Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was  (Read 19206 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2020, 06:20:47 PM »
More from SG #75:

As I recall he was quite interesting in Remember Me for reasons that I can't get into because it would spoil things for anyone who hasn't seen the movie or read the book. There's a compilation of clips/screen caps video on YouTube from the movie:

Remember Me - Michael T. Weiss

I have a recording of the movie around here somewhere, but I haven't seen it in years, so who knows where I put it...

And here's the photo referred to from the 11-21-95 issue of Soap Opera Weekly:

It was included in a section entitled Memories Of Days Gone By, a celebration of the DOOL's 30th anniversary.

And an obit that SG #75 shared for Dan "Marilyn" Ross:

Now it's 34 books! Are they counting The Dark Shadows Book of Vampires and Werewolves, which he didn't even write?! But then, why should they have bothered to check when it's so much easier to assume all 34 books put out in the Paperback Library Gothic series must have been written by him.  [santa_rolleyes]  For all we know, in the next issue of SG there will be something that counts Barnabas Collins in a Funny Vein as one of his credits just because it was also published by Paperback Library...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 01, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »
And more from SG #75 - I haven't been sharing things like this but it's an interesting article:

And that is the last thing I'm sharing from SG #75...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »
From SG #76 from May of 1996:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2021, 03:56:06 PM »
An announcement in SG #76 of what was potentially very exciting news:

And what made this all the more exciting at the time was that SG 76's editorial dealt with the endings of the original and the '91 Series but there was the possibility the '91 Series would be revived...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2021, 04:24:50 PM »
SG #76's 30th Anniversary Celebration in LA preview:

Still a mention that '91 Series stars were expected. As I said when it was mentioned in SG #75, I don't recall that any did - but maybe I've simply forgotten...

I have a CD entitled "Music Inspired By Dark Shadows" that contains Angelique - but it's attributed to a group named Majenta Jets not The Barking Spiders. It will be interesting to see if that gets cleared up in a future SG...

And now it has been cleared up...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2021, 08:35:56 PM »
I passed on the California festival. I think that the airfare was more than I could afford at the time. I also passed on the birthday event at Tarrytown. The idea of going into NYC to take a bus to come back in the same direction didn't really appeal to me. I don't remember if the restaurant location was originally announced or if the festival was being coy about revealing it until later. I didn't trust their taste in restaurants after the goofy Sunset Strip restaurant which was tied into the equally goofy NYC ghost tour in 1989.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2021, 08:54:20 PM »
The 96 LA fest was my first, so it always holds a warm spot in my heart. When I saw like a thousand fans all there exclusively for Dark Shadows, I was like wowwwwwwwww - I'm home here. Lol.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2021, 05:27:44 AM »
LOL, Patrick.

I would've tried harder to attend the '96 Fest had I known would be Michael Stroka's last.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2021, 03:48:12 PM »
The 96 LA fest was my first, so it always holds a warm spot in my heart.

Exactly how I feel about my first, the '89 NYC Fest. And my first event was the party at the Red Zone/former DS studio where fans had unprecedented access to the stars, often just standing around and talking to a star one-on-one for a good 15 minutes or more without having to worry that the autograph line was being held up, which would have been the case otherwise. And that was possible because there were only 250 fans in attendance at the party, as opposed to 1000+ fans at the Vista event...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2021, 04:10:06 PM »
SG #76's Media update:

I was a fan of both American Gothic and Kindred. It was quite interesting to watch NCIS: New Orleans, which used to co-star an adult Lucas Black, after having watched him as a 13-14 year old on American Gothic. And an appeal of Kindred for some was that actor Channing Roe was in the cast - and those of you who watched mainly because of him know who you are.  [santa_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2021, 06:12:00 PM »
SG #76's Videos & Merchandise update:

And another company that produced DS merchandise bit the dust. Maybe there really was something to that curse I joked about back in September in Reply #88...

More delays with the music box - so surprising...  [santa_rolleyes]

A new DS wristwatch? I don't even remember that being issued. But I'm sure we'll learn more...

And as I keep saying, Angelique's Descent didn't come out until December of 1998, so whatever SG #77 says about the possible novels should prove interesting once we get to it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2021, 04:50:55 PM »
SG #76's DS Publications update starting with the cover of the DS Music Book which appeared on page 1 of the issue:

And considering that the version of the cover in SG #76 scanned so badly, here's a color scan of the cover:

Gee, the book was made available from PomPress and not MPI - hmmm...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2021, 07:38:06 PM »
I've finally gotten back to this topic. And here's SG #76's Sci-Fi update from May of 1996:

Given that SG #76 is from May of 1996, I don't understand why this Sci-Fi update says the channel is "presently entering the 1897 flashback" - that storyline didn't begin on Sci-Fi for a second time until August 19, 1996.  [snow_huh]  In May of 1996 Sci-Fi actually showed Eps #551 through #594, which is Adam demanding Barnabas create a mate for him through Nicholas calling up the spirit of Danielle Roget to be the mate's life force. Saying Sci-Fi was entering 1897 was definitely a mistake, but who knows how in the world it happened?!

I may check my DS tapes from 7-10 through 8-2 to see if Sci-Fi ran any interesting promos for the '91 Series. Though I may hold off on that until upcoming SG #77 confirms that the show actually ran on Sci-Fi during that period. [snow_wink]

Now we know why the corrected SG commercial never ran on Sci-Fi back in February of 1996 but I'm definitely not going to run to check my June tapes to see if the new commercial ran then. In this instance I'm definitely going to wait for confirmation in SG #77!!  [snow_wink]

And normally I don't share the list of areas of the country that have reported to SG that they have the Sci-Fi Channel  - but I figure this time around I would share it just to give an idea of what fans did or did not have access at the point SG #76 was published...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2021, 07:36:11 PM »
I may check my DS tapes from 7-10 through 8-2 to see if Sci-Fi ran any interesting promos for the '91 Series. Though I may hold off on that until upcoming SG #77 confirms that the show actually ran on Sci-Fi during that period. [snow_wink]

I looked ahead in SG #77 and the '91 Series did indeed run during those dates. However, I checked my tape for 7-10 through 7-12 and was quite surprised to discover that Sci-Fi didn't run any promos during DS for the '91 Series' airings on those nights. When would have been a better time to promote the '91 Series than during the original? But apparently Sci-Fi thought otherwise.

Maybe it was because it was the '91 Series' third airing and Sci-Fi thought they didn't need to alert original fans? Who knows? Though I know for sure that Sci-Fi did indeed run promos during the original DS for at least one of its showings of the '91 Series. Maybe it was only the first airing?

It may be a waste of time to check the remaining dates that Sct-Fi ran the '91 Series for a third time so I'm going to look up when the first showing was and then check those recordings of the original series...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 31, 2021, 06:16:00 PM »
SG #76's Filming Locations/Greystone report:

I'd completely forgotten about Dead Man's Island until I read this report while formatting it to post. And if I'm not mistaken, I think I recorded and kept a copy of it. If I did, and if I can find it, I may share some screen caps...