Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42159 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow--their website is promoting
#11, so they are way behind schedule.
Fade Away and Radiate

ClaudeNorth

Just read #6.  Am I seeing things, or are Quentin and Willie dressed in period clothing?  And, if so, why?

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I couldn't bring myself to go and buy #5, I was so disgusted with the concluding issue of the first story arc.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
It sounds as if the "artists" are randomly grabbing photo references off the internet without bothering to check whether they are from DS roles or not.  Somebody told me that Julia appeared in a pantsuit in one panel. Now, GH wore pantsuits *in other roles, NON DS* and the "artist" may have found this on the internet and decided to use the costume...

I am too sickened to continue reading the book--even the concept of browsing it at the shop feels potentially nauseating.

G. the delicate flower

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
yes in one jewel of an issue julia, carolyn, roger and quentin were ALL wearing the same green pantsuit.

carolyn and julia never wore pants on the series(minus carolyn's "buzz" moment). in some panels julia appears to be channeling linda hamilton bodywise...broad and busty in kick-ass pants and tight tops. i mean how hard is it to draw a proper skirtsuit?

i dropped these after the abysmal volume four...any improvement? what's the storyline now?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Maybe that's the latest curse of Angelique upon the Collins family... "you will ALL wear hideous lime-green leisure suits... for ALL ETERNITY!!!"  Now that's a horror show.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Guess it's the Ohrbach's curse!

I found issue #5 to be an incoherent mess, so #6 came as a pleasant surprise. It was nice to see David getting some story. He is presented as a social misfit/nerd/pariah. After so many years of home schooling, it cannot have been easy to go back to public school. And the one girl who genuinely likes him pays a price for it. Elizabeth gets a decent scene and Willie makes his first appearance.

Not entirely sure about the Julia/Barnabas scene. She's obviously quite angry with him for snacking on Bambi.

It's certainly better than the last two issues. There's still room for improvement. As a comic book story, it's okay. As a Dark Shadows story, it misses the Dark Brigadoon flavor that Jonathan Frid often spoke of.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
it's interesting that julia always gets "angry", and sort of takes it personally, when barnabas needs to and does "feed"...

i mean she knows what he is, and since her "experiment" did not work out entirely, while i can understand her being upset her scolding attitude is rather uncalled for.

he needs blood to survive and she knows it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I found issue #6 in my mail today - but I've been so busy lately that I haven't even gotten around to reading issue #5. So, given some of the comments here about both issues, it will interesting to read them both back-to-back once I get the chance.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Just read #6.  Am I seeing things, or are Quentin and Willie dressed in period clothing?  And, if so, why?

Actually, it looks like Willie is wearing Carl's clothes:

Carl:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4hp63D5PI1rpbqpfo1_500.jpg

Willie: (warning: Spoilers)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8069ejFpz1rpbqpfo4_1280.jpg

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
I hadn't noticed that before, Sara Monster. At least it wasn't another green pantsuit! [ghost_rolleyes]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I have not been able to bring myself to go down to the comic shop to get it yet, but I am glad that some are saying there is an improvement.  I imagine that there is, considering it couldn't get much worse than what was in the previous two issues. 

As long as "Julie" doesn't make another appearance, I think I'll survive. 

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
The Dynamite website has some preview pages of the DS/Vampirella crossover and it looks pretty good. The artwork is vastly superior and the pacing of the story is as well. I wanted to read more after I finished the preview pages. Quite the opposite to my reaction to issues 4 and 5.

No artwork of Barnabas appears in the preview, other than the cover shot of him and Vampirella. No idea when this might actually come on; Dynamite's schedule is creative, to say the least.

But I am cautiously optimistic.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Both DS #7 and DS/Vampirella #2 go on sale tomorrow.  Will definitely be heading to my comic store for both.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Thanks for the heads up, Midnite. I'll hit my store tomorrow or Thursday.
Fade Away and Radiate