Author Topic: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed  (Read 15772 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: Jonathan Frid, Our Barnabas Collins, Has Passed
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2012, 10:58:28 PM »
Having watched my father go from a man that split his own firewood to one that couldn't care for himself on even the very basic level, I am glad that he went with his dignity.

As you said so well Nancy, "all the pain is with us now".

I wish I had know him better, I couldn't have loved him more.
May you die before you want too.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2012, 12:09:50 AM »
I don't know if his numbers were going up or down or where they topped out but our dear Mr. Frid was trending at number 7 world wide on twitter last night. Kinda tells me there's alot of Frid Fans out there. Maybe more than anyone believed. I hope he would get a kick out of that.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2012, 12:23:01 AM »
He had a lot of fans in South America.  You wouldn't believe how many . . tons.  That's as scientific with numbers as I can be right now.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2012, 03:27:16 AM »
You know, we all knew that this day would eventually come, even thought we ignored it's possibility and didn't want to face it.  We've lost so many of our beloved DS people over the past many decades - Joan Bennett, Thayer David, Grayson Hall, et. al. - and grieved.  But with passing of Mr. Frid, it has truly hit home, at least for me.  It feels that with him now gone, so is DS.  I know it's not true, but that's how I feel.  I keep thinking about him and all that he meant since he became the face of DS.  he brought so much joy and wonderment to so many of us who grew up watching the show.  All I want to do is talk him, his passing, and the show, and I have done a bit of that with friends who are trying to understand, but I know it's something beyond their comprehension, so I keep it to myself.  For the most part, I mourn alone.  I know the pain and grief will pass.  I just wonder how I will react when I see the movie and especially to see him in it, and remembering what Johnny Depp said when he met him (paraphrasing):  "If it wasn't for you, none of us would be here right now."  Well, many of us who identified with him wouldn't be here right now without what he did.  He gave us, in his portrayal, hope when we felt hopeless.  I need to focus on the fact that our DS is not dead and gone.  The fact that this movie is coming out is proof of that.  And our beloved Mr. Frid may be gone, but his memory, like the love tens-of-millions developed for the show (leading to this film), will always be with us.  Including me.  I know that's true, but right now, in my grief, I have to allow my feelings of a world of mine swept away to play out. 

We will always love you, Jonathan Frid.  I hope you, during your life, had known how much you meant to us and how you kept us feeling that life is precious.

Gerard

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2012, 05:48:41 AM »
Gerard - I want to stop the world and tell it how my heart is breaking but I know they wouldn't understand. This hurts more than when my father passed. He had been sick a long time and we wanted it to be over for him but it still hurt, just not like this.

I so want the movie to be dedicated to him but I don't want to leave the theater in tears and I would. I hope that if it is every fan stands lets everyone in the theater know how they felt about Mr. Frid. It would be great if we could take candles but I don't think the theaters would like that.

I do wish there was a way to show the world just how much we all loved the man. Any ideas?

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »
I remember grandpa passed in june of 1968. Grandma was living in rural Michigan at the time and there was really no TV channel she could pick up, living between Chicago and Detroit. they had a tv but all channels was snowy and not really worth watching...She came to live with us in the suburbs of Philadelphia from sept. 1968 to april 1969. when i got home from school, mom and grandma had quilting frames in the living room and would sew away..we had been watching DS from about feb. 1968....Grandma was the sweetest lady you could have as a grandparent...she got familiar with clear television while she was with us...THere was one show that she really liked...you got it...DS...on several occasions she would ask me when "Barnabas was coming on" Brings back some fond memories having her there, and the enjoyment of watching grandma watching her favorite show and favorite actor....R.I.P Mr. Frid, and thank you for helping a sweet old lady forget about her loss for at least 30 minutes a day.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2012, 07:46:53 AM »
He lived a long and great life and left a lasting legacy to the world.  He will be missed and I hope we can all come up with ways to show how much we loved him.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »
tripwire, that was such a sweet story...and Phil, that was such a good article.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »

David

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »
thanks, Midnite, whenever I try to post links they don't work.

I almost short circuited my laptop, weeping onto the keyboard when I typed up the Fangoria tribute.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »
The online outpouring of affection and grief has been really touching just to witness. And if the movie does nothing else, it has undoubtedly convinced the mainstream media to shine a brighter spotlight onto Mr. Frid as he took his final bow. Whatever our opinions of the actual film, that has to count for something.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

David

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2012, 06:29:16 PM »
I'll be reviewing Depp Shadows in San Francisco's Bay Area Reporter--my editor just asked me to include a tribute to Frid--actually I told him I wanted to do that & he said yes.
I'd like to write about why Frid's performances resonated so deeply with gay viewers--if anyone here is willing to be quoted (real names only please) then PM me--I can quote ONE person only.
Thanks.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »
The Worcester Telegram & Gazette had a huge article on him. Not often that you see a vampire in the headlines.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2012, 12:08:57 AM »
though i wasn't around when the show was 1st on. i've been a fan since (1998) i think? of the original show for "DS" well the remake that is. it had to be in (1991) i can't really remember if i watched the 2 hr. film or not, but that's how long i've been a fan. anyways,my point is i wasn't around back when it was 1st on.

so i didn't run home from school back than. & though it does affect me of course that he passed away.
i don't have no good stories like many of you do, where they watched it with loved ones who have long since passed away. for example. actually nobody in my family likes the show. i used to watch the remake with my dad so that has meaning to me. so when 'Ben Cross" one day passes away  it'll prolly affect me

even though i haven't really seen many of his work even now. but i do find it pretty amazing that 'Mr. Frid" lived to be 87 years old!  that's a good long life. and it's nice that he went back to 'DS" many years having retired from it all together. it's a bit like 'Tim Curry" with "Rocky Horror"

i'm not really a "Rocky Horror" fan but that's a guy who mostly stays away from it now. but every now & than every once in a while. he shows up at some anniversary for it. or grants a RARE interview. but again that's normally for an anniversary for it. anyways i also am glad that we get to see him on the big screen one last time. even if it is only in a cameo. & many of us here weren't around back when it was 1st on. so we didn't see the film or any of his films on the big screen back than when they 1st came out.

so it's nice he gave us that. thank you for the memories Mr. Frid.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »
I am touched by much of what has been posted here about Jonathan Frid. Of course, I was saddened to hear of his passing, and still am. I am glad that I got to see him at the 2007 and 2008 DS Festivals. I am also glad that he had a quick passing and was able to die with his dignity intact.

What really surprises me is that I have NOT seen or heard anything about Jonathan Frid's passing on TV or radio, even on ABC. There's a lot online, though. If I didn't have a computer, I wouldn't know about it at all. That is really sad.

However, there is a LOT of media attention about Dick Clark's passing. This reminds me about Farrah Fawcett dying on the same day as Michael Jackson. Most of the media concentrated on Michael Jackson. But at least she WAS mentioned on TV and radio! I think in general, Dark Shadows does NOT get the respect it deserves. I remember being disappointed that Dan Curtis wasn't mentioned much, either, when he died.

Jonathan Frid, you are loved and you will be missed. RIP.
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]