Author Topic: Movie Cast Ideas  (Read 15950 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Movie Cast Ideas
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2008, 02:09:11 AM »
I meant more for the (producers, directors to looks at) than us to talk about. LOL  I guess I should have made that clear.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2008, 04:22:16 AM »
Goober...the more I think about James Marsters posssibly could do it.  It had slipped my mind that James was theater actor before Buffy.  As I am sure you know it's the show that brought him  fame.  Having said that I think he may could do it James is a great actor.  I watched a bit of Buffy when it first came on, however, life got in the way, after school activities, Blah blah.  Anyways I ALWAYS thought he was British.  I never knew until I saw him in interviews on the Buffy DVDS.  He almost sounds weird to me in his English accent.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline starruby13

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »
I've been at the convention all weekend. I posed this question to Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott. Lara thought she would like to see Charlize Theron in the role as Angelique. Kathryn Leigh Scott thought Kiera Knightly would be great for the part of Maggie Evans/Josette Dupree. Someone in the audience actually suggested Angelina Jolie play Maggie. Kathryn thought the suggestion rather humerous and made some cheeky comment that  if Angelina were to portray Maggie, her top would have to fall off at some point in the movie. As much as we would love to see Jonathan Frid on the big screen, he made it clear that he was not interested in appearing in the new movie. I think the ladies are right on with their casting choices.

With not much forethought, here's some of my ideas for casting thus far:
Barnabas: Johnny Depp (of course)
Alan Rickman: Roger Collins
Kate Mulgrew: Elizabeth Collins Stoddard
(2nd) Helene Bonham Carter: Crazy Jenny
(2nd) Susan Sarandon: Dr. Julia Hoffman
Edward Norton: Willy Loomis
Jayne Wisener: Carolyn Stoddard
Sacha Baron Cohen: Adam
Anne Hathaway: Victoria Winters
Val Kilmer: Professor Timothy Stokes

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2008, 08:15:14 AM »
Which leads me to wonder if Maggie will be needed at all in the new movie. Maybe some cameo's.  Especially if once again Victoria is the reincarnaton of Josette.  I truly hope they go with that story. To me it made the story simply better.  IMHO

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2008, 01:29:33 PM »
Taeylor: I've heard dozens of stories of (British) people who were absolutely convinced that Marsters was British and didn't buy that he was an American until a few interviews were shown.

No, Maggie's really not needed in the movie. If they want to tell the story in two hours or so, they can quite easily leave out Maggie and do an HoDS-esque retelling of the initial Barnabas storyline. Aside from that, Kathryn Leigh Scott looked really good in that role, but I don't find Keira Knightley the slightest bit attractive, probably because of the bad nose job. Just my opinion. If they are going to do Maggie in the movie, Emmy Rossum is still my ideal.

Charllize Theron is my number 3 choice for Angelique, after Sarah Michelle Gellar (1) and Halle Berry (2).

I also think that Alan Rickman and Susan Sarandon are too old for those roles. I see Julia and Roger as being in their mid-40s, and Rickman and Sarandon are both in their mid-60s.

Good suggestion of Edward Norton for Willie. I can see that.

I'm stil looking for who I think would be a good Carolyn, though. None of the suggestions posted here have really clicked with me as, "Oh, yes, she's the one" for her, no offense intended.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2008, 08:44:57 PM »
Sorry for the double-post, but I was told by someone that Kathryn Leigh Scott just said that she thought Keira Knightley was a lovely actress and would do a good job with the part; it wasn't an outright endorsement; she was asked about Knightley specifically in that instance, so it's possible she was merely being polite. She also went on to imply that she'd prefer an unknown in the role.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2008, 05:06:15 AM »
I guess Judi Dench is too old to play Elizabeth Collins Stoddard however I think she would have been great as Liz. :)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2008, 08:59:11 AM »
No, Maggie's really not needed in the movie. If they want to tell the story in two hours or so, they can quite easily leave out Maggie and do an HoDS-esque retelling of the initial Barnabas storyline. Aside from that, Kathryn Leigh Scott looked really good in that role, but I don't find Keira Knightley the slightest bit attractive, probably because of the bad nose job. Just my opinion. If they are going to do Maggie in the movie, Emmy Rossum is still my ideal.

Kathryn Leigh Scott spent a large chunk of her Q&A on Sunday outlining the backstory and development arc that she would like to see for Maggie in the film.   Her ideal Maggie is tough, akin to pre-Barnabas Maggie, and as the primary caregiver to her itinerant, alcoholic, artist father, who is now going blind, she feels stifled and trapped in Collinsport. In this version, Maggie and Joe are already a couple, but he really has eyes for the rich girl who lives in the house on the hill. While Maggie dreams of a life and a career beyond the small fishiing village, she conscientiously attends to the diner and bakes her own pies.  When Barnabas visits the diner late one night, when Maggie is dog-tired after an especially long day, she is charmed by his (other)worldliness and they immediately connect.  This time when asked who was her pick of an actress to be Maggie, KLS cited "Someone edgy, someone like  Evan Rachel Wood."

ProfStokes

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2008, 10:12:44 AM »
I really see no need for Maggie unless she is ala the 1991 version who I LOVED!! IMHO of course.   If they do the Victoria is Josette's reincarnation  thing which I think is one of the best things that was updated for the 1991 version. It makes the history and backstory of Victoria more interesting to me.  Again JMHO!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
I agree with you, Taeylor. A movie is different than a series or mini-series, and some characters are most probably going to have to fall by the wayside simply because of the absence of adequate time and/or need to tie their stories into Barnabas' main narrative. The less directly connected some characters are to the Collins family, the less likely they are to appear - at least initially. Though who's to say what purpose they might serve in any potential sequels...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »
given the two hour time frame of a cinematic feature the number of supporting characters will indeed need to be limited.

which of course begs the question as to who will figure as the story's central ingenue...victoria or maggie.

this oscillated depending on what version of things was being played.both characters were depicted as having been josette's reincarnation in different versions.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2008, 12:14:06 AM »
PLEASE LET IT BE VICTORIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sorry.  I got carried away. I love KLS but Maggie never did anything for me.  I like early Maggie.  I have been watching DS BEGINNINGS Volume 1 and she told someone she wouldn't work there for a 100 dollars a day or something like that.  I just laughed and laughed.  I was like "HONEY" as early Maggie would say[spoiler] Your gonna eat your words one day when you become governess!![/spoiler]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2008, 12:20:11 AM »
needless to say i vote for vicki as well...

i love kls' early maggie as well but can never really get into her as collinwood governess later on.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2008, 12:28:37 AM »
The modern take seems to be Vicki as that was used in both the '91 series and the '04 pilot. Personally, I think it works much better than Maggie. In fact, I think Maggie is pretty much superfluous so far as the Depp/DS film might be. Well, unless they use her as one of Barnabas' early victims - perhaps even returning as a vampire as Carolyn did in hoDS, Daphne did in the '91 series, and Kelly Greer would have had the '04 pilot gone to series.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2008, 12:30:34 AM »
A combined character, as in HoDS, would be ideal, in my opinion. They should also have her already working at Collinwood when the movie opens. The fact that DC rushed to bring Barnabas into the 1991 show right away is one of my least favorite things about the Revival, and I'd prefer to have Maggicki already working at Collinwood to "Oh, here's the new governess, and the new vampire at the same time!"