Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was  (Read 19332 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2021, 04:06:01 PM »
Two things worth sharing from SG #76's Current Events - 1966-1971 DS Personnel section:

I've always been given to understand in everything I've read about her that Joan was a natural blonde. So who knows where the author of that article got the notion she was a natural brunette, dyed her hair blonde, and then went back to brunette? But then, heaven forbid people do the actual research necessary to get things right. Either that, or they relied on a flawed source.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2021, 04:55:24 PM »
Pretty much every article that I've ever read about Joan Bennett states that she was indeed a natural blonde and that her career really took off when she became a brunette. I wonder what the source that the Shadowgram article was quoting actually was. Especially since there's no mention of Trade Winds, the film where she actually goes from blonde to brunette. Sloppy research.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2021, 05:46:06 PM »
The first thing to share from SG #76's Current Events - 1991 DS Personnel section:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 13, 2021, 10:20:08 PM »
More from SG #76's Current Events - 1991 DS Personnel section:

Like Thayer David, Stefan Gierasch had such a prolific career that he was apt to show up almost anywhere and everywhere. Though he may have had even Thayer beat in one respect because I don't recall Thayer ever showing up bodily in a commercial. I remember him doing voiceover work for commercials, but if Thayer did ever actually appear in a commercial, I have absolutely no memory of it...

And:

Maybe in one respect it was a good thing that the '91 Series didn't last into Joseph Gordon-Levitt's teen years. It was one thing when we as pre-teens/teenagers looked at/bought the '60s and '70s teen mags for DS articles, but, uh, it would have come across very differently for 30/40-somethings to have been doing it.  [easter_wink]

I'd really enjoy The Powers That Be and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it. I was sad to see it canceled. But then it was a blessing for him that it did because he might have never gotten 3rd Rock...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2021, 10:56:15 PM »

If you have HULU or PARAMOUNT+(formerly CBS ALL ACCESS) you can watch Julianna McCarthy's Melrose Place. The ep is entitled The Circle of Strife and is the 22nd of the 4th season.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2021, 07:36:05 PM »

Normally I don't share Adrian Paul's section, but this one has several bits of interesting info, including comments regarding DS:

I'm sure I have a copy of Adrian Paul's The Owl, which I believe is a pilot he did before Highlander, though don't ask me what it was about, and a copy of his ep of Murder She Wrote. Though, as per usual, who knows exactly where they are?

Apparently, if the excerpts from the reviews are any indication, maybe it's best that I don't try to track down Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace, especially considering how much I enjoyed the original.

There's no such credit as Paradise Road listed in Jean Simmons' IMDb credits - though there is for Glenn Close. Perhaps she had to drop out for some reason. Hopefully SG will explain...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2021, 07:52:35 PM »

Rebecca Staab and Adrian Paul actually have small parts in Love Potion #9...

It would be interesting to see how Vampire Cult Queens from Hell turned out. I've never come across it. And it has no rating at all on IMDb so perhaps that's because it hasn't been widely seen. If so, that's too bad...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 31, 2021, 08:10:27 PM »
Wrapping up what I'm sharing from SG #76's Current Events - 1991 DS Personnel section:

Hmmm - I wonder whatever became of MTW's The Pretender pilot?

[easter_wink]

And here are two other things:

SG #76 shared the cover of the 30th Anniversary Collection CD. But it scanned so terribly that I'm sharing my own scan instead:

And SG #76 also shared a photo of Greystone from the 12-19-95 issue of Variety. However, it was shared backwards. Who knows if it appeared in Variety backwards of SG shared it that way? Though it's more likely that Variety shared it backwards because it would have been very hard for SG to have done it.

But anyway, I've flipped the photo so it shows the house correctly:

And because the scan isn't the greatest, I tracked down a photo of Greystone on the Internet that from a similar angle:

(Click here for a 1920X1289 version)

And that concludes what I'm sharing from SG #76...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2022, 06:42:15 PM »
Now that I have new video capturing software, I've replaced the phone/TV video with actual video:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2022, 06:50:31 PM »
Now that I have new video capturing software, I've replaced the phone/TV videos with actual videos:

And actually, I still have quite a bit of material that I plan to share in this topic. Believe it or not (and you probably do believe it [ghost_wink]) I'd scanned ShadowGram #77 from September of '96 all the way back on April 1st of 2021 but I've never gotten farther than that. But the NoDS 50th Anniversary topic will be slowing down in a couple months, so hopefully I'll have time to get back the this topic then...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 06, 2022, 05:23:52 PM »
When I made the new video of the three Sci-Fi Channel commercials, I'd completely forgotten the full details of why I shot videos of them with my phone. Of course I remembered that it was because my original hardware/software wouldn't play those particular VHS tapes of DS on Sci-Fi correctly. But it wasn't until today when I went back and read what I'd posted that I remembered the full details:

Unfortunately I had to use my phone to shoot a video off of a TV screen to share the SG commercial. I have video capturing software for my computer (obviously, since I've shared videos), but for some very odd reason when I tried to capture video from the VHS tape the commercial is on, the video portion of the capture jumped all over the place. At first I figured it was because the VCR I'd used when I'd taped the 10-95 eps was experiencing tracking problems that I was unaware of at the time and the tape simply wasn't compatible with my current VCR. However, when just for the fun of it I checked to see if the VHS tape played fine on a TV, much to my shock, I discovered that it did. And that made the fact that it didn't play correctly through my video capturing software even odder than I'd originally thought. Why things should work on the TV and not through the video capturing software, who knows (especially when I tested other VHS tapes just to make sure it wasn't the software and they worked fine)?

If I had remembered the full details, I may have never tried to make videos with my new hardware/software because I would have figured that I'd have the same problem. And what's really odd is that I quite obviously didn't. Who knows why those tapes behaved the way they did with my original hardware/software but not with the new when I used the exact same VCR and connections to the hardware? But I'm not even going to try to figure it out because I'm just happy that things worked out fine this time...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2022, 03:04:03 PM »
What better way to resume sharing in this topic than with this item from SG #77 from September of 1996:

It's really quite wild that SG was still giving updates on a potential project where there hadn't been any sort of movement for over three years (recall it was first announced in SG #65 from July of 1993) and most fans had already accepted that it was probably dead. Though maybe it's a little less wild if we remember that SG #76 had shared this news:

An announcement in SG #76 of what was potentially very exciting news:

And what made this all the more exciting at the time was that SG 76's editorial dealt with the endings of the original and the '91 Series but there was the possibility the '91 Series would be revived...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 08, 2022, 04:00:51 PM »
More from SG #77:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2022, 07:48:46 PM »
And more from SG #77:

Nothing like basically repeating what's already been said.  [ghost_huh]

Considering that the novel won't come out until December of 1998, one does have to wonder why it is that so much DS material never seems to be able to stick to its originally announced release date?

Interesting that the guy's mind confused something from 1979 with something done in 1967-'71. Though Langella's Dracula is considered classy, so he could have confused things with something a lot worse...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2022, 03:07:41 PM »
Regarding the MTW section shared in reply #222, I forgot to say yesterday that I looked up the 6-25 issue of Soap Opera Weekly and if that blurb about The Pretender is in it, I must be blind. I went through it three times, looking more carefully each time, and I found nothing. I even went back and ahead several issues to make sure the date wasn't wrong. But whatever publication dated 6-25 might have printed that blurb, it definitely wasn't Soap Opera Weekly...  [ghost_nowink]