Author Topic: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed  (Read 15778 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2012, 03:42:26 PM »
Jonathan's native Hamilton, Ontario newspaper published a piece today about him.  Yesterday online they had some of Jonathan's DS videos.

http://www.thespec.com/whatson/article/708247--frid-s-character-to-live-on

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2012, 04:09:33 PM »
RIP Mr. Frid. I started watching Dark Shadows in 1966 when I was 11 and 46 years later I still enjoy watching it. He was great as Barnabas. Thanks for the many great memories.
MM

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »
Jonathan's native Hamilton, Ontario newspaper published a piece today about him.  Yesterday online they had some of Jonathan's DS videos.

http://www.thespec.com/whatson/article/708247--frid-s-character-to-live-on

This was a great little piece; he was noteworthy to so many, but these people lost a neighbor they all loved.

My condolences to you, Nancy.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2012, 05:53:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing the article, Nancy. It gave us some insight into what he was like away from the spotlight.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »
A co-worker asked me when I came in to work this morning if I had heard about "our friend" who had died. I asked whom she meant. "Barnabas," was her reply. So many of us grew up with "Barnabas." Of course we know now that Jonathan Frid was not Barnabas, but rather was a versatile actor who sometimes felt burdened that he would always be associated first and foremost with Barnabas Collins. And that is because he played the role so brilliantly and believably. Jonathan Frid - indelible actor; gentleman; a man who valued his privacy, yet was beloved by many.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
Wonderful article, Nancy--thanks for sharing. It's always nice when people don't forget their roots.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2012, 06:44:15 PM »
I think it was Boris Karloff that said "kids can see through the makeup and acting, they see the person under it" Karloff was talking about why kids weren't afraid of him as "the monster" (Frankenstein). Maybe that's why we ran home from school to see Barnabas. We were able to see the real Mr. Frid under all the makeup and acting. I like to think that I (we ) were drawn to Barnabas because, as kids, we could see how special the man was.
I didn't really know Mr. Frid but I did get to shake his have, get a photo or two and talk with him. I think of myself as very lucky to have done so. I will never forget him. As Barnabas he, and Willie, helped me to understand to sometimes men do things because they have too, not because they want to. As a young boy whose father was away fighting a war that was very important.
When I started school I knew nothing about "male" things like sports. I was always picked last for any game. There was a time that I didn't like my father very much because of it. Barnabas and Willie helped me get past that. I truely believe that without them and DS my kids would not have know their grandfather.

Thank you Mr. Frid for teaching me that sometimes as men we do things, not because we want to but because we have to. You will always have a very special place in my heart.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »
Thank you, Phil, for your kind words.

When Jonathan had his house, he had a neighbor who would come over (without being asked) with his snowblower and remove snow off of Jonathan's sidewalk, driveway and patio.  He also would go over (without being asked) after a bad storm to clean out the gutters.  The neighbor was doing this after Jonathan found it harder and harder to deal with the snow on his own.  Jonathan offered him money but the neighbor refused.

One day the neighbor asked Jonathan if he could get an autograph from him for a family member who lived in the U.S.  The neighbor used to live in the US and had watched DS.  When he found out his neighbor was Jonathan Frid, he decided to not let Jonathan know he recognized him from the series.  At that point the secret was out, of course and Jonathan was delighted to give the man an autographed photo for his family member.  Jonathan told him to ask for an autographed photo whenever he wanted to make a gift of one for a DS fan in the states. 

The neighbor was a good guy.  Jonathan really liked a lot, especially for flying the Canadian flag high up on a flag pole every day in his yard! 

This was a great little piece; he was noteworthy to so many, but these people lost a neighbor they all loved.

My condolences to you, Nancy.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
I am glad that you are posting this information Nancy. From all that I read Jonathan went on his own decision. I do appreciate it when people leave in peace and not in pain.

My condolences to all family and friends. May your memories be filled with happy times.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
CNN's pop culture blog quoted a number of sentiments, using passages from Ms. Scott, Johnny Depp, Fangoria, and my article.

http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/20/fans-colleagues-remember-dark-shadows-star-jonathan-frid/?hpt=hp_c2
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
Just like as a kid when I felt like Dark Shadows would be around forever, I guess I felt the same about Jonathan. He will be sorely missed by all Dark Shadows fans.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
Me too.  Be glad for Jonathan.  He was losing his independence and the next step would have been losing it entirely had he survived the stay in the hospital.  Even though I had not spoken to Jonathan in awhile, I know I'm right when I say faced with it all, he decided he had enough and simply stopped fighting. 

All the pain is with us now.

Nancy

I am glad that you are posting this information Nancy. From all that I read Jonathan went on his own decision. I do appreciate it when people leave in peace and not in pain.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »
I was thinking the same too, Nancy.  I know it often sounds harsh to those who are bereaved, but sometimes a quick, sudden passing, when the person says farewell to life with his dignity intact, is preferable to the alternative.

I really do think of him as taking a very well deserved rest... free from what I believe the Bard called the "slings and arrows" of continued existence.

Steve

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
Nancy, tears are coming to my eyes now as I'm reading your words.  I never had the pleasure Mr. Frid's acquaintance, but I was blessed with meeting him ever so briefly in the autograph line at the DS convention in 1991.  It sounds like in his later years he was able to live a life of his choosing, in a place where his heart was, and in the end he was spared a prolonged suffering.  He was a dignified man who left our world with dignity.  We should all be so lucky.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »
Hi  Nancy thanks  for sharing all the memories  of  Johnathan  Frid  he  was a  wonderful  human being
and  a   true  actor  and  gentlemen.   He will be sorely  missed.   I  was 7 yrs  old  and running
home from elementary  school to watch a  classic  show called  DarkShadows,   that  will always
live  on  in our  hearts  forever.    Love  Anne  :(    [ghost_sad]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow