Author Topic: Julia, the sly minx *Spoilers, darlings*  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Julia, the sly minx *Spoilers, darlings*
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2004, 09:10:05 AM »
I do love that scene too, the way she holds out her hands over the stacks of books "Daaaave, I can't just pack up and go---"  Then when she sits in the chair, uneasily squirming as he makes his insinuation---the 'cat who swallowed the canary' look on his face is pretty priceless too. . like he finally figured out something about the mysterious, brilliant Dr. Hoffman--

Good description, J99... yeah, their expressions are too much. Grayson's face and body language spoke a thousand words in that time period...well, during all time periods actually.  8) :-*

Jean-Claude, querido mio, what fabulous photos.  The first one looks as if Julia was *thrilled* to discover a copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover in Liz's Library (thinking of what Heather wrote above).  "AND it's ILLUSTRATED!" Dave looks less than thrilled with ALL of it.

LOL, Steve...sounds like something Julia could jot down in her journal, huh?  (*I found the most fabulous book in that dusty old library today...*)   ;)  ;D  snicker...

Many thanks Jean-Claude! Fantastic pics...pinpointed those moments perfectly!

Let us give thanks to DVD Capture and all thy bounty bestowed upon us... amen.  ;D

Hugs,

Heather

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2004, 04:18:53 AM »
Jean-Claude, querido mio, what fabulous photos.  The first one looks as if Julia was *thrilled* to discover a copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover in Liz's Library (thinking of what Heather wrote above).  "AND it's ILLUSTRATED!" Dave looks less than thrilled with ALL of it.

Lady Chatterley's Lover!  Does that ever bring back memories from when I was young.  I wanted to buy it at the dime store so badly and read it. It took me an hour to get up the nerve to finally take it up to the counter to pay for it fearing all along someone would say that I was underaged. All the girls at school were reading Lady Chatterley's Lover and Peyton Place and the more daring were reading James Joyce.  My mother would've killed me if she only knew.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 04:28:22 AM »
I had to read it for a literature class in college.

That pretty much took the thrill out of it.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2004, 07:18:57 AM »
I'm not seeing the screen captures. I get the message 404 page not found, or something like that. Is there something I can do to see the pictures?

Misa

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2004, 04:13:32 PM »
Misa,

Sorry about that. Because of the recent upgrade, any attachments that were uploaded prior to December 1st need to be uploaded to a new directory - and as of yet I haven't gotten around to doing that. But I'll make a point of doing it soon, so please check back a little later today.  :)

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2004, 07:46:14 AM »
Thanks much for letting me know to check back on the pictures Mysterious Benefactor. They are really great.

Misa

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2005, 11:28:23 PM »
Now I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly or not. I read so many magazine articles over the years about DS's and its cast. That some times it is hard to remember correctly exactly what you read... But looking at those screencaptures brought back this thought of something I read.

But to get to the point... If I remember correctly... Jonathan Frid was trying to stop smoking and Grayson Hall's cigarette smoking on the set drove him nuts.

Because in Claude North's second post of reply #5 on November 9 2004. In the second screencapture. Jonathan is coveting that cigarette.

I'm sure Julia was thinking why don't you look at me like that.

I have a vague memory from looking at Dark Shadows a long time ago, when a local tv station was airing it before Scifi channel did, that while in character, in one scene on the show, Grayson as Julia did ask Jonathan as Barnabas if he wanted a cigarette.

Does anyone else remember seeing that particular scene? It may have been in these particular scenes. But can't remember, but I'm certain that did happen.

FireRose

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2005, 03:36:03 AM »
I have a vague memory from looking at Dark Shadows a long time ago, when a local tv station was airing it before Scifi channel did, that while in character, in one scene on the show, Grayson as Julia did ask Jonathan as Barnabas if he wanted a cigarette.

Does anyone else remember seeing that particular scene? It may have been in these particular scenes. But can't remember, but I'm certain that did happen.

