Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42101 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I finally caught sight of one of these yesterday, on a visit to the massive Back Bay Newbury Comics store.  The cover portrays Barnabas and Vampi sharing an intimate moment.  Barnabas looks a little like Frank Langella and a little like Ben Cross--the result could almost make one think of ... Bert Convy.  That was unexpected.

I had a quick flip through it and it really did not seem like my cup of tea.  Did the label abandon the original DS book altogether now?

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
No, Gothick, they are publishing two DS books, the regular monthly book as well as this mini-series. Most of the shops sell out of them fairly quickly.

While I've enjoyed both, I do have an issue with them. The DS book is set back in the '70's and Vampirella's regular book is set in the present. What time period is the crossover supposed to be set in?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS #10 will be in stores tomorrow... only 3 weeks after the last issue!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Finally got around to reading #10. It's a mixed bag. A very mixed bag.

Most of the vampire contingent has been disposed of. But the main villain and Emma are still at large. The David/Emma story nicely parallels the Barnabas/Julia one.

The Willie subplot picks up steam and merges with whatever is happening with the Roger/Carolyn story. Something very nasty that pertains to the Collins bloodlines is happening in the basement of the Blue Whale. This appears to be the start of the next story arc.

No Quentin this issue, no dialogue for Carolyn or Roger and just some hand wringing for Elizabeth. Barnabas gives Julia a peck on the cheek. Hopefully, that will lead to something more.

The art is certainly better than it was but it's still off. The characters at least look like human beings, which is a step up from previous artists. But no attempt seems to be made at actor likenesses. Barnabas suffers the most from this. At times, he resembles Dick Sargent.  At other times, he seems to be green. Whether that is a coloring snafu or a hint of a future plot remains to be seen.

Overall, the book is okay. Just okay. Let's see where #11 goes.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS #11 will be in stores tomorrow, Dec. 19!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Thanks for tip, Midnite. I went to the store and picked up #11 today and got the last copy.

I was pleasantly surprised. This was the best issue in recent memory.

The author, Mike Raicht, seems to have settled in. The subplots are more balanced and all the major characters get some panel time. Elizabeth is more involved in the story than she was in the later years of the TV show. And she and Julia may be called upon to save the day next issue. There are also some brief references to Laura that may foreshadow a future story.

We finally learn what has happened to Roger and Carolyn and it's not very nice. And what seems to be on the horizon for Willie and Barnabas is even worse.

The art is rather pedestrian but I suppose I can live with it.

One more thing: great cliffhanger. I'm really looking forward to the next issue.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
I was pleasantly surprised as well.  It's nice to see the characters resembling the actors (and it's also fun to play "spot the scene/photo" the artist used for reference.  Laura in David's framed photo is obviously 1897 Laura, which I actually enjoyed a bit).  Although I hope someone is going to explain a) why Quentin can turn into a werewolf and b) why Quentin can turn into a werewolf whenever he chooses.

(And is anyone else getting Let the Right One in vibes from David and his "little girlfriend" storyline?)
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
I didn't pick up on it initially, Nicky, but I think you're right. I'm just glad it's not Twilight.  [santa_cheesy]  [a_xmas]

I also missed the special thanks, not just to Jim Pierson but also to longtime fan Jeff Thompson.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS #12 out tomorrow!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I hope it's okay to do this ...

I posted the covers/summaries of the next batch of comics on my DS blog ... all the way up to issue 16 or so!
http://www.shadowsonthewallzine.blogspot.com/

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Two good issues in a row! Issue #12 is a real page turner, as the various story threads move forward. The big bad vampire from the earlier story has surfaced in another town and pretty much depopulated it. No doubt he will turn up in Collinsport again. We are also introduced to the town's sheriff and his feisty daughter Jackie. These characters will figure prominently in this issue's cliffhanger.

Emma the apprentice vampire surprises everyone--especially herself--by being able to command the werewolf.

The cult that has enslaved Roger and Carolyn actually seems to succeed with their plans. One of the characters in danger at the end of last issue is rescued but one is definitely not. Good use of Julia and Elizabeth in this sequence. This sets in motion a cliffhanger that I definitely did NOT see coming. Mike Raicht is on a roll here and I am quite looking forward to issue #13.

I still don't care much for the artwork. The vampires are extremely sloppy eaters and a little too clown like for me. The depiction of the new "big bad" is silly and unimaginative.

This issue's cover is drawn well enough but it has absolutely nothing to do with what happens in the issue.  It also makes Barnabas look like the illustration of the flip side of an old buffalo nickel.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows:  Year One.  Man, I was just kidding when I wrote about this yesterday.  Still, looks interesting, and the cover is rad.

http://www.shadowsonthewallzine.blogspot.com/2013/01/dark-shadows-year-one.html

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Thanks, Nicky, that certain does look intriguing. The good news is that it's being written by Marc Andreyko, whose work on the Vampirella crossover I quite enjoyed. The interior art is being done by the artist whose work on the regular book I thoroughly disliked. But I'll still buy it.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Odd that they call it "Year One" and feature Angelique on the cover, when the show was well into Year Two by that point. (In fact, it was the last quarter of Year One in which Barnabas was introduced...) Of course, for the general population, there was no such thing as DS without Barnabas...

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
"Year One", in a comic book context, refers to the origin of the characters.  Frank Miller popularized the term in 1986 with "Batman:  Year One"; since then, there have been a whole host of "Year One" titles.  Dynamite is referring to "Barnabas' Year One" as the time when he became a vampire.