Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #60,#82,#116,#138,#157,#180,#224,#240,#280,#372,#526**]  (Read 116221 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Who knows who the "young beautiful servant girl is supposed to be"? One might suspect the mention of her was supposed to be one of the first clues as to part of what's actually going on at Collinwood. Then again it could have just as easily have been a red herring. Perhaps only Sam Hall and DC would have known for sure, but neither can tell us now...

But as for the room we see Carlotta in having been Sarah's, it was. That's why we see her screaming from its window in both Quentin's memory and in the actual sequence of Angelique's hanging. And that would have been made clearer had the film included the scene in which Mrs. Castle takes Sarah to her room, tells her there's nothing they can do for Angelique, and also tells her to stay away from the window. But, of course, as we do actually see later, Sarah doesn't stay away from the window and she witnesses Angelique's hanging.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The other day I happened to catch this moment while I was getting the capture for that day's quote:

And I knew I had to not only share it here, but to post it on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Night of Dark Shadows" and "Caption This! - Night of Dark Shadows" boards for cousins to have fun with.

Enjoy!  [easter_grin]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
But as for the room we see Carlotta in having been Sarah's, it was. That's why we see her screaming from its window in both Quentin's memory and in the actual sequence of Angelique's hanging. And that would have been made clearer had the film included the scene in which Mrs. Castle takes Sarah to her room, tells her there's nothing they can do for Angelique, and also tells her to stay away from the window. But, of course, as we do actually see later, Sarah doesn't stay away from the window and she witnesses Angelique's hanging.

It does seem very odd for such a significant second floor room to be Sarah's. Surely she would have had a third floor room. I can't recall exactly what room the scene takes place in, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's Anna Gould's bedroom (and the same room that Elizabeth is shown in a near-catatonic state in HODS). But I might be mistaken. Either way, second floor would be quite inappropriate for a servant.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Either way, second floor would be quite inappropriate for a servant.

Well, we all know DC - he never did operate by accepted convention - and he's the one who staged the scenes in that second floor room:

Perhaps the actual servants rooms were all too small to accommodate a film crew...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting the picture, MB!  I guess I was wrong about which room we're talking about.  The room I had been thinking of is north of there, just above the dining room.  But still, a second floor room with a significant bay window facing the river seems a bit extravagant for a servant's daughter.  Then again, as you said, it's quite possible the third floor rooms are just too cramped; it's been a very long time since I've looked at the floor plans (and I have no idea what they look like in real life, since they won't let visitors up there...) .  Also, the bay window makes for a much more interesting image in the film than those tiny little third floor windows!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I guess I was wrong about which room we're talking about.  The room I had been thinking of is north of there, just above the dining room.

But you were right about the room that Liz was seen in in hoDS because that room above the dining room was used as Carolyn's bedroom.  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of)
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2016, 12:00:15 AM »
Picking up Scene 59 where we left off in reply #73 and with yesterday's quote, which was Quentin's reply to Alex' remark about Collinwood supposedly being haunted by "a young beautiful servant girl":

Page 23/Scene 59 - Quentin: 'If she cleans well, we'll hire her.'

And that's followed by the script continuing with:

CLAIRE
                 It's time for lunch.

She gets up and starts for the kitchen.

What do you want - ham or tuna-
                 fish?

ALEX
                 Both.

QUENTIN
                 The same.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 23/Scene 59 - Claire (kissing Quentin): 'Lovely having you here ... despite my welcome.'

- comes up, followed by the script explaining:

She EXITS into the kitchen.

And as far as the differences in the dialogue go, before bringing up lunch, Claire laughs at Quentin's remark about hiring the girl if she cleans well - and Claire's quoted line from today is dropped from the scene - and obviously it was dropped for the same reason that the beginning of Scene 59 was reworked: because Scene 58 was reworked - and in DC's version of the script, Claire's dropped line actually has a box drawn around it and a big X drawn in the box - however, DC's script does not replace it with what Claire actually does do and say before she leaves the room, and that's to sigh and say "Right" as if she should have known they'd want both.

And when it comes to the differences in the descriptions and directions, Claire just simply stands up before she asks if they want ham or tuna - and we might presume she's going to the kitchen when she exits, but we don't actually see her go there because she simply leaves the room.

And after tomorrow's quote comes up, we'll get into the section of Scene 59 that's different in DC's script from the way it's written in Grayson's script. But more on that tomorrow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And now the next section of Scene 59 as it appears in DC's script, starting off with today's quote:

Page 23/Scene 59 - Alex: 'My rich landlord who doesn't charge rent, how do you like the estate?'

And that's followed by the script continuing with:

Quentin looks at him.

QUENTIN
                 When did you and Claire get here?

ALEX
                 About two weeks ago.  I thought you'd
                 never get here.

Quentin looks a little concerned.

ALEX
                      (noticing it)
                 Hey -- what's the matter?
                 Is something wrong?

And that's it for now.

And as far as the differences in the dialogue go, when it comes to today's quote, Alex actually says "So my rich landlord who, uh, doesn't charge rent, how's, uh, life in the old estate?" which sort of takes an element from what Alex was originally scripted to say, but that will come up once we get into the version of this section in Grayson's script - and then, as the second part of his dialogue from the second bit dealt with here, Alex actually says "Man, I thought you were never gonna show up" - and then for his third bit of dialogue dealt with here, Alex actually asks "Hey, Pal, what's wrong?"

And when it comes to the differences in the descriptions and directions, Alex actually gets up from the chair across the room that he's been sitting in and moves to sit next to Quentin on the couch as he asks Quentin how life is in the old estate - and in response to Alex, Quentin simply gives a little nod and smile rather than just looking at him.

And getting back to a notation that I'd mentioned that DC made in his script but I was holding off on getting into, that was because the notation says that Alex should have a "line about him being here for 2 weeks", which is no doubt why that was added later in this reworked section that we've just gotten into. But who knows why DC felt it was needed because, unless I'm forgetting something down the road, I don't think it ever pays off in any way in the script/film...

And in my next post we'll see how this section was written in Grayson's script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This section of Scene 59 as it appears in Grayson's script:

ALEX
                 So how do you feel, my rich
                 landlord who doesn't charge rent?

QUENTIN
                 I don't know.

Alex looks at him.

ALEX
                      (serious)
                 Why?  Is something wrong?

Then kidding again, he pulls down Quentin's eyelid,
       goes into his doctor bit.

And there you have it. And I've gone just a little bit further in the script than I did with DC's so that next time you can see how that last bit is written somewhat differently in DC's script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Picking up where we left off in DC's script:

Quentin shakes his head trying to laugh it off.  Then Alex
       kiddingly pulls down Quentin's eyelid, goes into his doctor bit.

And that when today's quote -

Page 23/Scene 59 - Alex: 'Blood-shot eyes. Unsuitable pallor.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to what's different in the dialogue, Alex actually says "Hey... Blood-shot eyes. Unsuitable pallor."

And as far as the differences in the descriptions and directions go, Quentin doesn't shake his head trying to laugh it off or otherwise - and Alex doesn't kiddingly pull down Quentin's eyelid because he simply leans closer sounding a bit like a doctor, and about all he does to Quentin is partly, as can just barely be seen in today's capture -

- is touch Quentin's shoulder, and then he briefly touches Quentin's face when comments on its "pallor".

And the differences between DC's and Grayson's scripts have already been dealt with.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
God, as the years go by, I'm finding John Karlen to be sexier and sexier in this movie...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up]  Must be the hair.  [easter_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And wrapping up Scene 59:

59     CONTD (2)                             (2) CONTD   59

Page 24/Scene 59 - Quentin: 'I didn't sleep well last night. It's a funny thing about this place. I keep imagining things...'

comes up, followed in the script by:

ALEX
                 What do you mean imagining things?

QUENTIN
                      (hesitates for a moment)
                 Oh, it's nothing.  Forget it.

ALEX
                      (laughing)
                 No -- man.
                      (joking)
                 Maybe I can use it.  You know,
                 we're starting a new gothic ...

QUENTIN
                 Oh, yeah.  That reminds me ...
                 we've got a library over there
                 that's got to be loaded with
                 material.  Be my guest.

As Claire ENTERS with a tray of sandwiches.

End of scene.

And as far as the differences in the dialogue go, as the first part of his first line here Quentin actually says "Well, Doc, I didn't sleep well last night" - and as his second bit of dialogue, Quentin actually says "Nothing. Forget it" - and Alex actually replies to that with "No -- man. Maybe I can use it.  Claire and I are starting a new gothic novel", with no laughing and not actually joking - and the "Oh, yeah" is dropped from Quentin's third bit of dialogue, and he actually says "That reminds me ... I've got a library over there that's got to be full of material. Be my guest" - and to that Alex replies with an unscripted "I'd appreciate that" - and after Quentin makes room on the coffee table for the returning Claire's tray of sandwiches, she replies with an unscripted "Thank you.".

And when it comes to the differences in the descriptions and directions, Quentin actually laughs after Alex comments on his bloodshot eyes and unsuitable pallor and before he delivers his version of today's quote - and though Quentin does indeed hesitate before he tells Alex to forget his comment about imaging things, he also smiles to further discourage Alex - and after Alex says he appreciates access to the library, he slaps Quentin on the arm - and as I already mentioned, Quentin clears room on the coffee table when Claire returns.

And when we get to the next scene, there are all sorts of notations in Grayson's script that we'll deal with next time...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
[pointing-up]  Must be the hair.  [easter_cheesy]

HA!  I wasn't even noticing his hair!  Yeah, that needs a little attention with a comb...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
his hair!  Yeah, that needs a little attention with a comb...

It's the tousled bedhead hair look.  [naughty]