Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42073 times)

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I'm dying with all the delays to Lara Parker's book, been waiting for YEARS! I'm psyched from what I've heard about book 4 in progress.
The Vampirella cross over date keeps getting moved back and forth. I'm also waiting on the second volume of the regular comic series. I originally got the tpb of the first collection as it's a nicer format and I figured surely the next volume would be out in six months or so, a reasonable wait. I didn't allow for such excructiating delays.
Oh well, it's still nice to have new DS stories to look forward to (and now Year One too!) and the Big Finish audios begin releasing their new series of linked dramatic readings this month too. It's a good time to be a DS fan with so many new stories upcoming.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS Year One #2 is out tomorrow!

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
My patience has finally worn out on waiting for the DS series to get released in tpb. I have the Vampirella crossover pre ordered already in tpb, but have gone ahead and ordered DS 5-19 and Year One 1-4, which includes the next couple of upcoming months pre ordered, from Dynamite.
I am really psyched about getting to read these, especially since I'll be getting so many of them at once! Between this, the return of the DS audios starting this month and Lara Parker's new DS novel coming out in August there's a lot of new DS coming up to look forward to!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The Vampirella cross over date keeps getting moved back and forth.

No kidding!  But the latest estimated arrival date is June 5; fingers crossed.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
My copy of the Vampirella crossover is supposed to shipping from Amazon soon.
I got the first of two packages of the comics yesterday. Of course, the next issue I haven't read, is in the second package which should arrive Monday, so I still have to wait. I did read the first two issues of Year One. While I understand the need to compress some details for space, a whole lot of important things - like the marriage between Josette and Jeremiah - are completely left out. Angelique's spell affects Jeremiah and he challenges Barnabas to a duel without Josette ever being shown to be under the spell, so that it's even more jarring when Barnabas marries someone else.
Also, there is a scene where Barnabas sleeps with Angelique the first time. Barnabas is drunk and has one night of debauchery at Jeremiah's mischievous prompting. They barely even do more than introduce themselves before they go to bed, and the next morning Barnabas flees as soon as he wakes up. It's fairly puzzling where Angelique got her undying love for Barnabas from. There's certainly no sense that he betrayed her. It's a fairly weak scene, since so much story springs from that one night. Love it or hate it, but Lara Parker's Angelique's Descent did a fair job of showing why Angelique fell in love with Barnabas and why she felt betrayed, while also making Barnabas's actions understandable too.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS #18 comes out tomorrow, according to my local Comic store.  Which means I completely missed the release of #17, sigh.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
I'm really quite intrigued by "Year One."  Even though the writing remains shaky, the way the story is playing out is interesting -- particularly freaky was the scene where Josette leaped to her death and Barnabas, moments later, strangled Angelique as she came to taunt him.  I know I've said this before, but I'm in love with Guiu Vilanova's representations of the familiar characters.  The moment where we see Angelique's face, post-strangulation, is even more disturbing and grotesque than its television counterpart.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Year One #4 comes out tomorrow!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I guess it is really old at this point but yesterday, in a massive comics shop in Salem (Mass.--yes, Virginia, the one with the Witches) I had the chance to browse issue 10 of the main DS book.  I nearly bought it because I saw what looked to my rather critical eye like a fairly decent drawing of Grayson in her 1967 Hoffman mode.  She was having a colloquy with Nicholas Blair where they were back to their old game of trying to out-bitch one another.  I found the writing just enough off-key to be grating.  So I did not take it home with me.  There was also an issue of the "Year One" thing that showed Barnabas rising as a vampire for the first time in 1795.  I found the art in that one really ugly--it looked as if someone had thrown up all over the pages.  Ugh.  There was, too, an issue of the Vampirella thing but I just couldn't be bovvered (as Catherine Tate's snotty schoolgirl would say).

cheers, G.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I've overall really been enjoying the main series. There's a lot of great scenes for Julia in that series, and the writing subtly reflects a pro-Barnabas and Julia subtext - althought it's less subtext and more blatant really, but in a tasteful way.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That's good to know, Quentin. 

G.

David

Re: "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)
« Reply #341 on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:43 PM »
Those who hate the DS comics from Dynamite can rejoice: issue 23 will be the last.

I'm really disgusted with certain portions of fandom. They campaigned against the comics, the Burton film, and the audio dramas, and even the NBC series 20 years ago.
If they don't want DS to continue, why can't they shut the F**k up and let the rest of us enjoy it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I can't say I've loved everything about the Dynamite DS comics - but then I don't love everything about any version of DS (though NoDS does come close [ghost_wink]). But I was enjoying the comics for what they are. It's really too bad they're coming to an end. Oh, well...

I wasn't even aware that there was a segment of fandom that was campaigning against the comics. But then, it doesn't surprise me...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
more than actively "campaigning against" the comic series I think a lot of fans gradually became disillusioned with it...

I enjoyed the first volume and had high hopes for the series. but over the next few issues lost interest as it drifted into a direction I found silly and juvenile. by volume four, which if I recall featured a bunch of monsters fighting on a dock, I knew I was finished.

I voted with my wallet but didn't "campaign against" it. and perhaps the publishers simply felt it had run it's course.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
From a DS fan standpoint, this comic series was more interesting in the beginning. But there is no way a series can survive with only DS fans alone buying it with stories that would only appeal to them - it had to eventually try to appeal to the broader comic audience. And because of that there were a lot of things that, shall we say, went far afield of what we would normally expect in the DS universe. But then, the same can be said of the Marilyn Ross novels, so. And in the cases of both this comic series and those novels, things didn't always work. But still, if nothing else, this comic series was an interesting experiment.