Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was  (Read 19028 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »
When I was formatting some stuff for future posts, I discovered I needed to renumber some things I'd already posted. So, If you find that some things from SG look odd/out of place in this topic, just clear your browser's cache.  [ghost_wink]  However, if reading this now is during your first time opening this topic today, you shouldn't have any problems...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2020, 01:12:50 PM »
When it came to the '92 and '93 Fests I only shared the actual Fest reports in ShadowGram, but with the '94 LA Fest I'm to share the announcement from SG #68 -

- because I think comparing what is initially announced to what actually takes place is quite interesting...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 01:44:40 PM »
SG #68's report on the Imagine cards and the potential '91 Series set:

Very interesting that the DS wax box for the original series' set was ranked 12th on the Non-Sport Trading Cards list. I actually did see the cards for sale in a few stores in my area, and I had flashbacks to collecting the red and green sets back in the '60s...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 09:56:50 PM »
A few miscellaneous things to share from SG:

From SG #68:

I vaguely remember that ep. And just for clarity, it was Season 5, Ep #13.

From SG #67:

And a follow-up from SG #68:

I'd completely forgotten that Sci-Fi skipped Ep #674. Sadly for Donna Friedlander fans, they never got to see her during that first Sci-Fi run, though they did show it when it came up again in July of 1996.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »
I meant to share this yesterday in the post above. We'd already shared it back in '08 while we were doing the Watching Project for the '91 Series. But the video format it was shared in then is no longer in use today, plus the forum tags that were used to play it also no longer work. So, I've reformatted it in a video format that will work and also works with the forum's new video tags:

The ad is one that played during the March of 1994 showing of the '91 Series on Sci-Fi. However, this particular version came from a recording I'd made of original series Ep #98 from back on June 6, 1995. Apparently Sci-Fi continued to play some of Jim Fyfe's ads long after March of 1994...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »
SG #68's report on DS Resurrected (and DS Vampires & Ghosts):

When we get to SG #69 we can all have a good laugh at the release date(s).

And speaking of SG #69, there's only one more thing that I want to share from SG #68 at this time before we start getting into SG #69 - and it's something that I'm pretty sure any fan of the '91 Series will find quite interesting...

But before then, here's an ad that MGM/UA Television put out to promote the '91 Series:

Fans who own the DS Resurrected book may recognize the ad from page 22. And the photo of Cross' Barnabas is actually pretty rare because that ad is the only time I can recall seeing it.

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2020, 04:53:54 PM »
Somebody just put up on ebay a framed poster of that ad signed by Bob Cobert for $125.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2020, 02:28:03 PM »
Interesting that someone had Bob Cobert sign it. But then, maybe he was only one with a connection to the '91 Series at whatever event it was signed.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2020, 02:46:03 PM »
something that I'm pretty sure any fan of the '91 Series will find quite interesting...

It's excerpts from an interview Imagi-Movies did with Barbara Steele. What I'm sharing here is Part 2 because she discusses the '91 DS. Originally I didn't share what SG had shared of Part 1 because she didn't. But for those who'd like to read that, Click here.

Her comment that the '91 Series should have taken the story in a new direction probably explains why she made sure the script for the proposed movie had new twists and turns. Though, sadly, we'll probably never know what they were...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2020, 03:30:46 PM »
Steele is quite an interesting character and certainly brings an intensity to the roles that she played. She didn't take well to the starlet makeover that she got when she first came to Hollywood. The platinum blonde hair that was supposed to glamorize her ended up making her look matronly. She had been cast opposite Elvis Presley in Flaming Star but was replaced early by Barbara Eden. Stories vary as to whether Steele was fired or if she quit.
She does have a somewhat ambiguous relationship with horror movies. It's what she is known for but not her overall favorite. Black Sunday is regarded as a classic but several of her other films, not so much.
Honeymoon With a Stranger is a pretty good little suspense movie with a first rate cast: Steele, Janet Leigh, Eric Braeden, Cesare Danova. I believe that it's on YouTube.
I'm kind of surprised that Steele has never appeared in any Tim Burton movies, since he gave other horror icons like Vincent Price and Christopher Lee some of their final films. Stranger still is that she hasn't popped up on American Horror Story. She could easily have played the parts that Joan Collins did.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2020, 04:35:28 PM »
Barbara recalled in a commentary for a different release... I think it's on a video interview she did with David del Valle on the Nightmare Castle DVD... that she found working with Dan on DS extremely frustrating. He insisted on her giving a very strictly defined performance and she wanted to be much more stylish and expressive--which she did finally get to do when she played Natalie (I've commented before that Barbara's version of Natalie comes off more like a florid, flamboyant bordello madam than a French countess to me). And she got to play Natalie like that, evidently, because Dan had stopped directing the shows at that point.

Interesting point about Barbara not working on AHS. I personally do not care for what I have seen of those stories, and it may be that she doesn't either, but who knows. It would indeed be a bit strange if she had not been approached to work on it. I think some people find Barbara "way too much"--she's quite flamboyant in real life. In the documentary from circa 1981 about the Chelsea Hotel (in which I think Barbara may appear briefly--it is on y.t.), there's this scene of somebody talking to her small daughter and saying "you know, she always exaggerates everything, just like Barbara Steele." Funny because Matt Hall used to complain about how his Mom loved to describe everything in inflated, overly colorful terms, back when she was living.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »
Here's what SG #69 from July 1994 had to say about Innovation:

As we know, Jose Pimentel wasn't actually artist on the last 4 comics because, as we're only too well aware, Felipe Echevarria did the last comic published...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2020, 03:10:06 PM »
And here's what SG #69 from July of 1994 (a year since the first announcement in July of 1993) had to say about DC's proposed movie based on the '91 DS Series:

Zero progress...

I do honestly think that the main reason this never moved forward was because no studio was willing to finance it and DC wasn't willing to finance it on his own. But I also think that Uncle Roger has an excellent point and another major contributing factor could have easily been that the actors had other commitments that they were unwilling to break. At first I was thinking that during the time the film was under consideration only Roy Thinnes and Joanna Going had ongoing commitments because he was playing a major character on One Life to Live and she not only shot Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner, she did a play in NYC, but they were hardly the only ones with other commitments. Now I recall that Ben Cross did a few made-for-TV movies as well as at least one theatrical - Lysette Anthony did a few theatrical movies - Jim Fyfe did several plays, as did Julianna McCarthy - Michael Cavanaugh did several TV guest roles, as did Ely Pouget - Joseph Gordon-Levitt did roles in several theatrical movies - and Adrian Paul, who may or may not have even had a part in the proposed film, was committed to his series Highlander. And those are just the things I can now think of off of the top of my head. Scheduling a time when the cast would have all been free to do the film would have been a nightmare. And if the studios were aware of that, that could easily explain a good part of their reluctance to take on the project.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2020, 08:42:07 PM »
SG #69's updates on the July 1994 LA Fest

And something I held back from SG #68 so that it could be posted along with the photo of Barbara Steele:

I'm pretty sure it's from the production of the pilot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »
I finally got back to formatting things from SG #69 and here's an article about the "upcoming" July LA Fest:

And when it comes to that part about the width, I've often wodered about that myself!  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_cheesy]
(Though at least hoDS was realistic about it (and Maggie's bite in 1970 because they used the same makeup from the movie).)