Author Topic: The Dark Shadows Emmy Awards  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Shadows Emmy Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2004, 04:28:27 PM »
Here are some!

Outstanding Special/Visual Effects
Outstanding Cinematography
Outstanding Set Design
Outstanding Musical Composition
Outstanding Sound Effects
Outstanding Costume Design (Make sure to nominate Julia's lime-green woolen suit which she wore for two weeks in 1995, never once changing it and obviously even sleeping in it - if it won, it could walk up onto the stage by itself for the award.)

Of course, if we want to be true to our beloved DS, we can have an Outstanding Blooper category!

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2004, 04:59:08 PM »
It may take a bit of work, but I know some here think very highly of certain directors and writers. Perhaps a particular episode could be attributed to it's corresponding writer and/or director, in an outstanding director and writer category?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 06:40:38 PM »
DS to DA,

this is all very exciting!  and I just love the Xmas video you did--lovely and heartwarming.  (I didn't see a separate topic for it here.)

Thank you for the RESPECT you are giving to the Leviathans storyline.  However, regardless of what people think of it, it covered roughly 4 months of the show, so one couldn't very well omit it altogether!  (It ties with Cassandra's storyline for my personal favorite DS story.)

Just as a sidenote, I don't think any one storyline was uniformly brilliant or dreadful.  Robert Rodan and Marie Wallace both had some wonderful moments in the Adam and Eve stories.  As for Cyrus and Sabrina, I blame bad writing plus the fact that there was really no chem between Pennock and Richards--the latter seems to have done better with Briscoe.

You deserve a gold star for featuring romantic scenes with R Davis in your Xmas video in such a tender way that I did NOT find myself tossing my cookies!  Way to go!

Gothique

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 09:47:06 AM »
Of course, if we want to be true to our beloved DS, we can have an Outstanding Blooper category!

I like this idea and then we could nominate some of the best bloopers for each story line!  As for some of the other items you mention, I think it would be hard to narrow it down to one music composer.  There is Robert Cobert, Robert Cobert and Mozart's "Eine Kline Nachtmusik" as well as the "Fantasy and Fugue in F minor".   Oh yes, and Robert Cobert. 

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 11:03:51 PM »
Just from seeing how meticulously thought out his wonderful DS promos are ([thumb]), something tells me DStoDA already has a perfect plan in mind to decide which actors he'll place in each category. But just by way of an example, back in the late 90s when AOL's now defunct DARK SHADOWS ONLINE held its DS version of The Oscars (The Brandies [wink2]), we used the same type of decision making procedure as the real Oscars. We held a preliminary voting round, and then the top three vote getters in each of our categories went on to the final vote (with the final results announced by our lovely online hostess, Diana Millay).

hi micheal haven't heard from you too much lately have you been hiding in the shadows?Merry christmas [8_2_73]

jennife
hey love awards [8_2_59]
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2004, 09:44:55 AM »
As a reaction to the constant battle I have to fight in my messagebook, I have decided to limit the devotion that I give to my site. Which means that I wont have a seperate awards show for each storyline. I will just have one big ceremony and only one. I decided to take out supporting actor and actress categories and have Best actor and best actress. Here are categories so far.

Outstanding Actor
Outstanding Actress
Outstanding Continuing Story (storyline)
Outstanding Achievement in Directing
Outstanding achievement in Writing
Outstanding Romantic Couple
Outstanding Duo (non-romantic)
Outstanding Cliffhanger
Outstanding Blooper
Outstanding Achievement in Costume Design
Outstanding Achievement in Musical Composition
Outstanding Achievement in Set Design

Prenominations will be out on jan 1st.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004, 12:39:48 AM »
DS to DA,

so sorry you are still dealing with TROLLS out there in Webland!  You should just tell them ALL where to stuff it!

You do wonderful work, and are a young man of such talent, integrity, and promise!  Don't let those who lack a life get you down!

your fan,

Gothique

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2004, 02:12:28 AM »
i'll second that DS to DA.i can assure you that everyone here loves your work!i look foreward to each new promo.

i'm sorry to hear that you're being harrased in your message book.d.s. fans can be opinionated and things can quickly spiral out of control.i look at this site as a "safe-haven" from some of the bickering seen elsewhere.everyone is always on thier best behavior here and that's why it's such a nice place.

you sound disappointed but keep up the great work on your site.i'm still greatly looking foreward to your "emmy's". [smlyg] [smlyg] [smlyg]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2005, 10:54:59 PM »
I NEED HELP!!! Im doing the prenominations right now and I dont know if I should put Julia & Barnabas in the Romantic category of or the Duo (nonromantic) category

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2005, 11:02:48 PM »
Hmmm...

Well, romantic feelings don't necessarily have to visibly reciprocal or even overtly acted on for there to be romantic chemisrtry. Julia certainly has romantic feelings for Barn - and though he practically denies it until he's blue in the face, there are definitely moments in the series in which it becomes quite obvious (to the audience, anyway) that Barn certainly has feelings for Julia. So, I'd say they're definitely more of a romantic duo than simply a plain duo...

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2005, 11:35:10 PM »
also, any suggestions for your favorite cliffhangers?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2005, 12:54:27 AM »
also, any suggestions for your favorite cliffhangers?

Oh sure.  Some of my personal favorites are when Julia hears mysterious footsteps coming from the stairway through time (1840), Alexis and Quentin are dumbfounded by what they find in Angelique's coffin (1970 PT), and the ever-popular maniacally laughing Quentin after the family abandons Collinwood (1969).

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2005, 12:58:01 AM »
Well, one of the most intense cliffhangers that I remember from the old days was in PT 1970 when we saw Barnabas and Maggie leaving a deserted Collinwood and locking the doors, as the camera panned down to a hungry, exhausted Julia, left "to rot" by the former Mrs. Quentin Collins.  That was one of the infamous Friday afternoon cliffhangers; I remember that was one long weekend.

Another great one is when Maggie has grabbed a spike and is about to drive it through Barnabas' heart when suddenly he sits up in his coffin and bares his fangs.  That's just such a great moment.  I think that may have been another Friday cliffhanger.

I'm sure there are many, many more we could discuss.  What a great topic!

My vote is B & J in the Romantic couple category.  In a reckless moment over a decade ago, I wrote that Barnabas' redemption through Julia's love is THE THEME of Dark Shadows.

New Year's goodies to all,

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2005, 01:04:34 AM »
I don't see Julia & Barn as romantic in any way, shape, or form. To me, romantic, implies sensuality of some kind, the kind that would, if allowed to run it's course, would lead to sexual relations, and it wasn't there, IMHO, with Julia and Barnabas. Julia perhaps (or definitely, actually, lol), but not Barnabas. And we're talking duo here, not solo. I'd place them in a non-romantic duo catagory.

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2005, 01:41:41 AM »
how about bloopers?