Author Topic: The Dark Shadows Emmy Awards  (Read 5942 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Shadows Emmy Awards
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2005, 01:49:30 AM »
I don't see Barnabas and Julia as a romantic couple either, so I would classify them as a duo.

As for bloopers, my favorites include Bathia Mapes, ("Go to the house of the curse")  Louis Edmonds's two notorious gaffes, ("It was 100 miles--seemed like 100 miles--100 feet." and "My incestors are buried here.") and the windowshade falling down in Charles Delaware Tate's studio.  However, I think it would be hard to vote with both verbal and physical bloopers in the same category; would it be asking too much to have separate categories for prop gaffes and spoken bloopers?

ProfStokes

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2005, 01:50:16 AM »
i'm not sure if this qualifies as a "cliff-hanger" but the moment during the 1795 seance when the "present day" characters froze(ignore the microphone in the shot)and the next image is of vicki standing outside the old house(in 1795)was genius.i still get goosebumps when i think of it.
if this was a friday episode i certainly would have tuned in on monday to see what was going on.

i don't really see julia and barnabas as "romantic" despite the fact that julia is obviously smitten with him.i'd place them in the non-romantic duo category.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2005, 01:56:17 AM »
There's a fairly short list of the bloopers most DS fans cite when the topic comes up.  Some of the ones that come to mind:

Roger's line about his "incestors" being buried in the Eagle Hill mausoleum
An undertaker arriving at Collinwood and asking to see "Mr. Jonathan."
Jonathan Frid walking through the foyer while the closing credits play, carrying his costume over one shoulder.
A stagehand scuttling out of sight as Barnabas and Angelique carry on a heated conversation in the Secret Room.

There's lots more.  I am convinced that in one episode from 1897, Edward's moustache fell off while he and Quentin were arguing.  I really wish they had left that one in.  There's a definite cut on the tape.

Since you're a fan of Grayson Hall, I hope you've been able to see the "blooper" that went out on a local feed of her and Jerry Lacy starting a scene (in 1967) and being told "cut" by the Director.  And Grayson imperiously demands:  "WHY?" (I believe an important prop was missing for the scene.)

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2005, 02:01:18 AM »
The fly (in any scene).

dom

Unless it was a moth that the Reverend Trask inhaled and then spit out during one of his rantings in the woods - without missing a beat, I might add. Then it would be "the moth", lol. That is my all-time favorite blooper moment in the series.

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2005, 02:22:50 AM »
are you for sure he inhaled a moth?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2005, 02:34:23 AM »
a great blooper took place during the show's first months.
there is a scene at the diner...maggie is talking to someone(forget who)and roger is shortly to enter.apparently louis edmonds thought this was off-camera because he is outside the diner's(curtained)doors doing some sort of "warm-up" dance for the scene.sort of a "dance-like-a-moth" type deal.
i can't believe this made it to air. [rleyeg]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2005, 02:54:08 AM »
are you for sure he inhaled a moth?

No.

It could have been a fly, and it could have flown into his mouth as opposed to being inhaled.  

Something flew or was inhaled into his mouth and he spit it out, while he ranted on as if performing an exorcism, in the woods outside the Old House. I won't be able to confirm "fly" or "moth", "inhaled" or "flew". I don't have the footage with me to watch.

Perhaps another forum member con confirm nay or yay.

Just what you needed at crunch time, eh? Sorry 'bout that.

dom (Looking forward to the DS Emmy Awards!)

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2005, 02:55:49 AM »
Im finished. I was able to use most of your suggestions, but not all. For the couples and duo, there are a lot of quentin and Barnabas ones.
In the end, Julia and Barnabas were classified as non romantic. Go to my main site in 5 minutes.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2005, 03:21:13 AM »
there is a scene at the diner...maggie is talking to someone(forget who)and roger is shortly to enter.apparently louis edmonds thought this was off-camera because he is outside the diner's(curtained)doors doing some sort of "warm-up" dance for the scene.sort of a "dance-like-a-moth" type deal.

Was that Louis Edmonds or was it Joel Crothers?  The scene is on the Bloopers tape.

Gerard

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2005, 03:31:52 AM »

Was that Louis Edmonds or was it Joel Crothers?  The scene is on the Bloopers tape.

Gerard

AHHH, someone please confirm who it is !!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2005, 03:36:53 AM »
Well, one of the most intense cliffhangers that I remember from the old days was in PT 1970 when we saw Barnabas and Maggie leaving a deserted Collinwood and locking the doors, as the camera panned down to a hungry, exhausted Julia, left "to rot" by the former Mrs. Quentin Collins.