Well we've all laughed gleefully remembering the first scenes between Barnabas and Julia where Julia smokes freely and often . .even once lighting up a cigratte (in a black holder) with a candle at the Old House--she bends forward lights it and starts smoking in front of Barnabas then walks out with a sly look on her face--i don't recall in that dialogue that she asked him if he wanted one--but i think not.. . :o   After Julia became a heroine on the show--they inferred that she smoked--showing full ash trays or dying cigarettes--she was shown smoking only once more during the Dream Curse when she couldn't sleep--gosh i have too much arcane Julia info in my head now. . thanks guys--that's what i get for hanging out here for 4 years--

Julia99
Julia99

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2005, 05:26:35 AM »
Well we've all laughed gleefully remembering the first scenes between Barnabas and Julia where Julia smokes freely and often . .even once lighting up a cigratte (in a black holder) with a candle at the Old House--she bends forward lights it and starts smoking in front of Barnabas then walks out with a sly look on her face--i don't recall in that dialogue that she asked him if he wanted one--but i think not.. . :o

I don't remember that either... but it would make for a funny moment in some fanfic, huh?  ;D

After Julia became a heroine on the show--they inferred that she smoked--showing full ash trays or dying cigarettes--she was shown smoking only once more during the Dream Curse when she couldn't sleep--

Another funny moment (well, at least to certain people in my house) was when Julia visited Willie in the hospital and she begins smoking like a fiend in the hospital room...

gosh i have too much arcane Julia info in my head now. . thanks guys--that's what i get for hanging out here for 4 years--

RJ darling, how I've missed you.  ;D  Care for a spot of cognac, dear...?  Honestly darling - I *gave* Julia that quaint cigarrette holder. Now, could you pass on a few suggestions I have for that delightful doctor and that delusional lunkhead she adores...

Kiss kiss,

Pepe   [king]

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »
Back to Julia the sly minx...

In the middle of trying not to go nuts as I juggled some projects...I was watching some DS eps. again, of course!   ::)  ;D

Sculpting some naughty figures from my rubber eraser, I slapped down my drawing board and popped in a tape {for all you non-artistic types...they have these kneadable rubber erasers that are reusable time and again. Consistency is in between oh...play-doh and puddy. You can shape it to whatever form is needed so... well...
No - if I post a pic some of you might go blind...LOL. It started out like Barnabas' cane but morphed into some sort of phallic form... I wonder what Julia would say about that. lol  >:D}    Sorry - its been a looooong holiday.   ;D

Anyway...a couple of interesting things popped up in another scene between Julia and Dave W. (well, now its DW #3). [spoiler]Dave has just visited with the etherial Sarah and is on a virtual rampage to find out the truth about her and all the unfortunate happenings around Collinsport. Julia finds him in the Collinwood study and starts questioning him. Julia tries to discourage his search, wondering why he'd be concerned with a little 'girl that left the scene' years ago (Julia musta had her city girl cap on for that sentence - LOL). Dave insists that she's a ghost...etc...

And then Dave lists all the unusual events surrounding Sarah's appearances, and the people who claimed to have seen her. When he brings up Sam Evans, Julia looks at him and says (I'm really paraphrasing here): "Sam Evans is an ARTIST... a very impressionable person. He'd been through a lot of emotional trauma lately...and he drinks quite a bit. Some people see pink elephants, he sees GHOSTS."[/spoiler] LOL  That cracked me up!

Remember kids - never trust anything those *artistic* types hear or see...    ::) ;D

[spoiler]Ohhhhhh...another one: Julia and Barnabas are in the Old House Drawing room, discussing what they'll do with Dave Woodard's...curiosity. Before Julia leaves to tallk to Dave, Barnabas says: "You recently made the comment that Dr. Woodard was the most brilliant student at your medical school. Well, I think you were being generous. He's the second most brilliant--" And Julia, turned away from him, smiles shyly and says: "Well, they never took me as seriously as they should have, because I'm a woman."  And he chimes in: "But that can be a mixed blessing, can't it my dear?"[/spoiler]

Barnabas you evil, wicked flirt you...   ;)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2005, 09:22:57 AM »
If no one can verify it happened. Who knows I might have dreamed it.

But that thought of Julia asking Barnabas if he wanted a cigarette is just stuck as a vague memory in my head for some strange reason.

FireRose

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2005, 02:59:36 PM »

I remember it. I can't swear it was Barnabas she asked though.

dom (who can't prove anything he remembers)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2005, 10:58:22 PM »
Dom,
I'm glad someone remembers something...

FireRose