Author Topic: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed  (Read 15758 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 07:04:01 PM »
The news of Mr. Frid's death is extremely sad news for both the cast members and for the many fans of Dark Shadows.  I first learned of Mr. Frid's death early on Friday morning on WCBS 880-AM in New York City.  Columnist David Hinckley of the New York Daily News wrote an obituary on Mr. Frid in Friday's edition of the newspaper.

I believe that Mr. Frid was the last surviving member of the veteran members of the cast, including Joan Bennett, Louis Edmonds, Grayson Hall, Thayer David, David Ford and Addison Powell.

Mr. Frid served as a young man in the Royal Canadian Navy during World War II (along with American WW II veterans and fellow Dark Shadows actors Louis Edmonds and Addison Powell, of the US Navy and the US Army Air Force, respectively).  With Mr. Frid's death, along with many of our own fathers and uncles, yet another member of the Greatest Generation has left us.

Watching the FOX Channel last night, I found it particularly bittersweet to see a commercial for the upcoming and much-anticipated Johnny Depp Dark Shadows film.  However, I am thankful that we will be afforded one final opportunity to see the truly great Jonathan Frid on screen.

Requiescant in Pace, Mr. Frid.         

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »
i didn't get into DS until i was in my late twenties and my "coming out" process was already complete...

so the "man with a secret" subtext to the barnabas collins character and jonathan frid's performance were not part of my attraction to the series. in fact having watched it(on video)from episode one i was already hooked on the show before the character even made his first appearance.

still over time i've greatly come to appreciate mr.frid's performance more and more. watching the series from beginning-to-end was a project that helped me get through a very difficult period in my life. it was a great pleasure and frid was certainly a huge part of that. i'm very excited for the movie but in other ways i'm drifting away from the series. i rarely watch it these days. i don't need it in the way i once did. but it, and the characters we've all come to know and love, never leave you. they stay with you and become part of you. they become in a way "real".

with frid gone our "community" has again gotten a bit smaller. it was a real treat for us that in recent years he decided to rejoin it. i'll always recall casually greeting mr.frid in a hotel lobby as he headed onto the elevator and up to his room.

and thanks nancy for the great piece. it's nice to know his later years were for the most part productive and enjoyable.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2012, 10:51:29 AM »
I was fortunate enough to be able to track down a copy of Friday's New York Times.  I salvaged an unread copy from a recycling bin.  The article, although an incomplete account, is going in the box of memorable papers.  It is such a beautiful picture of Mr. Frid.  I am glad it was chosen for their tribute.   

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
The Frid family has started a facebook memory page.

https://www.facebook.com/officialjonathanfrid

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2012, 11:50:40 PM »
I just watched a youtube video of Jonathan performing at a recent Fest, and it brought tears to my eyes--it will be poignant for people attending this year's Fest at Lyndhusrst to see the scenes Jonathan was going to present from DS, and then the tribute to him.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2012, 06:10:26 PM »
I have written the first of three blog posts  I intend to write about Jonathan.  The first is now up for anyone who is interested in reading it. 

http://www.nancykersey.blogspot.com/

Thank you.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »
page 52 of the april 30th-may6th issue of TV GUIDE has a tribute to JONATHAN FRID. if you are a subscriber to the magazine like myself you should have the issue already.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2012, 08:43:14 PM »
I have written the first of three blog posts  I intend to write about Jonathan.  The first is now up for anyone who is interested in reading it.

Very nice homage, Kerz. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to reading more.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
Really enjoying these, Nancy.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
Hi  Nancy  very  nicely written  i'm glad  that  you were  his  special  friend.
                     Love  Anne [ghost_smiley] :):)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »
I helped Jonathan with his fan mail for many years.  I read many letters from fans who are gay and they wrote extensively about how much they related to Barnabas growing up, his need to protect his secret because few would understand . . .

i didn't get into DS until i was in my late twenties and my "coming out" process was already complete...

so the "man with a secret" subtext to the barnabas collins character and jonathan frid's performance were not part of my attraction to the series. in fact having watched it(on video)from episode one i was already hooked on the show before the character even made his first appearance.

David

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »
There's a book called TV Milestones: Dark Shadows that talks extensively about the show's gay appeal for that very reason.
I mentioned this topic when I did my Frid obit in Fangoria & I'll be doing so again in San Francisco's Bay Area Reporter, where my review of Depp Shadows will conclude with a Frid tribute.

I see the new film at a May 7 press screening--I really hope they have the decency to dedicate the film to Mr. Frid's memory.

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »
Thankyou Nancy for a wonderful article on Jonathan. I look forward to  reading the other two you plan on doing. Richie

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »
Thank you Nancy.  I look forward to your future entries.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com