Author Topic: Movie Cast Ideas  (Read 15951 times)

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Movie Cast Ideas
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:15:29 AM »
My Movie Cast

Barnabas Collins --- Johnny Depp
Dr Julia Hoffman/ Countess Natalie duPres ---Helen Boton Carter (sugested to me by our Prof Stokes)
Willie Loomis ----Shia LaBeouf
Victoria Winters -Ellen Page
Professor Timothy Eliot Stokes/Ben Stokes--- Philip Seymour Hoffman
Elizabet Collins Stoddard/ Niomi Collins --- Susan Sarandon
Roger Collins / Joshua Collins --- Kelsey Grammer
Carolyn Stoddard/Millicent Collins --- Evan Rachel Wood
Burke Devlin/Jeremiah Collins --- Matt Dillon
Maggie Evans/ Josette DuPres --- Zoe Deschanel
Angelique/Casandra Collllins  ----- Isla Fisher
Tony Peterson/Rev Trask ---Joaquin Phoenix
Sarah Collins --- Abagail Brweslin
Nicholas Blair--- Sasha Baron Cohen
Sam Evans/Andre du Pres --- John Goodman
David Collins/Daniel Collins ---?????????
Joe Haskell /Lt. Nathan Forbes --- James Franco
Jason McGuire --- Pierce Brosnan
Eagle Hill Cemitary Caretaker ---- Jonathin Frid
Dr. Dave Woodard --- Michael Keaton
Mrs. Johnson /Abagail Collins --- Jane Kaczmarek

I want everyones's ideas
Dan

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Cast Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:56:21 AM »
Interesting choices. Though Ellen Page recently signed on to do a remake of Jane Eyre, so chances are she wouldn't necessarily want to repeat herself so soon by going the Gothic governess route again.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:26:09 PM »
While I love Ellen Page in "Juno", "An American Crime", and "Hard Candy", I don't think she'd be right for Vicki Winters. In the other topic that was for the movie cast list, someone suggested Anne Hathaway, who I think would do a fair job. As for what I think:

Barnabas--Johnny Depp
Julia--Helena Bonham Carter

Those are the only two I'm really locked in about. Most of the cast, IMO, should be unknowns. Vicki should definitely be an unknown. The Collins family, like Liz, Roger, David, and Carolyn, should be some B-List actors who we don't see very often (or should I say don't notice very often) because they are great character actors. And I think if Quentin is included, Hugh Jackman would be a wonderful choice, but let's hope they leave out or only hint at his lycanthropy so that it can be a possible sequel. We don't want to get the first film too bogged down.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
Eagle Hill Cemitary Caretaker ---- Jonathin Frid

Ooh, this one is brilliant!! 

On a Depp board the other day, someone was asking me whether there would be a part for Christopher Lee (because Tim often casts him).  The caretaker was the only role that came to mind- he seems a bit too old and doesn't quite the right type of demeanor for Prof. Stokes.  But I think I'd like Frid even more!

They also asked who Helena Bonham Carter would play, and I also said Julia (I don't think she'd be well-suited for anyone else).

Awhile back, someone mentioned Charlize Theron as Angelique, and I have not been able to get that possibility out of my mind-- Charlize is a dead ringer for Lara!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:53:07 AM »
I mentioned on another thread that Helen Mirren would be perfect as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (or Naomi Collins, depending on how Depp is going to approach this).

Gerard

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 01:14:05 AM »
I'm just throwing things out there without really thinking....not all the characters are listed.

Barnabas: Johnny Depp

Present Day
Willie: Jensen Ackles
Carolyn: Evan Rachel Wood (perfect suggestion!)
Victoria: Anne Hathaway or Natalie Portman
Julia Hoffman: Gillian Anderson

I actually think that starting with 1795 is the best idea for the film, but I'm not sure about my picks the cast, yet....

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 01:28:01 AM »
As DLA75 posted I think Depp would pay homage to Frid and give him a cameo in the movie if Frid was in favor of doing it.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 10:24:35 PM »
Some here I love, some I like, and some I just don't really get. I agree with Brandon Collins about Ellen Page just not seeming very Vicki to me. I also just don't see Helen Mirren as Elizabeth. I know I mentioned my pet peeve about British actors playing Americans on another thread, but that's not it here. It's just... I don't know. Joan Bennett, though not fat, was... well, I don't know how to say it, but by the time DS came around, she wasn't delicate by any means. Helen Mirren, and Jean Simmons, for that matter, while excellent actresses, both just seem a little too delicate to be Elizabeth.

I'm just going to throw out random ideas for characters that may or may not be in the movie here. I'm going to skip Barnabas, as Depp is a sure thing there.

For Julia, the previously mentioned Helena Bonham Carter or Gillian Anderson would suit me just fine. Both are talented actresses that would do very well with the part. My ideal choice would be Juliet Landau (aka Drusilla). She's about the right age for it (early forties) and bears a resemblence to Grayson Hall.

Lots of people on other boards have already thrown Josh Holloway out there for Quentin, and though I highly doubt Quentin will even make it into the movie, it's a very good choice.

As far as Jason Maguire goes, I think Pierce Brosnan hits it right on the head. Good choice there.
Kelsey Grammer is so perfect for Roger that Burton is a dope if he doesn't ask for him or find someone who can do better.

For Maggie, I'd like Emmy Rossum or, to take a pretty huge jump from KLS, Keshia Knight-Pulliam.

Already given my opinion on Helen Mirren as Elizabeth, so now I'll add that I concur that Susan Sarandon would be a good choice.

