Author Topic: Movie Cast Ideas  (Read 15948 times)

Offline Breebell

• View Profile
Re: Movie Cast Ideas
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 10:23:46 PM »
Let's see...

I think Cate Blanchette would make a good Julia Hoffman, she's kind of chameleon like and a wonderful actress, I think she'd really
do Grayson justice.

And the Charlize Theron suggestion for Angelique is spot on.

And this is crazy, but I want to see Kathryn Leigh Scott in the Elizabeth Stoddard role.  She's the only major female cast member who still looks young enough pull it off, (at least from the pictures I've seen) and I really want to see an original cast member in the film.  She could do it.

But this is what I want most of all:

I want there to be an aging scene in the movie, Johnny Depp as Barnabas ages, for what ever reason, and he turns into Johnathan Frid!!!
there he'll be...The Real Barnabas!!!!...even if it's only for a second.  I would scream for joy and throw popcorn.

Okay, I know...not gonna happen, but I can dream can't I?   [ghost_smiley]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »
What a great idea about the aging scene, Breebell! I love it, and I too would throw my popcorn!

I like Emmy Rossum as Maggie, but she'd definitely have to toughen up I think. I don't know that I've seen a performance from her thus far that would make her obviously Maggie in my mind, but I think she'd be able to pull it off, given some coaching. Maggie needs to have spunk.

And I know that she is probably too old for the part, given that Angelique is usually cast as someone in her mid-twenties (or at least around Josette's age), but I like Gillian Anderson as Angelique instead of Julia or Elizabeth. I think she'd pull off Ang's evil laugh and smile beautifully.

Elizabeth is another one where I can't think of anyone that would stand out to me obviously. The impression I got from Joan Bennett's portrayal of Liz (I should say early Liz) was that she was a tough woman, someone who could run the household, sign the checks, replant the garden, all while taking in a novel. She seemed worldy, knowledgable, and hearty. While I think that KLS could definitely play this, for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, I just can't see her in the role.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:33 AM »
They could make Maggie's alcoholic artist father into her alcoholic artist grandmother and use KLS there. :P

I would be quite pleased if Jonathan Frid played Old Barnabas, but Frid actually looks rather youthful for a man in his eighties, and since he is still a man in his eighties, he might not be able to wear the proper prosthetics. Then again, perhaps by 2010 CGI will have replaced make-up entirely and they'll just be able to manipulate the film, no make-up needed. I agree it would be great.

Charlize Theron as Angelique... I like it. I really do. I'm also pretty sure some people will throw Angelina Jolie out there, which I'd be less than pleased with. Gillian Anderson could also work as Angelique if she was a bit younger.

As far as the whole Crazy Jenny bit, as funny as HBC could be as her, I highly doubt they'll even get to the Quentin Haunting storyline, let alone delve that far into 1897.

Finally, forgive my screw-ups with Vicki's various ages. I couldn't recall that being mentioned anywhere, but had guessed at 18 or so.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 02:42:44 AM »
I think a perfect cast for Dr. Julia Hoffman would be...........Kathy Bates.  Wait, wait, wait - hear me out.  I can kind-of see her character formed somewhat in the way Grayson Hall did it (I don't know if she did, but it's just the way I see it as formed).  Dr. Hoffman is not exactly a knock-out; she has her own unique - and even regal in her own way - look.  Not being exactly Cindy Crawford, she spent her personal life trying to find some love, but was never quite successful.  So, she throws herself into her career, becoming an incredible physician, experienced in various facets of the profession, from hemotology to psychiatry.  In her private life, she closes in on herself, but still there is always that desire to find someone - anyone - who will give her the most miniscule romantic time of the day.  She keeps that to herself, unknown even to her friends.  And then along comes this mysterious "case" in which she is asked to get involved, leading her to Barnabas (Depp).  The rest of the story plays out, including her plan to "cure" him.  They are both strong personalities, clashing with each other, and then coming to a truce, and then to somewhat of a trust.  Barnabas begins to show his appreciation, and Dr. Hoffman begins to - wrongly - read the much "younger" Barnabas as having an romantic interest in her.  And away we go.  I can just so see Ms. Bates doing this.  I can also see her playing Countess Natalie DuPres, an aristocratic woman with an equally strong personality.  Ms. Bates is an incredible actress, a box-office draw, an Oscar winner. 

And, to be pefectly honest, I don't want to see people hired because they're just a bunch of young "hot stuff."  I never saw the aborted 2004 WB pilot; however, while it was being developed, I was very uncomfortable with some of the people they casted to play the characters.  To me, many were just a bunch of Beverly-Hills-90210 (or whatever that zipcode is) clones, making it look like Melrose-Place-Meets-Buffy.  I don't know if that's how the pilot turned out (because I didn't see it), but I just think that Depp and Burton should look at what's more "realistic" to make it a character-driven film, rather than just a bunch of hit-the-gym-six-days-a-week-and-eat-rabbit-food-late-twenty-somethings-looking things that just don't reflect how normal folks living in Maine would appear.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 03:20:36 AM »
And, to be pefectly honest, I don't want to see people hired because they're just a bunch of young "hot stuff."  I never saw the aborted 2004 WB pilot; however, while it was being developed, I was very uncomfortable with some of the people they casted to play the characters.  To me, many were just a bunch of Beverly-Hills-90210 (or whatever that zipcode is) clones, making it look like Melrose-Place-Meets-Buffy.  I don't know if that's how the pilot turned out (because I didn't see it)

Um - it didn't.  ;)

