Author Topic: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed  (Read 15777 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
I saw somewhere it's dedicated to Dan Curtis but I am sure they will add Mr. Frid today. I had another outburst.  I was reading RETURN TO COLLINWOOD and the now familiar line "WE WOULDN'T BE HERE IF IT WASN'T FOR YOU"  My mom has been really sick and I am sure that is part of it; however, his death hit me really hard. I think because I have never been to a fest.  I am so sad that so many have slipped pass me. I will be at the WEST COAST FEST next year come hell or high water.

It was eerie. You can believe me or not. Jonathan was already dead on August 17 and my friend and I were talking about how DS was so much more than a show to us. We met 21 years because of DS and now arethe best of friends with her moving here recently. I dropped her off after my doctors apt. and I had this overwhelming urge that one of the big stars on the show wouldn't be here long.  It was fleeting but so strong I started crying on my way home.  I called my friend and told her.  Two days later I called her to let her know how my mom was and she said "Taeylor, you were in tune with something, Jonathan has passed"  I was floored. I thought maybe I was just worrying when I felt those feelings that day.  I have had a bit of intuition all my life; my grandmother was the same way and so is my dad.   When I listen to it I am good if I don't then I usually find myself in trouble. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

David

« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »
www.change.org/petitions/warner-brothers-dedicate-tim-burton-s-dark-shadows-to-the-memory-of-jonathan-frid

Please sign the petition to get Warners to dedicate the film to Mr. Frid. Thanks.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
I write a blog entry today about Jonathan that might interest you.
http://www.nancykersey.blogspot.com

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
I write a blog entry today about Jonathan that might interest you.
http://www.nancykersey.blogspot.com

'bout time, you slacker.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
Nice photo of JF, there, Kerz. You know I'll always curse myself for not taking you up on the invite to visit Mr. Frid. Just shoot me.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2012, 10:30:49 PM »
That was wonderful, Nancy!  I especially loved two things within it:  how Jonathan stated he would not tell Depp how to portray Barnabas, and the Lincoln Tunnel story.

Regarding the former, it has to do with his meeting (as the story is recollected from other sources) with Johnny Depp, with Depp in full make-up.  The only "criticism" Jonathan had, obviously done with wit and humor, after eyeing him, was to say:  "You've got more locks than I did." 

As for the latter, for anyone to do that in NYC shows what an incredibly compassionate, caring man he was.  I can only imagine the fear if not down-right terror the driver had wondering what was going to happen next and he went to the "rescue."  That says so much about his character.

Gerard

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2012, 04:12:22 AM »
Love the man.  May he rest in peace.
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »
Thank you Nancy. That was beautiful and once again....I am crying......what an extraordinary man! Smile down upon your legacy on May 11Th dear Jonathan!!  We Love You....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2012, 07:55:59 PM »
Thankyou Nancy for another wonderful article about Jonathan. He  truly was a unique man. Thankyou again. Richie

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
Just another thumbs up from me.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »
i saw the dark shadows movie at the chinese theatre world premiere and they only dedicate the film to dan curtis and frid's cameo is about 1-2 seconds!

David

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2012, 04:18:31 PM »
I saw it at a press screening here in San Francisco--all four original cast cameos are a waste!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
ABC News In Memoriam 2012
A look at the notable people who died this year

JF is currently on page 15.

With thanks to Julia99

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »
Every year around Christmas time Turner Classic Movies does a beautiful retrospect of actors and film people who have passed away. I bet Mr. Frid will be included in this year's ode.

As I am involved in the Current Watching Project here (intro to Barn just recently), I am enjoying Mr. Frid as Barnabas very much. In between that, during one of my Quentin fixes, Frid shines even more. I can't fathom how these people remembered all the dialogue they had, never mind personal appearances and what not.