As for Angelique... dunno. Maybe, though she's a bit old for it, to throw another Cosby kid in the mix, Lisa Bonet. Having a black Angelique also makes a lot more sense given the character's background (well, that particular incarnation of the character, that is).
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 10:37:35 PM »
I mentioned on another thread that Helen Mirren would be perfect as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (or Naomi Collins, depending on how Depp is going to approach this).

I also think Helen Mirren would make a great Elizabeth. I don't have any problem with British actors/actresses playing Americans or vice versa. Susan Sarandon is a great actress....but I just can't see her as Elizabeth. There's a quality about Elizabeth that I don't think Susan would be able to convey...however, I do think Helen has it.

I can't see Ellen Page as Vicki either. My choice would be Kate Beckinsale.

Otherwise, I agree with just about all of DLA75's casting choices.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 12:10:53 AM »
Quentin (if applicable): Ashton Kutcher

Carolyn: Lindsay Lohan (LOL!)
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 02:16:47 AM »
If Quentin will even be in the new movie. His character would have to have perfect posture. That was one of the things that stood out about him in the television series.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »
I don't have any problem with British actors/actresses playing Americans or vice versa.

Oh, I wouldn't really mind that much if it didn't seem that the way it happened was "American plays British person, accent gets picked apart on forums; British person plays American person, accent gets rabidly praised on forums." Hearing about Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins or Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones constantly while almost never hearing about Jude Law in Cold Mountain or similar cases gets old really, really fast. And I respectfully disagree with you on Kate Beckinsale, again, not because she's British, but because I think that she's a woman in her thirties and it shows. It would stretch credibility for her to be playing the 18-year-old naive governess fresh out of the orphan shack.

And also, I'm going to backtrack here and change my opinions on a couple of things. As far as Susan Sarandon goes, I've changed my mind. I think she'd be great for the part if she wasn't too old for it, which is another reason I disagree about Helen Mirren. So I'd like to say Gillian Anderson for Elizabeth, not Julia. I hadn't seen it in any photos or films before, or since then for that matter, but I saw a photo of Joan Bennett that looked so much like Gillian Anderson it's scary. So, borrowing previous statements about the cast where I'm happy with it, here's my ideal cast:

Barnabas Collins - Johnny Depp
Dr. Julia Hoffman - Juliet Landau
Willie Loomis - Shia LaBeouf
Victoria Winters - ???? (this one still has me stumped)
Professor Timothy Eliot Stokes - Philip Seymour Hoffman
Elizabet Collins Stoddard - Gillian Anderson
Roger Collins - Kelsey Grammer
Carolyn Stoddard - ???? (Evan Rachel Wood looks the part, but I don't know how well she can act, as I've never seen her in anything)
Burke Devlin - Josh Brolin
Maggie Evans - Emmy Rossum
Angelique - ???? (See Carolyn)
Tony Peterson - Joaquin Phoenix
Sarah Collins - ???? (I don't know any child actors nowadays, and though Abigail Breslin is a good actress, she's the new Dakota Fanning in that she's getting EVERY role for a litle girl)
Nicholas Blair - ????
Sam Evans - ????
David Collins - ???? (see Sarah)
Joe Haskell /Lt. Nathan Forbes --- James Franco
Jason McGuire - Pierce Brosnan
Eagle Hill Cemetery Caretaker - Jonathan Frid
Dr. Dave Woodard - Michael Keaton
Mrs. Johnson /Abagail Collins - ????

I left out my previous suggestion of Keshia Knight-Pulliam for Maggie here because that'd definitely require changing it to Vicki looking like Josette, as a young woman of aristocratic French descent being black would be beyond unbelievable, historically.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »
Even though they deny that it's a given, I would expect Helena Bonham Carter to get a role, if Tim Burton is directing.  I don't know Juliet Landau, so I don't know how she would compare with Helena as Julia, but I can't think of another role that would suit Helena.  Of course, I could be wrong, and Tim might actually do a movie without her  [ghost_wink]

I don't know many child actors, either.  Doesn't Dakota Fanning have a younger sister?  The kid in Sweeney Todd, Ed Sanders, was quite good, but he seems to have grown about a foot and lowered his voice an octave or so since filming, so he might already be too old for David Collins. 

I've heard Hayden Panettiere (Heroes) mentioned for Carolyn- I could possibly see it, but wonder if they could get someone a little more flashy.

About Vicki's age, wasn't Joanna Going's version supposed to be 25?  I think that's a plausible age- someone who has been college educated and may even have a master's, but is still pretty young and fresh in the world.  Making her in her mid 20's would seem to open the door for more possibilities actress-wise, though I can't really think of anyone at the moment.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 03:36:43 PM »
On second thought, I just saw the subject header for "Crazy Jenny".  Well, it'd probably be a stretch to think that Crazy Jenny would be included in the cast, but if she were, that's Helena Bonham Carter, right there!   [ghost_smiley]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 05:49:45 PM »
I respectfully disagree with you on Kate Beckinsale, again, not because she's British, but because I think that she's a woman in her thirties and it shows. It would stretch credibility for her to be playing the 18-year-old naive governess fresh out of the orphan shack.

The daytime Vicki was 20 when DS started. And the '91 series' and the '04 pilot's Vickis were aged to their mid-20s. But as much as I like Kate Beckinsale, I agree that she probably couldn't pull off those age ranges.

(Evan Rachel Wood looks the part, but I don't know how well she can act, as I've never seen her in anything)

She acts rings around most of her contemporaries. She has talent in spades - though she tends to go the independent route. Off the top of my head I can't think of one major studio film that she's appeared in...

And welcome back, IluvBarnabas.  [ghost_smiley]