Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was  (Read 19238 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2020, 07:08:42 PM »
Movie studio tour???
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2020, 02:08:18 PM »
That's what it says.  [ghost_wink]  And if you notice the SG report in reply #43 says something similar.

I didn't attend the 1994 LA Fest because until 2005 I'd never attended a West Coast Fest, so I have no idea if a tour of Universal Studios ever actually took place in 1994. But even if no such tour ever materialized, we know that a certain someone may have very well mentioned such a tour to the author of the column because quite often before Fests he has jumped the gun and mentioned things before they were finalized or even a real possibility.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
I dug out my mailing for the '94 LA Fest and the tour is mentioned on it as well:

(Click here for a 1700X2194 version)

This was mailed out to me on April 20th, before it had been announced that some listed guest had dropped out...

(I've also discovered some other things in the Flyers from '92, '93 & '94 and those things will soon be showing up in the appropriate Innovation comics topic...)

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2020, 03:01:04 PM »
My attendance of California events was sporadic at best. I went to the 1992 event but didn't get to another one until 2000, so I missed out on some stuff.
I do recall the side trip to Disneyland at the 2002 Anaheim convention. TPTB somehow managed to get an excellent discount on day passes. My friends and I opted for California Adventure. It was new and none of us had seen it. It also minimized our chances of running into too many DS whackos.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Don't feel bad. I was just going through some other Fest Flyers (because I haven't seen most of them since the year they were mailed and quite often there were rare photos included or interesting deals offered) and I saw that as part of the 2001 NYC Fest (sadly, the last one held at the Marriott, World Trade Center) a trip was offered on Friday to the Statue of Liberty. I attended that Fest and I have no memory whatsoever that trip was offered...

(That Fest was also the first time I got to meet in person several members of the forum. You all know who you are and what fun we had!  [ghost_wink] [ghost_grin])

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2020, 03:18:23 PM »
I passed on the day trip to The Statue Of Liberty, since I had been there on a school trip in the sixth grade. Both teachers missed the ferry back to Manhattan, leaving a handful of chaperones, including my mom, in charge of a bunch of twelve year olds. No cell phones back then but no one knew who to call anyway. So we just continued on to Chinatown. Best school trip.ever!!

Looking back now, I don't think that I would have been able to make the Statue of Liberty trip anyway. Jeff Thompson had decided to do a skit to open the convention. So I checked into my room and was immediately off to rehearsal 
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2020, 05:08:53 PM »
That school trip story sounds like it was a hoot!  [ghost_cheesy]

As many times as I've been to NYC, I've never gone to the Statue of Liberty. I've never really done the tourist thing. It was a DS Fest or theater and a restaurant...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2020, 05:14:00 PM »
Ads from the mailing for the '94 LA Fest:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »
As I was going through the Fest mailings yesterday I came across the following in the mailing for the '91 NYC Fest. At first I wasn't going to share it because it looked like photos that have been seen all over the place at this point. But then I noticed the photo of Willie(H) - I don't believe I've ever seen that photo anywhere else:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
Here's SG #69's update regarding the Imagine trading cards:

But the real reason why I'm sharing this is because of what isn't said rather than what is. Notice that there's no longer any mention of a potential set of cards based on the '91 Series. (Though I suspect SG #71's update will prove far more interesting...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2020, 03:26:54 PM »
I held this Roy Thinnes item shared in SG #67 -

- so that I could post it with this -

- from SG #69. SG #67 indicates the excerpt comes from an article that was published in the 12-21-94 issue of Soap Opera Digest. But considering that SG #67 is dated January of 1994, that is obviously not the case...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2020, 04:02:06 PM »
And even though this is mostly unrelated to DS, Forever Knight has many fans among our members so I want to share this excert from an Adrian Paul interview SG #69 shared:

Even though I watched Paul's Highlander pretty regularly, I don't think I ever even read the interview back in 1994 because until I read it the other day I'm almost certain I had no idea he'd been considered for the Nick Knight TV-movie. Even though Rick Spingfield was certainly popular back in 1989, I think Paul would have been better in the role. And who knows, perhaps the project would have moved forward to the Forever Knight series with Paul. But then, I also love what Geraint Wyn Davies did with the role. And Paul got Highlander. So, they both made out in the end...

