Author Topic: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 98277 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And Even Yet Another New Slideshow
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Today marks the debut of even yet another new slideshow: the 2004 DS Pilot 10th Anniversary Year Slideshow. Chances are pretty good that you've already noticed it on the BoardIndex page of the forum.  [santa_smiley]  How it will work is that each day of each month quotes will be featured from the 2004 DS Pilot's script, with Midnite, dom, and myself alternating months. To kick the slideshow off, dom is up with January's quotes. I'll be up for February. And Midnite will be up for March. One thing that will be different about this slideshow, though, it that it will rarely feature screen captures from the pilot because so little video is publicly available from it (luckily video from part of the opening sequence is). So to make up for that, most quotes will be accompanied by stills. However, because it's also the case that so few stills from the pilot are publicly available, it will rarely be the case that the stills accompanying the quotes are from the actual scenes in the script - though that will be the case in some instances. But one thing that should prove interesting is that the slideshow will include dialogue from scenes that were trimmed in the actual pilot or never shot at all. And some of the scenes will also appear in different spots in the script than they do in the pilot. Such occurrences will be pointed out as the slideshow unfolds - as will any other differences along the way.  [santa_wink]

And to make room for this new slideshow, some previous slideshows have been moved around or have temporarily disappeared. No doubt you've already noticed that the 2012 DS Film Slideshow is now here atop the Current Talk board. The '91 DS Series Slideshow has moved atop the Calendar Events / Announcements board. However, the Movies Quotes Slideshow has disappeared. But don't despair because it will return at a later time with an almost complete revamping.

So, enjoy following along with the 2004 DS Pilot Slideshow throughout its 10th Anniversary year.  [santa_smiley]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: And Even Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »
Thanks and happy new year, MB! This will be my first sight of the 2004 pilot, so I really do appreciate your hard work!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:23:59 AM »
Heavens, what an undertaking!  Making a 45 minute piece of film last an entire year sounds really radical, especially when you have access to so little visual material.  Perhaps an angel out there will be inspired by your project to supply you with more material for this.  I hope so.  (I alas have nothing beyond the Youtube clip I posted a few weeks ago.)

Happy New Year M. B., Midnite, dom, and all who contribute to making this such a special DS home for all of us.

cheers, GothEEEEEEK

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »
Believe it or not, so far as quotes go, we have much more than enough material to last the year. We haven't picked all the specific quotes we'll use, but so far as mapping out how much material there is to chose from per month, we figured all that out back in November before we decided to move ahead with the project and surprisingly, as is similarly the case with every quotes slideshow we've done so far, there is still a good amount of dialogue that won't be able to be touched upon in only 366 days (we account for leap years). (Though as with the other slideshows, we will be explaining about whatever doesn't get touched upon whenever needed.) One thing that certainly helps to last the entire year is the never shot scenes in the script.  [santa_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 05:47:39 AM »
This is a very exciting project!  The only drawback, as far as I am concerned, is that by sometime in February, I'm going to be really jonesing for another screening of the pilot, which of course is unavailable.

Thank you all for putting in the time, energy, and imagination to realize such a fascinating endeavor.

G.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
Wow, what a cool idea for a slideshow! Thanks!!  (When I got my first look at the new slideshow today, I was totally confused.  The quote--regarding the date on Victoria's train ticket--sounded like some kind of DS parody!   [santa_shocked])

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »
Interestingly enough, October is the new June.  Since the pilot, October has been the chosen month for Victoria's arrival at Collinwood in all of the recent projects. 

And, thank you, MB, Midnite, and Dom, for putting this together.  I am very excited to experience this version of DS for the first time! 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:46:20 AM »
Did Vicki arrive in Depp Shadows in October as well?  I don't recall that being mentioned...

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 12:53:20 AM »
Gothick...if memory serves, some of the leaves were changing color. (But, in Maine, this probably happens in mid-to-late September.)

Patti

PS...so MB, I'm still not clear on the "V.O."...??
What a Woman!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:19:57 AM »
She did arrive in October, at least if we are to believe her arrival is within days of that of Barnabas.  Willie tells Barnabas "It's October.  That's why there's pumpkins."  A true statement -- pumpkins in a small garden would generally not be that ripe until October. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 01:40:00 AM »
Indeed, Cousin_Barnabas. And the pumpkins in the pumpkin patch will be on display again in the slideshow for the film once we reach somewhere around the middle of March.  [santa_smiley]

PS...so MB, I'm still not clear on the "V.O."...??

Maybe the capture/quote from yesterday will help:

Page 01 - Victoria (V.O.): 'It's October 31st... Halloween. The date didn't
even register when the train tickets arrived.'

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 02:59:09 AM »
How did you get a copy of this?  Does you-know-who know about it?  Aren't you afraid he'll get his army of lawyers out after you? Don't you know that he represents DCP and wants to make sure it gets every nickle it deserves?  It doesn't matter that the '04 version will never make a cent.  He wants his cent.  He'll get it, you know.  Anyway, at least in dialogue form, I finally get to see it (until you-inow-who decides to line up his lawyers).

Gerard (Who has no respect for you-know-who [whose initials are DP], a bloodsucker worse than Barnabas could ever be.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 04:18:40 AM »
You-know-who is well aware. You needn't worry.  [santa_wink]

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »
It kinda kills me that a) this was never picked up, b) it (reputedly) killed Angel on the WB, and c) I QUIT GOING TO FESTS JUST AS IT WAS BEING SHOWN AT THEM!  ... pant, pant.  Sorry.  I get so emotional, baby.

But thanks to all of you for coming up with the slideshow.  I know it's been quite a body of work.  You rule.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »
This Vicki is a lot more hip than any of the other Vickis--chic bob, very sophisticated use of cosmetics for somebody who just came from working in a foundling home, and apparently a viewer of such fare as Oprah and the Daily Show.

Fascinating.

G.