Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42117 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
yeah it's not exactly what i was expecting storywise either however...

[spoiler]never has a piece of needlepoint looked quite so forboding![/spoiler]

i still have high hopes for the series.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
It's definitely kind of off...
[spoiler]I mean, is it really that exciting that Angelique returns for the 13th time?  I really hope in the next issue that the more normal Angelique returns and that the Collins family remembers her for what they knew her to be--like the wealthy housewife of Sky Rumson or Roger's wife (polygamy...)  I'd expect Quentin in particular not to be hysterical but, holding a drink in his hand, to take the view that so what if Angelique wanted to come back again (certainly the first time he summoned her in 1897 it began with horror and ended with wit.)  I'm still not sure if he turned into the werewolf spectrally inside his own mind or in physical form.  If it was inside his mind, that is interesting.  [/spoiler]
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I too am slightly disappointed with this issue.  

Though the art of Frid improved dramatically, and Selby is very well done throughout, neither the art nor the story were as compelling as in the first issue.  

[spoiler]The problem begins on the second page with the text, more specifically Roger's dialogue:  

"Don't act innocent with me, boy.  You've played your last prank."  

The first thing that struck me with this dialogue was the fact that I could never recall Roger calling David "boy" when addressing him.  Perhaps he did, but it didn't sound very much like something Louis Edmonds would say as Roger.  The dialogue gets weaker from that point on, with Elizabeth doing a lot of worrying and whining.  While she did do a little of this on the original show, it was nowhere near the extent that we get in these pages.  The weak dialogue continues on the third page with Barnabas proclaiming to Julia, "Good God... I think you may be right."  It just doesn't sound like Barnabas.  These are just a few examples where the dialogue and characters are compromised to move the story along.  After all, this is a comic book, and this is how comic characters speak.  But it's not how these characters speak, at least not in the first issue or in the series.  I really would have liked to have seen the more realistic dialogue from Issue 1 continue - even if its meant delaying the progression of the story.

Fortunately, we get a lot more Quentin in this issue.  And his dialogue is believable.  You can hear Selby saying these things, though I don't think we'd ever get such diverse extremes from the Quentin character on a traditional episode of the show.  This Quentin seems to be a materialization of all of the previous incarnations of the character (to the extreme). But that is okay, as Quentin is really enjoyable when he is very angry or very sardonic.  I am just not used to both extremes happening within a few moments of each other.

The highlight of the comic comes when we have the werewolf transformation.  It is just beautifully done, and the image of werewolf is really amazing.  Like tragic bat points out, we don't know if this transformation actually happened, and that makes it all the more amazing in my mind.

Over all, there was a little too much going on for the amount of pages we had - and the fact that the whole family was in on this seemed to be a bit of a sellout.  Why did they all have to share the same dark secret?  Why couldn't they each have had their own, secrets that would be revealed over time?  It almost read like a Leviathan story sent into overdrive.  It seemed rushed, and the final payoff really wasn't all that rewarding.  I just hope that now that Angelique is back, it will return to the style of storytelling we saw in Issue 1, the much stronger, more consistent, character-driven narration.  And that this series does not give into the traditional comic format and continues to try and mimic, as much as possible, the feel of the original series through well-paced storytelling and strong dialogue for the characters.    

Don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoyed this issue, and am definitely devoted to this series.  I just felt a little let down after an amazing first issue.  I am going to continue to invest in this continuation of the original series, as I feel it has the potential to be the closest thing we'll ever get to a direct sequel - plus the artwork of Collinwood alone is worth the 3.99 price tag!  

[/spoiler]

Final thoughts:

In this issue, the bartender resembles Don Briscoe, doesn't he?

I may have missed this earlier, but the first four issues are being collected in this: http://dynamite.net/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C160690275X

And it's touting the fact that the comic book source is now a major motion picture!  Exciting, no?   [8_2_59]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I am still waiting for mine.  I am glad I am not the only one who is a little disappointed by the art.  Again though, I am spoiled by the amazing art from Charmed.  The likeness of the girls are dead on.  In DS case they didn't have to get permission, but before the comic of Charmed came out it was announced that they had to ask the girls for permission to use their likeness.  I found that interesting considering Charmed was already owned by Paramount and it seemed they would own their likeness from Charmed. There must have been a likeness clause or something. Charmed could never use Shannen Doherty's likeness or show her in flashbacks (after she left) because she had some kind of image clause in her contract.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm sure that in this present age of pop culture being immortal, most actors' contracts provide for as much control and compensation over images as their lawyers are able to get from the producers.  Back in the day of the original DS, nobody in their wildest dreams thought there would be the kind of continued (and spin-off) life that we witness today.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Received both of mine today, "The Hand" and "The Portrait" covers, woo-hoo!!!! [8_2_59]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I can't wait to get mine and thanks for the explanation about likenesses.  Side note about Charmed: Shannen Doherty once again has denied her fans the right to her likeness in her comics. She did the same thing with the show and they couldn't even show a picture of her in the final montage that showed all the family photos hanging on the walls of the staircase. I really think she is still bitter bitter; however she is alienating a lot of her fans.   They would have been so happy to see her again in the comics.  I do the like the storyline they are doing though to work around it. Sorry for getting off topic....

I hope I do like the new comic. I am hearing some people say they are not liking the way the story is going.  Maybe if this story wasn't they could the next one would be better. Getting back to Charmed, it took them a couple eps to get the into the groove and now it's so so good. It's like having to wait for new ep and almost drives you crazy!

I have been reading some old DS material that claims that the DS actors get residuals, and then KLS said at DC memorial they still got them. I was surprised that they even got residuals and that anyone would have thought to have that in a contract.  I guess as you said though in those days images were not anything someone would have thought about.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
[spoiler]I mean, is it really that exciting that Angelique returns for the 13th time?  I really hope in the next issue that the more normal Angelique returns and that the Collins family remembers her for what they knew her to be--like the wealthy housewife of Sky Rumson or Roger's wife (polygamy...)[/spoiler]

interesting observation about angelique here...

[spoiler]she does turn up like a bad penny every three or four months when the storyline/time period changes. i'm surprised they're not like "oh, it's you again. what do you want this time?".[/spoiler]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
TFAW.com finally updated their release date of issue #3 to January 25, so maybe we might be seeing it next week.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
1/25 is the date my comic shop guy gave me, and he's been right the past two times ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Glad to hear it, Nicky and Sara Monster!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Excellent news. Thanks for the heads up.  [snow_smiley]

And, SaraMonster, I love the new Blingee in your sig.  [snow_laugh]  And I really love your new avatar!  [thumb]

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Thank you, Mysterious Benefactor!  [snow_smiley]

& I'm rather thrilled that we can have animated avatars again!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So, has anyone gotten their hands on #3 yet?

Yesterday I received an e-mail from TFAW that they would be shipping my issue, but so far nothing to confirm that it has shipped. But then, last time I didn't receive any e-mail at all, so for all I know it could show up in my mailbox tomorrow...

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
It really did come out today, my comic shop guy swears it ... he just lost the one issue he got in.  Sigh.  He's reordered it, so he thinks it should be in by next Wednesday ... or the Wednesday after that ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"