Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42072 times)

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
I have mixed feelings -- I kept hoping it would get better.  Alas.

I have really been enjoying their version of Year One, especially Villanova's art.  I follow his blog, and he posted recently, thanking DS websites for providing him with lots of examples of the characters to work with, and it shows in his work.  I was hoping they would do another "year one," this time focusing on Quentin or Angelique.  Again, I say, alas.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I don't "campaign against" anything.  But if I think material with the DS logo has crap content, you can bet your dollars to doughnuts I'm going to say so.

I don't see why being a fan means we have to be yes men to everything produced with the logo. 

Back in the early Seventies I kept buying the Gold Key comics as long as they were available in my area--same with the Marilyn Ross "novels"--despite the awful artwork and scripts that had at best only a peripheral relationship with ANYTHING in the original series. (At least the Ross "books" had great photo covers.) I was starved for DS stuff at the time.  In 2013, that's no longer the case and I don't see why I should bother buying material so poorly written, the last issue of the comic I purchased went straight into the recycling bin five minutes after I finished reading it.

cheers, G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS #21 out tomorrow!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS #22 out today--the penultimate issue (for now)?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
I kept hoping this comic series would improve, but it never went anywhere. While I appreciate that it wasn't in the vein of Depp Shadows, the Dynamite series was seriously flawed. The storyline seemed interminable and the series failed to capture the otherworldly gothic feel  of the TV show. Instead, Raicht and the Dynamite editors opted for something much more visceral in nature (the writer cites 'Salem's Lot' as an influence). I wish they had just handed the writing duties over to a hardcore fan. It would have been nice if someone like, say, S. Mark Rainey, had a shot at it. Alas, the final issue has come and gone. I bought it and read it all the way to the end and kept hoping they'd change gears, but it was not meant to be. Here's hoping that someone else picks up the comic rights. It'd be great if someone gave classic DS the great comic book series it deserves.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Is the trend now to give restarts or new versions of an old show specifically to people who don't know the show well and don't even necessarily like it?  ("Re-imaginings", to use a ridiculously over-dignified word, a la JJ Abrams Star Trek movies.)  They may be running away from any possibility of the remaker being so much of an obsessive fan that he can't make it for the masses, but if so, they go way too far when they do this.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor