Author Topic: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 97529 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #330 on: June 01, 2014, 06:37:50 AM »
Ooh, if I remember correctly, in this current scene [spoiler]there's a mention of Laura Collins.  I remember being intrigued by that.[/spoiler]

Can't wait to see this scene unfold! 

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 02, 2014, 05:02:37 AM »
After yesterday's quote -

Page 27 - Victoria: 'I've had better nights.'

- (which was certainly an understatement from Vicki given what David did), the script indicates -

Sophia enters, setting a plate of eggs in front of Victoria. As Sophia's about to leave, Roger shoots her a sly smile.

- and today's quote from Roger comes up in the script -

Page 27 - Roger: 'If it happens again, see Sophia. She has some fantastic remedies for getting a good night's sleep.'

- followed by the script explaining -

As a TELEPHONE RINGS off-screen, Sophia blushes and leaves. Victoria registers the odd by-play, but lets it go.

- but none of that actually takes place in the scene as it is in the pilot because Roger isn't a part of the scene.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
Oddly enough, given this scene is going to be about David, today's quote -

Page 28 - Elizabeth: 'So have you met David yet?'

- was dropped from the scene as it appears in the pilot. Though I suppose that when we see the bit that was dropped from tomorrow's quote in response to Elizabeth's question, it will make some sense.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 04, 2014, 02:55:16 AM »
I love it that I asked about Maggie and Sam scenes in the 1991 show, and today's image from that rotation is a scene where the two are talking.

Of course, I still don't really remember the scene.  Very cool to learn more about the breakfast scene!  It was definitely one of the more interesting moments (to me, at least) from the 2004 pilot.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »
Before Vicki delivers today's quote in the script, the script indicates:

Victoria reflexively touches the knot on the back of her head, forcing a smile.

Then Vicki replies in the script with:

Page 28 - Victoria: 'We bumped into each other. (beat) Before we get started, I could use some more background. Anything you think might have impacted his behavior.'

However, everything concerning the bump to Vicki's head (which I'm still not sure she even sustained in the pilot) was dropped in the pilot and Vicki gets right to the point after explaining how she slept by telling Elizabeth: "I could use some more background on David. Anything you think might impact his behavior."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 04, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »
Very cool to learn more about the breakfast scene!  It was definitely one of the more interesting moments (to me, at least) from the 2004 pilot.

I agree. And one thing I find interesting is that in it Blair Brown portrays Elizabeth very much in the way we've come to expect Elizabeth to behave, yet some fans tend to simply fixate on the way Elizabeth initially greets Vicki (enthusiastically, to say the least) as if it's the only way Blair Brown's Elizabeth behaves in the entire pilot, yet nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact, with the exception of what amounts to the 10 seconds of Elizabeth's first scene, I find Blair Brown performance to be in keeping with the way Elizabeth has been portrayed in every other version of DS. It boggles my mind that some choose to judge Blair Brown's performance solely on one 10 second sequence and to completely ignore everything else she does throughout the rest of the pilot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 05, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »
Given that there's a graphic of Elizabeth yet a quote from Roger, who isn't in the scene, you've probably already figured out that today's quote -

Page 28 - Roger: 'It's all in his file.'

- was given to Elizabeth in the combined scene. Though what Elizabeth actually says is "Well, I’m sure you’ll find all you need in his medical file." And then to attempt to change the subject, she quickly asks, "Tea?"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 06, 2014, 02:55:13 AM »
I am very happy to see Liz is still serving tea in '04. One of my all-time favorite OS scenes involves Liz & Tea and Roger & Vicki. I don't remember if Liz serves tea in '12. Surely she did in '91? If anything, this redeems her from the horror of my first impression.

This thread is amazing.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 06, 2014, 06:18:08 PM »
Rather than delivering today's quote -

Page 28 - Victoria: 'Not everything. For instance, what's his relationship with his mother?'

- as scripted, after Vicki acknowledges that she would like some tea, what she says in the pilot is "Not everything. For instance, there's no mention of his mother" as Elizabeth pours the tea for her. And after pouring the tea, it's quite obvious due to Elizabeth's silence that she's taken aback by Vicki bringing up David's mother.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 06, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »
Wonderful work.

dom's comment makes me want to hunt through the early discs to try and find the scene he references involving tea, Liz, Roger and Miss Winters...

G.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 06, 2014, 09:19:33 PM »
The dialog in these scenes really make me think about how the basic DS story of Vicki coming to work at Collinwood was born is a much more innocent (naive?) time. I mean, come on--really, based on the kind of person Vicki is presented as being, aren't these the kind of things she would have asked well before accepting this position?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 07, 2014, 03:09:42 AM »
Well... given this Vicki's awareness of Roger's Forbes status (which makes one wonder what the HELL the guy is doing in a backwater like Collinsport), she may have been more of a gold-digger than any of the previous Vickis... or at least been angling for a cushy job as house therapist to the troubled scion.  I don't recall any text about Vicki's coming to Collinwood as a personal quest for identity... I think if this was present at all in the 1991 Vicki, it was pretty understated...

I can't wait to see what MB and friends pull out of the hat when we get to the Angelique bits!  Angelique as I recall her from my one viewing really did not work for me in the pilot but it's not really fair to judge on something as brief as a 40 minute piece of unfinished film.  This thread is giving me much more of a picture of what was intended.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 07, 2014, 05:54:47 PM »
Something we probably need to remember is that supposedly Vicki was simply given David's medical file - she never met the Collinses before she was hired. In fact, unlike in past TV versions of DS, the pilot gives us no idea how Vicki was hired. In the original series, a letter was sent to Vicki's foundling home requesting her services - and that certainly wouldn't work nowadays - which is no doubt why it was even abandoned in the '91 DS in favor of Vicki being hired by the Collinses' lawyer. The latter may have also been the case with this Vicki. Or maybe not because the voiceover tells us that Vicki also has her own hopes unrelated to tutoring David. So, it's quite possible that the lack of an explanation regarding Vicki's hiring might mean it was something that was deliberately left out of the pilot so as to be gotten into had the pilot gone to series. But as the pilot stands we also have no way of knowing whether or not Vicki was given any info about David's mother before deciding to take the job. Though if she was, in all likelihood it would have been that the Collinses refuse to talk about her. And despite that, Vicki still decided to take the job - and for all we know, her question about David's mother in this scene might have been her sly way to try to get to the truth about David's mother.

All that being speculated, though, what will become clear before the scene ends is that a bit of dramatic license needs to be granted to the scene because it's really not about David's mother - it's about Roger's reaction to the subject of David's mother. Having Vicki question and comment about the lack of info concerning David's mother is really a device to elicit Roger's reaction, which we'll soon see is intense. And that's something that makes all the sadder the fact that all of Roger's stuff was dropped from the script for the pilot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 07, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
I don't recall any text about Vicki's coming to Collinwood as a personal quest for identity...

Actually, part of Vicki's opening voiceover for this pilot states:

"I've been hired to tutor a troubled boy, but I keep feeling like that's only the beginning of my journey. I'm hoping that somehow, out of the darkness, I'll finally find answers to the mysteries of my own past..."

I think if this was present at all in the 1991 Vicki, it was pretty understated...

It also came up in the opening voiceover of the pilot, and believe it or not it was explored in several scenes in the present - though not to the extent that it was in the original DS.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 07, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »
This Vicki is a lot feistier than earlier incarnations were. Good thing, because this David seems to be much more seriously disturbed.
Fade Away and Radiate