That was probably the one that had me most on the edge of my seat. Back then we had no idea when an actor was in danger of being dropped from their soap. And on DS in particular it wasn't unheard of to kill off a popular character. Even if the actor wasn't dropped, their character could be, and then they might show up down the line as another character. I remember really sweating it out that Julia might actually die.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2005, 03:57:04 AM »
In the end, Julia and Barnabas were classified as non romantic. Go to my main site in 5 minutes.

Boy, what a tough crowd we have on here tonight - or possibly they're just not romantics.  ;)

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That's what makes the discussions on these boards so much fun. Be that as it may, though, I could produce dozens of letters to the various fan magazines from people who definitely saw Barn and Julia as a romantic couple, and who, in fact, continued to watch DS with the one hope that they would eventually get together. (And by 1970 some even threatened to never to watch the show again when it looked like that was never going to happen.) But soaps often have two interesting ways to set up their couples. One is too make them bitter enemies and then to bring them together with the realization that they've always loved each other (as DS did with Barn and Angelique), and the other is to drag out a supposedly unrequitted love for a really long time until the clueless partner (that being Barn in this case) finally realizes his/her love. DS never got to that point with Julia/Barn before it ended - but it certainly played Julia's feelings for Barn for all they were worth. As they say, love needs its martyrs, Julia was nothing if not that, and martyrdom in love is one of the tried and true ways for a soap to build its audience. But I have no doubt that if DS had continued past the point that it did, Julia and Barn would have eventually ended up as a real couple at some point. As to whether or not they would have lasted as a couple, well, does ANY soap couple have that sort of a guarantee?!  [b003]

All that being said, though, after looking over the nominations, I think Julia and Barn have a much better chance of being selected as favorite non-romantic duo, so it might be for the best to have put them there. After all, what might be considered a lead performance is often submitted in the supporting category because the actors/studios feel they have a much better chance of winning there...

And BTW, I've moved this topic over to Current Talk because it's evolved way beyond a simple Web site announcement and is crossing more and more into storyline discussions...

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2005, 04:43:03 AM »
I hope you didnt mind that I made a new topic to announce the Prenominations in the calendar events forum.

and yea, I really did want julia and Barnabas in the Romantic category. But since they were never official, i made the choice to put them in "duo." If only ABC gave the show a few more months. If they decided to end the show on Jun 27 1971, they could have gone back to 1971 after 1841 PT and cleared up so many loose ends such as Barnabas and Julia and Victoria being Elizabeth's daughter. They would have been able to really give the show a proper ending.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2005, 04:52:56 AM »
I hope you didnt mind that I made a new topic to announce the Prenominations in the calendar events forum.

Oh, not at all! That's exactly what you should have done.  [santa_smiley]

If anything, I'm as responsible as anyone, if not more responsible than anyone for turning this topic into a storyline discussion.  [b003]

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2005, 05:51:07 AM »
Boy, what a tough crowd we have on here tonight - or possibly they're just not romantics. ;)

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That's what makes the discussions on these boards so much fun. Be that as it may, though, I could produce dozens of letters to the various fan magazines from people who definitely saw Barn and Julia as a romantic couple, and who, in fact, continued to watch DS with the one hope that they would eventually get together.[b003]

{blows whistle} Time out... LOL

For whatever it's worth, I just wanted to add my odd three odd cents and say that I completely agree with what MB and Steve...er..Gothick said. ;) I think that Julia's heart's desire was Barnabas and in the end, given the right circumstances, they would've ended up together {now, that's not to say that Julia wouldn't of had any *other* relationships or whatnot, just that I believe that her heart belonged to that complex and thick skulled character and that's who she should've ended up with (okay, maybe after a little slapp slap there  [13], or a few heart-to-heart wrenching scenes there...) >:D  Barnabas too - I mean, the more the series goes on, the more there are subtle signs as to their true feelings for one another. The infamous "Never without You" and  "I am that devoted to her..." quotes, etc. Now, everyone interprets things differently and that perfectly fine - like Emeril says - won't hurt my feelings (well, not too much - chortle)... but ya know, we're a big happy family here, right kids? It's allllllllright darlings {big group hug}}

Besides, like one of my bestest buds on another list likes to say: B + J + smut = good. Phht...Nuff said... LOL   [91a2]  [banana]

Anyhoo - since they weren't an officially declared couple on the show, I'm okay with the nominations too (afterall, there's still fanfic - evil cackle). Good work, DS to DA - may the best man, woman or couple/pair win - looking forward to the emmys!   [santa_kiss]

-Heather

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*