Author Topic: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 98118 times)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »
Those pictures are great, MB--thanks so much! BTW, it sounds as though Greystone is a real place. Am I right?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2014, 09:12:25 PM »
Was there any full-scale scene/pic of Collinwood?  I mean, the OS used the Carey Mansion in Newport, and '91 used that Lego thing.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »
Yes, the pilot used actual shots of different areas of Greystone for Collinwood.  [snow_smiley]

(One thing we have to remember about the '91 DS is that the real reasons they used the model for many shots of Collinwood are twofold. One was because they extended the building with an entire wing that doesn't actually exist at Greystone - all the better to have closed off areas of the house.  [snow_wink]  And the other was that some of the trees on the property are so tall nowadays that it's impossible to shoot those areas of the exterior of the house because those trees are so close that they completely block it.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2014, 01:10:14 AM »
Rather than what's quoted from the script today -

Page 07 - Victoria: 'Wow. (off Elizabeth's smile) You probably get that a lot.'

- what Vicki actually says in the pilot is "Wow. It's beautiful. But you probably get that a lot." The "it's beautiful" part was actually scripted to come after Liz' response to today's quote, but apparently they decided to combine them. But then, part of Liz' response was also dropped in the pilot. But more on that tomorrow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2014, 01:28:52 AM »
Believe it or not, today's quote in the slideshow is actually the same in the script and the pilot:

Page 07 - Elizabeth: 'We do, and it is.'

I'm thinking we haven't seen that since the opening voiceover. However, as I intimated yesterday, that wasn't all Liz was supposed to say. She was supposed to follow that with "The house is overwhelming at first, but you'll get used to it." And Vicki was supposed to respond "Actually, it's beautiful." That line directly set up the next line of dialogue, which introduces a new character into the pilot. But as we'll see, things still work the way it was handled in the pilot. And perhaps getting to the new character a bit quicker was why Vicki's lines were merged and that second bit of Liz' dialogue was dropped.

Who will the new character be? We'll see shortly...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »
Enter Roger, as played by Martin Donovan.  I have no memory at all of Donovan's work in this, so color me fascinated all over again.

Thanks MB!  Good luck with our latest Winter Wonderland!  Tonight I am going to see a one night only showing of Stranger by the Lake, a new French film that I am quite intrigued by.  I doubt it would be of interest; it only features copious full frontal male nudity in a gorgeous natural setting... a cottage by the lake that seems reminiscent of where I tend to vacation every August...

cheers, G.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »
Not only full frontal, Gothick, but actual explicit sex.  And I do mean explicit.  Rather slow going at first, but it turned out to be one of the most suspenseful films I have ever seen.  Definitely worth seeing.

Back on topic:  Was there an Old House in the 2004 pilot, and if so what portrayed it?  (Although I suppose that answer would be forthcoming in the slide show one day...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2014, 12:50:03 AM »
Sneaky way of slipping in an OT discussion of that film. But we'll have no more of that in this topic - no matter how interesting many of our members may find it.  [ghost_nowink]

As for the Old House, it was CGI generated in the pilot. Use this link:
for the sake of those who've never seen the pilot, here's what I once posted about the look of the Old House:
to go back to reply #51 in this topic to get an idea of what it looked like.  [snow_wink]

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2014, 02:10:36 AM »
Isn't Roger's lines about "a bitch to keep up" echoed in the 2012 film?  Doesn't Willie say something about the house being "a bitch to dust"?  (I could be wrong, though.)  Fascinating, these echoes ... ripples ... Dark Shadows, I love you and your iterations ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2014, 03:16:34 AM »
Alas, I missed the screening... I got the wrong info about the venue.  Perhaps another time...

Was Martin Donovan in more than this one scene?  I like the edge of snark and savvy in this Roger... too bad I can't remember him at all...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2014, 03:52:53 AM »
Isn't Roger's lines about "a bitch to keep up" echoed in the 2012 film?  Doesn't Willie say something about the house being "a bitch to dust"?  (I could be wrong, though.)

You are not wrong. I just looked up the scene and when Vicki remarks that the Great Hall is beautiful, Willie says "A bitch to dust is what it is." I'd forgotten all about that. Great memory!  [snow_wink]

Fascinating, these echoes ... ripples ... Dark Shadows, I love you and your iterations ...

Quite fascinating!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2014, 04:02:03 AM »
About the only thing I have to say about today's quote -

Page 08 - Roger (O.S.): 'And like most beautiful things, a bitch to maintain.'

- is that in the pilot it's ever so slightly different in that Roger says "And like most beautiful things, it's a bitch to maintain." Well, and I just love that line because it instantly gives an indication of what Roger's personality is like.  [snow_wink]

As for how many scenes Roger appears in in the pilot, as we'll see, he appears in several. And though he's not in all the scenes he is scripted to appear in, he actually appears in scenes in the pilot that he isn't scripted to appear in. But we'll get into all that as those various scenes come up in the slideshow.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2014, 04:06:49 AM »
Delightful!  Thanks again, MB.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2014, 05:08:02 AM »
There are but a few things to say about today's quote -

Page 08 - Elizabeth: 'Miss Winters, this is...'

- with the first being that the smile Liz had been displaying to Vicki fades as Roger enters, as the script describes him, "nursing a drink" (and would we have him enter any other way? [snow_wink]) and "with cynical eyes." Liz also adds "my brother" to the end of her line, as in "Miss Winters, this is my brother..." before being cut off. How does she get cut off? Well, we see that in the next quote.  [snow_smiley]

And from this point on in the pilot's version of the scene the dialogue is delivered virtually verbatim from the script. Though there will also be a few bits of added dialogue here and there along with dropped dialogue. But more on all that as things come up...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »
A far as today's quote goes -

Page 08 - Roger (CONT'D): 'I suppose we owe you an apology. Loomis should have delivered you an hour ago.'

- in the pilot Roger dialogue isn't actually directly continued because a line by another character gets inserted between what Roger is scripted to say. The description in the script between Roger's quotes from yesterday and today says:

Behind them, Willie enters, setting Victoria's bags in the Great Hall. Seeing Willie, Roger's face tightens.

But in the pilot before Roger delivers today's quote about Willie, Willie says an unscripted "Excuse me" as he comes in carrying Vicki's bags.