One thing that's strange about how SG shared the interview is that even though they listed the source, they didn't list a date. Though I suppose no date is better than a date 11 months in the future!  [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2020, 05:54:06 PM »
Here's SG #69's update detailing the latest news on home video releases (along with a NoDS TV listing from England):

Something that I find very interesting regarding the listing of bonus interviews on The Collector's Series VHS tapes is that we've been led to believe all the interviews on the VHS tapes were put on the subsequent The Beginning Collection DVD release. But I see no listings for the DVDs for interviews with Louis Edmonds(CS #13) or Nancy Barrett(CS #17) or John Karlen(CS #41) or Dennis Patrick(CS #37) (or Clarice Blackburn(CS #25) or Lela Swift(CS #33) or Jonathan Frid(CS #45 & #49) or Sharon Smyth(CS #53)). Perhaps they're on the DVD releases somewhere, though it seems odd they wouldn't be paired on DVD with the eps they were paired with on VHS. Though I'm simply judging all this based on listings for the DVDs - I haven't actually watched the entire series on DVD. But if anyone knows the actual details behind all this, sharing that info would be appreciated. Though one thing that is good when it comes to the DVDs is that there is so much more bonus material on them than was on the VHS releases - but given there's so much more space on DVD, that only makes sense...

SG #68 - DS Vampires & Ghosts: Release date comes in SG #69.
SG #68 - DS Resurrected: Release date will be in SG #69.

SG #69 - Planned for fall release are DS VAMPIRES & GHOSTS highlights and DS RESURRECTED with '91 DS interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, and outtakes.

Hmmm - is the generic mention of "fall" what passed for a "date" in 1994?  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_rolleyes]  But the truth is they wouldn't actually come out at any point in the fall of 1994, so any actual date SG might have listed would have ultimately been wrong...
(And I don't blame SG for any of this ongoing foolishness regarding the release dates of the two tapes because, as I've said before, SG simply reports the info it's given. If the info it's given turns out to be wrong, well, it's the fault of the supplier of the info, and we all know who that is in this case.)

There doesn't seem to be any way to check if an August segment of SCI FI TRADER actually did feature the MPI tapes and other DS merchandise. I didn't have the Sci-Fi Channel in August of 1994 and October's SG #70 makes no mention of such a segment on the show. And while that's not definitive one way or the other as to whether the show did or did not do a segment, once I did get Sci-Fi later that year, I did notice that whenever anything related to DS appeared on one of Sci-Fi's other shows, it was not only mentioned in SG, particulars of the segment were described. But then, if I recall correctly, Marcy Robin also didn't have access to Sci-Fi in August of 1994, so unless someone (and we all know who) provided her with particulars, she wouldn't have been able to share them on her own...

And to say that I'm thrilled to see that the April of '94 issue of Video Watchdog gave NoDS its due would be an understatement!  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_grin]

And that closes out what I plan to share from SG #69. On to scanning items from SG #70...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2020, 03:00:52 PM »
Here's what SG #70 from October of 1994 had reduced news about DC's proposed film(s) based on the '91 DS Series to:

No more headline of its own - simply thrown in with a bunch of other stuff. But then over a year with no progress will do that. It will be interesting to see if there's even anything about the proposed film(s) in SG #71 because, as we know, sadly, the situation did not change...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2020, 03:09:45 PM »
If DC had done another Shadows feature film around that time, I'd have been very surprised if it did not turn out to be yet another re-make of HOUSE OF DS.

In some ways DC seems to have been a very elaborately crenellated version of a one-trick pony. At least when it came to DS.

G.