Author Topic: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed  (Read 15791 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 03:01:04 AM »
We put our actors up there with gods.  They seem so immortal on the screen. Yet like you and I they are flesh and blood. 

I didn't foresee how affected I would be by Jonathan Frid's death. I felt this bad the day Don Briscoe died; although I feel I was mourning his life for what could have been.

Perhaps I took it for granted he would always be there.  I would make it to a Festival one day and met him.  But that day will never come...... 

For those of you who have had the pleasure of meeting those who have passed; count yourself a little bit luckier today.

I mourn for his loss. I mourn for the fact that I will never met him.  I will never meet Louis who I feel I know through his book.  I mourn that I will never meet Grayson; but perhaps one day I will. Perhaps when it's my time to go they will be welcoming me not into the Shadows......but into the Light....

Peace and Love. You were an amazing Barnabas and I thank you for letting a young man from Kentucky who knew he was gay from a young age have someone to identify with; I had a secret just like Barnabas. A secret that could make me or break me.  A secret that a lot of people in my life have never understood. But you understood Barnabas.....thanks for understanding. 

RIP Jonathan!  I hope Louis and Grayson and the gang were there to help you transition into the next life....

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 03:19:50 AM »
You were an amazing Barnabas and I thank you for letting a young man from Kentucky who knew he was gay from a young age have someone to identify with; I had a secret just like Barnabas. A secret that could make me or break me.  A secret that a lot of people in my life have never understood. But you understood Barnabas.....thanks for understanding.

Taeylor, what a very moving tribute...one with which I, who grew up in Ohio as a young gay boy "with a secret" in the late 60s, can identify.  I always thought, in later years, that my empathy with Barnabas was my need early in my life to keep a part of my life secret, just like Barnabas.

FYI, David Selby's letter to Jon Frid brought tears to my eyes.  What a beautiful tribute from Mr. Selby.

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 03:41:57 AM »
RIP Mr Frid, I have many great memories of running home from school to watch my favorite show.  To me he was Dark Shadows and I loved he and Lara Parker in their roles.  The show represents to me innocence and a safe place to be.  I was 11 when the show went off the air in 1971.  I remember being devastated that I would no longer be able to watch my favorite show.  Two months later my father died and that was the most tramatic event in my life to this day.  That is why the show represents innocence to me, it was a time when I had my dad and could run home from school to watch my favorite show. 
Thank you Mr. Frid for the many great memories I have of you as my favorite vampire, Barnabas Collins!

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2012, 03:59:08 AM »
That EW article was so sweet, I'm glad that Jonathon got to go onto the set, meet Johnny and have a cameo.  He lived a long life and was a highly talented person.  Goodbye. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2012, 05:46:40 AM »
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 05:58:09 AM »
I was saddened to learn today of Mr. Frid's recent passing.  I add my wishes that he rest in peace and my thanks to those who have shared the many wonderful links with fond remembrances and celebrations of his life and work. 

You were an amazing Barnabas and I thank you for letting a young man from Kentucky who knew he was gay from a young age have someone to identify with; I had a secret just like Barnabas. A secret that could make me or break me.  A secret that a lot of people in my life have never understood. But you understood Barnabas.....thanks for understanding.

Taeylor, what a very moving tribute...one with which I, who grew up in Ohio as a young gay boy "with a secret" in the late 60s, can identify.  I always thought, in later years, that my empathy with Barnabas was my need early in my life to keep a part of my life secret, just like Barnabas.

It is amazing to understand for the first time what others apparently perceived for over 40 years.  I was a fan of the original series when it originally aired, and always appreciated how much Barnabas was conflicted with being a vampire as well as his protective role of the Collins family.  I was too young or too naive or too dense to ever appreciate how living in the open while protecting his secret could have represented anything more.  Thank you both for helping to enlighten me nearly a half a century after the fact. 

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2012, 06:27:33 AM »
Lara Parker's remembrance:

http://laraparkersite.blogspot.com/2012/04/jonathan-frid.html

Lara's tribute was very heartfelt. Thank you for sharing the link.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2012, 06:27:54 AM »

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2012, 06:47:54 AM »
I was terribly saddened to hear about the passing of Jonathan Frid. I was one of the studio kids, and had a chance to met him as a youngster. He was always gracious and kind to me. Years later, at all the different types of DS conventions he was still gracious and kind. He also once said hello to my than 3 year old nephew back in 1993.My last memory is this, last summer at the Brooklyn Fest, my friend Anna and I were in the hotel restaurant, we were walking to our table, and Jonathan was at a table we were passing, he saw us, smiled and waved. We both said hello, and went to our own table. My heart is broken today, I feel as if I have lost a friend. I have. Rest In Peace Jonathan, you will always be in my heart. Richie

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
i have yet to see mentions of JONATHAN FRID passing on entertainment shows. nothing on ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT because its all about DICK CLARK. it is mentioned on the etonline.com website. I remember ET mentioned GRAYSON HALL'S death in the 80s.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 07:44:24 AM »
What a shock.  It was so recently that he did his cameo in the movie, and nothing has ever been posted to indicate that he had any particular health problem, so I assumed that he was in reasonably good health.  Such sad news.
Josette

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »
I just wanted to thank Cousins Brian and Usfan for the kind remarks.  I was am a second generation fan who came to love DS through the Revival. Most everyone here knows my story so I will no rehash; however, I went on to embrace the original.  And for me, Jonathan Frid was the Barnabas that I identified with. I loved Ben Cross but I didn't feel the kindred spirit I did with Frid's Barnabas.

I have cried off and on all day.  Grayson/Julia is my favorite from DS.  Barnabas was never my favorite character;  think today my heart realized how much of an impact Frid's Barnabas had one me.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
Farewell to the first actor with whom I identified and truly loved!   [ghost_sad]  So sad I never got the chance to tell him what he meant in my young life!   [ghost_wub]  Truly the movie should be dedicated to him and he should be long remembered and honored.   [ghost_happy]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »
Bella Heathcote ‏ @Bella_Heathcote
RIP Jonathan Frid
9:08 AM - 20 Apr 12

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
Somebody probably has already posted this, but here's the NY Times obituary.

David Selby's "Letter to Jonathan" is a lovely and touching piece of writing.

Still can't believe it--and I didn't even start watching till the reissue on public TV here in the 1980s!