Author Topic: Movie Cast Ideas  (Read 15943 times)

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Cast Ideas
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2008, 04:26:54 AM »
I'm in hopes that they will do the 1795 storyline. I mean, with everything else that has to go on after Barnabas gets released from his coffin, there isn't that much time to really get into his character and his whole story. It would just be kind of like House of Dark Shadows, I think, which I like but it leaves too much out. 1795 would be perfect - it has a beginning, a middle, and an end and they could cut some things out without losing anything from the story. Then, if they wanted to make another film, they could have Barnabas in present day and everybody (people who haven't seen the show I mean) would have all the history they need to understand it.

Also, I'm kind of hoping that Helena Bonham Carter won't be in this. She's a good actress but she is in pretty much all of Tim Burton's movies these days and often alongside Johnny Depp so... To me it would just seem too much like some of his other movies and I want DS to be unique.  [smlyg]

My first choice for Elizabeth/Naomi was Miranda Richardson, but Helen Mirren is a wonderful suggestion! Also, I think Gillian Anderson would make a perfect Julia! Although, sadly, I doubt there will be a place for him in this remake, I suggest Hugh Jackman for Quentin. Josh Holloway would also be an excellent choice, but since I picture Maggie Grace as Carolyn, I'm sticking with Mr. Jackman to avoid making it too LOST-ish. I think Anne Hathaway would be the best choice for Victoria and/or Josette, if that's the direction they're taking with it. If not, I could see someone like Rachel McAdams as Maggie and/or Josette. Angelique is hard to place - mostly because no one could play her like Lara Parker. There are a lot of actress I've heard suggested who certainly look the part but I don't think they could act it. (Sadly, some of my least favorite actresses have been suggested for her.) If they are doing 1795, I have this image of Catherine Zeta-Jones as Natalie. I could also picture her as Julia, but I like the idea of Gillian Anderson much better. I could definitely see Kelsey Grammer or Tim Curry as Roger, but I'm not sure I can see either of them as Joshua. I vote for Christopher Lee in that role!

I also love the idea of a Jonathan Frid cameo as the caretaker! That would be awesome! I think it would be a great idea if they has some of the other original cast members as well in putting in cameo appearances. That would be a lot of fun for the longtime fans!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2008, 04:48:05 AM »
Random fact: On a crime show (Cold Case, I think), Amber Benson played a doctor named Julia Hoffman.

Yes, the ep is called "Volunteers" as Julia did volunteer work for an underground abortion clinic but she wasn't a doctor.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2008, 04:52:53 AM »
Thank you, Midnite. I had only found that out through Wikipedia, and it listed her character as a doctor. Yet another example of why Wikipedia is not to be totally trusted.

I just pictured Jasmine when Gina Torres was mentioned. Seeing as how that was about 5 years ago now, she may have changed quite a bit, so I'm going back to Sarah Michelle Gellar or Halle Berry for that role. Thanks to Taeylor for reminding me of her age.

Anyway, for Rev. Trask, how about an actor who's similar to the character? What freaky religious fanatics can we get to play a freaky religious fanatic? I can just picture Trask yelling about witches while hopping up and down on the sofa.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2008, 05:21:08 AM »
Well, I do admire Amber Benson's abilities as an actress, having seen her in lots of things other than BTVS.

A lot depends on how the story plays out.  My own feeling is that we should only see 1795 in flashbacks, if that.  I'm not a fan of double-casting (Elizabeth/Naomi, Roger/Joshua, etc.) for the film.  Frankly, the story that attracts me is that of Barnabas slowly regaining his sanity after all those centuries locked up in a coffin.  If that is the 'tack' taken then I suspect a lot of characters simply will not appear--like Stokes, Adam, Quentin, etc.

The original storyline was of Barnabas torn between his vampire and human selves.  The former, ruthless and obsessed with the past, was the one trying to re-create Josette.  The latter, though, strove to live in the present and so was attracted to Vicky.

Methinks it would work to have Barnabas obsessing over the Governess at Collinwood (Maggie, Vicky, Daphne, whoever), but the conflict being over whether he sees her or he sees Josette.  Which makes the casting of the Governess vital. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »
I ADMIRE her too and have watched everything she has been in since BTVS.  I just feel she would be wrong for Victoria.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2008, 03:32:03 PM »
Sorry for the double post.  However, I was looking through THE DS COMPANION earlier and looking at the NODS picture of Lara Parker, where she is staring out the window and taken from the side view.  Its uncanny how much (to me) it looks like Charlize Theron.  I think she would make a grand Angelique. And Charlize has amazing range.  She is phenomenal actress IMO. I wish I could find this pic on the net and link it but I cannot.

Also if they choose to go with an Africian-Americian actress I think it would make the tryst between Angelique and Barnabas all the more scandalous. In those days interracial coupling was not proper.  Although from what I have read about history and the such it was common for slaves or servants to be abused by their "owners".
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2008, 01:07:31 PM »
Well I am a gay man as well and I am totally in LOVE with Rose McGowan.  GO FIGURE!

re:  Rose McGowan -- let's just say, i would have pointed her in the direction of the doggie door if she hadn't seen it...... [ghost_azn]  sorry, but i can't take her.  if she had to be in DS i guess she could be Carolyn.    but she'd bastardize the character with the wrong kind of bitchiness.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2008, 02:30:32 PM »
Though I like Rose McGowan as an actress, I can't see her in any role in DS. However, I don't think Taeylor was suggesting her for a role; I think she was just talking about her "girl crush" on her (unless Taeylor is serious about being a gay man).

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »
(unless Taeylor is serious about being a gay man).

Well, there is that male gender icon () in all of his posts.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2008, 05:12:18 PM »
Adding my two cents (again)...

Tim Burton is a director who tends to re-use some actors over and over.  As such, I think it a pretty good bet Helena Bonham Carter and Christopher Lee will be in the movie.  I have no problem with that.  Sweeney Todd and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are extremely different films despite having both Johnny Depp and Ms. Carter in the casts.  I would say she is the right age for Elizabeth or for Julia.

Mr. Lee, however, is in his seventies and looks it (although a very healthy seventy-plus, to be sure).  He has a marvelous commanding presence (as well as being a seriously underrated actor IMHO--try to see Jinnah to find out what I mean) which is my reason for hoping he can make a powerful impression in flashbacks--either as Joshua Collins or maybe Reverend Trask.

The more I think on it, the more I believe the essential role is Barnabas' love interest.  The 'classic' version of for this to be two characters--Josette and the Governess (presumably either Maggie Evans or Victoria Winters).  They may or may not be portrayed by the same actress.  My own preference is to use two actresses with a similar quality, but that's just me.  It seems most likely in my mind that this role/these roles are most likely to attract a genuine star or stars of Depp's stature.

Of all the names bandied about so far (of major movie stars) I find most quite acceptable:  Charlize Theron, Anne Hathaway, Scarlett Johanson, etc.  For the record, I would also include Keira Knightley.

But of course it needn't be a big star at all.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2008, 09:03:29 PM »
YES I am male and yes I am gay and have a big ole crush on ROSE.  I wasn't saying she would be right for anything on DS.  I don't see her in ANY role in the new DS movie just to clear those two things up.  I just have a fetish with Rose like a lot of gay men. She has a huge gay following.  :)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »
I hope HBC isn't in DS.  I am sick of her in all of her husbands movies.  Which pisses me off to no end, cause Rose is one of boyfriends movies and it's akin to a national tragedy by the media. [ghost_rolleyes] And Willie it's fine.  We don't all have to like the same things.  However, Paige (CHARMED) and Cherry Darling (PLANET TERROR)  were quite different from Tatum on SCREAM.  She doesn't always play the bitch. 

Okay am gonna get off my  [5323]

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2008, 12:13:52 AM »
For the record, I would also include Keira Knightley.

As far as known actresses, I like Keira Knightley myself (and she would be on my list for Victoria or Josette next to Anne Hathaway & Natalie Portman). It would be interesting, though, watching she and Depp play lovers after seeing them as Elizabeth and Jack in Pirates of the Caribbean. They would both have to put in strong performances, which both are more than capable of.

Edited: I just thought of an actress whom I think would be amazing as Josette - Lucy Griffiths (Marian in the BBC's Robin Hood series).

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2008, 02:24:42 PM »
I apologize, Taeylor. For some reason, I was thinking that you used to have a female icon on your posts and had recently changed it to male. No idea what got into me.

Anyway, I can put up with HBC in the movie as Julia. I won't be happy if she's cast as Elizabeth, though.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2008, 09:05:56 PM »
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO HBC PEROID!!  [ghost_mad]  Sorry.  I don't see her as Julia, Liz or anyone on the canvas.  Plus read my post above.  Her in TB movies is getting a bit ridiculous