Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was  (Read 19308 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2020, 05:16:03 PM »
This section of SG is worth sharing again, particularly because of SG #74's inclusion of an aerial photo:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »
Sad news in SG #74:

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 11, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
I couldn't find any definite information on Marge Berson. But the name Jean Arley was familiar. She was the producer of several NYC based soaps in the 1970's and 1980's: Love of Life, Search For Tomorrow, Where The Heart Is and OLTL. Not sure about the other three soaps but Clarice definitely would have worked with her on Where The Heart Is.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2020, 01:20:10 AM »
Two things to share from SG #74 for two very different reasons:

First up is a section on Anthony George. Sadly, his comments about DS come as no surprise and it's probably best that he was only with the show for 6 months:

And then on a much more interesting note there's:

I watched Murder, She Wrote almost every week so I probably saw the ep but I have no memory of her part in it. I wonder what type of part it was?

If you have Peacock (which I don't) the ep (Season 12, Home Care) is available to stream...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2020, 01:26:21 AM »
I couldn't find any definite information on Marge Berson. But the name Jean Arley was familiar. She was the producer of several NYC based soaps in the 1970's and 1980's: Love of Life, Search For Tomorrow, Where The Heart Is and OLTL. Not sure about the other three soaps but Clarice definitely would have worked with her on Where The Heart Is.

Thanks for your research.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2020, 01:37:33 AM »
You're welcome, MB!! I used to research stuff for work and that's one job skill that has turned out to be particularly useful.

Anthony George's remarks about DS are indeed no surprise. I think that I heard him say worse things than that. It certainly explains why he never attended a festival, even though he was in the area most of the time.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2020, 05:24:00 PM »
Anthony George's remarks about DS are indeed no surprise. I think that I heard him say worse things than that.

That's probably true because he never had good things to say about DS. Though frankly he should have been grateful to it because after his series Checkmate was canceled he found a few roles but then he didn't work on TV for more than four years. (Why? Who knows because I do think he had talent.) When the opportunity to work on DS came along, he only agreed to a 6 month contract because the only reason he agreed to do it was because he hoped it would elevated his profile and help him to get primetime roles. However, what it actually did was start him on a whole new phase of his career in daytime where he had high profile roles on Search for Tomorrow and One Life to Live. He did do a few primetime guest roles in the ensuing years after DS but he never again starred in a series. The lion's share of attention that he garnered between 1968 and 2005, when he passed away, all came from daytime. And without having been on DS, well...

It certainly explains why he never attended a festival, even though he was in the area most of the time.

Given his attitude toward the show, who would have wanted him?!  [hall2_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »
Some personnel material from SG #74 about the '91 Series' actors that's worth sharing:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »
More personnel material from SG #74 about the '91 Series' actors:

And Barbara Steele's section also includes a photo from the '95 NYC Fest:

And I believe that's probably the last photo of any of the '91 Series' actors that SG shared from a Fest. But then I also believe that her appearance at that Fest was the last time any of the '91 Series' actors attended a Fest (though not necessarily because none of them wanted to (as evidenced by the fact that some have attended the Friends of 91 Dark Shadows events)).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »
And yet more personnel material from SG #74 about the '91 Series' actors:

Not sure if the following Roy Thinnes photo is from a Fest or not. Normally SG identifies a photo's source, but it has none. So, just in case, I'm including it:

And a ton of MTW material, mostly all related to Jeffrey:

And two photos. Rather than scan the first one from SG, I tracked down a much better version of it on the Internet:

But the second is scanned from SG:

Who knew MTW has(had) a hotel in Miami Beach? Obviously I knew when this SG #74 came out, but I'd completely forgotten. I wonder if he still has it?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2020, 04:08:31 PM »
And these are the last things I'll be sharing from SG #74:

Hmmm - that line about being compelled comes from the '91 Series. I don't recall Barnabas saying those words like that in the daytime show, or even in hoDS. However, not only did Barnabas say it in the '91 Series, the sequence was used in the promos. Excerpted from the 2 minute trailer:

And two more items from SG #74:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2020, 11:46:01 PM »
Continuing with the MPI tapes for the '91 Series, here's the first page of the listings for the tapes from MPI's 1996 Catalogue:

(Click here for a 1688X2200 version)

Probably not a surprise that in 1996 MPI reduced most of their VHS tapes for both versions of DS (not just the ones for the '91 Series) to $12.98. (Though an even bigger reduction would be coming within a few years.)

And a bit of trivia for that photo of Daphne and Joe: A photo very similar (except Rebecca Stabb is looking at Michael T. Weiss rather than at the camera) was the very first publicity photo for the '91 Series that was released in a national publication. It appeared as part of an article in the 5-1-90 issue of Soap Opera Weekly. And I could be wrong, but I believe the Soap Opera Weekly version was only published there and the version in MPI's 1996 Catalogue was only ever published there.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2020, 11:50:26 PM »
And here's the second page from MPI's 1996 Catalogue:

(Click here for a 1688X2200 version)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2020, 11:56:02 PM »
And here's what MPI's 1996 Catalogue had to say about DS RESURRECTED:

(Click here for a 1150X1054 version)

The smiling cast on the stairs was replaced by something decidedly different - though still smiling.  [hall2_wink]

Would the VHS tape finally come out in July of 1996? Time will tell...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »
Here's what MPI's 1996 Catalogue's updated listing had to say about DS VAMPIRES & GHOSTS:

Apparently it was no longer an "eerie" collection of "macabre moments" - and there's no reference to "never-before-seen bonus interview footage with Lara Parker." It's also not entirely "sequential" because after moving along sequentially up to Ep #1239's scene between Brutus' Ghost and Melanie, things shift back to Ep #868 to the scene in which Edward and Quentofi bring the newly appeared Barnabas to the cave and see that "the vampire" remains staked in his coffin, and then Barnabas faints. And after the camera moves in on Barnabas on the ground, things dissolve to Ep #951 to the scene in which Barnabas, unconscious on the ground, wakes to realize he's a vampire again - the first scene showcasing his Pepe Le Pew hair. Cut to credits.

Actually that ending would have been a great way to herald a compilation that MPI has been very remiss in putting together:

Alas!!  [sad3]

Though I suppose MPI could still do it one day.  ::fingers crossed::