I like the suggestion of Kathy Bates. Chances are it won't work out that way, though - mostly for the simple fact that it's probably not likely that TPTB will think the target audience (being chiefly comprised of 12-25 year olds, like every other major studio film ::)) wouldn't care about a relationship between Depp and Bates, no matter how well it could be written. And that's sad. But that's the movie business today.  :(  But I really liked the way you developed the scenario.  [thumb]

Honestly, I haven't given much serious thought to who might play what roles because at this point we still have no idea what shape the script will take. I really liked the idea of setting the film in 1795 (or whatever past era they decide to place Barnabas' origins in), but the story has always been kicked off with Barnabas being released from his coffin in the present, so they may not want to tinker with that. But either way, there is a strong likelihood that if indeed Tim Burton is directing, Helena Bonham Carter will appear in some major role because she seems to appear in all of his films (one of the perks of being married to the director - though she certainly seems to do an excellent job with every role he gives her ;)). As others have suggested, Julia and/or Natalie would seem to be the most well suited roles for her - but who knows?  [idontknow]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 03:40:39 AM »
Kathy Bates is an interesting choice. Come to think of it, Julia's poisoning of Barnabas in HoDS and the revival is fairly similar to Annie breaking Paul's legs with the sledgehammer...

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 03:50:03 AM »
Well, I have my own casting ideas.  For the role of Liz Stoddard, it must go to an actress of world renown whose very name will guarantee the project receiving publicity.  My choice is (drumroll please)- JANE FONDA!!!

She is a mature actress of world renown, a two-time Oscar winner and she has a DS connection: she was a classmate of Lara Parker's at Vassar!

For Professor Stokes- a casting choice that will also make headlines- JAMES EARL JONES!!!!

It's about time the world of DS got integrated in a big way, and who better than ol' Darth Vader himself?  Think of it- for the 1790s, instead of Ben Stokes being a white indentured servant, why not go all the way and have him be a black runaway slave who is helped by Barnabas and Jeremiah in his pursuit of freedom?  It would be a sharp difference from the sophisticated descendant with a taste for both knowledge and the finer things in life.

There's one thing that we don't know: will Josette be a dead ringer for Maggie like in the original series, or Vicki in the primetime version?

For Carolyn it's Lindsay Lohan in a slam dunk- I mean, she IS Carolyn in real life!

As Vicki: I'd like either Anne Hathaway or Natalie Portman.

For Maggie: Kirsten Dunst or Cameron Diaz, with Ryan Gosling as Joe Haskell/Nathan Forbes.

It would be soooo delicious to see Kelsey Grammer as Roger Collins- he's the only actor who could deliver those smarmy lines in the style of Louis Edmonds!  Just imagine seeing Jane Fonda putting him in his place!

How about Shirley MacLaine as Mrs. Johnson/Abigail?

Since Tim Burton is directing, it's clear that Helena Bonham-Carter will probably play Julia, but I'm OK with it.  If she won't do it, get JODIE FOSTER!!

And how about Mark Wahlberg as Willie- imagine the way he'll say "Come on Maggie, you know you like it!"  Dirk Diggler in Collinsport!

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 04:01:49 AM »
Anne Hathaway as Vicki. That is great.

And allow me to also put out Brooke Shields, Debra Winger, and Kate Mulgrew for Elizabeth.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 05:13:10 AM »
Kate Mulgrew, I've loved her work practically since I first laid eyes on her on Ryan's Hope. Debra Winger, maybe - though she doesn't seem to work much anymore. But Brooke Shields!!  [yikes]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 06:10:32 AM »
LOL. But seriously, I don't think Brooke Shields would be bad in the role. Mulgrew, Shields, and Winger are all in around the right age range for Elizabeth (42-52), and I think they'd all be pretty good. Age is the primary reason I cut Susan Sarandon as my choice for Elizabeth. Joan Bennett may have looked older than 50, but that was probably the harsh make-up and lighting they had on her. I'd also suggest Linda Hamilton, but the last time I saw her, it looked like she hadn't aged very well.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »
This is fun!
Liz - Francesca Annis (she could work around the British accent since she is so talented)
Vicki - agree with Anne Hathaway - perfect, wide eyed innocent!
Someone suggested Cherize Theron for Angelique.  I like the idea.
Dr Julia is a hard choice to make.  DS fans would demand perfection.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »
And this is crazy, but I want to see Kathryn Leigh Scott in the Elizabeth Stoddard role.  She's the only major female cast member who still looks young enough pull it off, (at least from the pictures I've seen) and I really want to see an original cast member in the film.  She could do it.

count me in for KLS in ECS role.  that would be great.   

just as great as Joaquin Phoneix as Barnabas and Judy Davis as Julia Hoffman.  Depp should do quentin.   How about Craig Ferguson as Jason McGuire????  julia stiles as Carolyn.  The little pudgy dude from Three and a half Men can play david. Rachel Griffiths -- mrs Johnson.  Jack Nicholson as Roger Collins.   (he can be pompous at times)

Offline LeFanu

• Junior Poster
  • Like, I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 08:21:48 PM »
How's about Rachel Griffiths as Julia? Although Helena Bonham Carter would be a great choice.

Personally, I kind of see Emmy Rossum as Vicki - she's young, innocent, beautiful, and if they decided to go the Vicki/Josette route, she'd be the perfect Josette.

What about Anthony Stewart Head (from Buffy) as Roger Collins?

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 03:51:47 AM »
I'm enjoying all this speculating on casting. I would just like to have just a hint of that  a Quentin character will be in the new movie. That would totally reassure us that this isn't going to be just a remake of House of Dark Shadows. [ghost_tongue2]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 10:41:56 PM »
There's only one actor to play Quentin: HUGH JACKMAN!!!!!!!