Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42121 times)

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
And it seems, storywise, more "classic" DS than what's appearing in the regular book -- as much as I love the appearance of fan faves like Nicholas Blair, a lot of the plot twist make my eyes roll.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Nicky, those images make me super excited for the series!

And speaking of the other, DS #15 comes out tomorrow.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Amazon has the DS/Vampirella trade paperback available for preorder at $ 10.98. That's cheaper than buying the original comics at cover price.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Amazon has the DS/Vampirella trade paperback available for preorder at $ 10.98.

Ah, a small price drop since I pre-ordered from them.  Though the release date also moved to May since then: 
  The paperback of the 5-issue Vampirella/DS crossover will be in stores in April...
Thanks!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Here are a few more preview pages from Dark Shadows:  Year One.  Getting more excited every day; LOVE LOVE LOVE how Angelique's hair floats as she hovers outside the Collins family mausoleum.  Looks like she's on fire (and reminds me of another Phoenix; Jean Gray from X-Men, speaking of comic books).

http://shadowsonthewallzine.blogspot.com/2013/04/more-previews-of-dark-shadows-year-one.html

(Also, despite the not-being-completely-on-board-ness of me regarding the current series, it was pretty cool to see Nicholas Blair emerge at the House by the Sea ((even though Angelique's coffin and the shattered magic mirror were somewhere else, weren't they? still, cool OS continuity reference)) ... AND there was a Cassandra shout-out!  What what!)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Angelique's coffin was originally in a secluded basement room of the House by the Sea.  Towards the end of her time in that particular storyline, she moved her coffin AND stole the magic mirror to another location.  I was never sure exactly where it was, but Barnabas took Julia there after Nicholas's disappearance and that was when they found the shattered mirror.

G.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
That's what I thought.  Ah, well ... an attempt at continuity, then.  Still, appreciating the Blair likeness (and a PORTRAIT), and the Cassandra reference.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
A portrait of Nicholas Blair?  What a totally cool idea.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Had to wait an extra week to get my copy of #15. My store received its copies damaged, so they had to get another batch from the distributor. It was worth the wait. The subplots are coming together nicely and Nicholas Blair's arrival is most welcome.

The Roger/Carolyn captions occur twice for some reason. They're on both pages 7 and 8. Is this on everyone else's copy? Guess comic books can have bloopers too.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Year #1 is out today, woo hoo, plus incentive covers including a subscription photo variant.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Just got back from the comic shop -- the temporary girl couldn't find my copy, and the owner won't be back 'til tomorrow.  But I found a few preview pages and posted 'em on my blog.  Not sold on the dialogue just yet, but those characters are recognizably Angelique, Barnabas, Jeremiah, and Sarah, so ... call it an upside(?) ...

http://shadowsonthewallzine.blogspot.com/2013/04/dark-shadows-year-one-1-released-today.html

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Totally agree, Nicky, that the likenesses can be quite good, and I enjoyed it though it can be a tad too talky with dialogue that doesn't fit the year... 1795?  (Have to admit that Barnabas' boxers threw me [seen on the 4th comic page on Nicky's blog].)  The events are comfortably familiar but with some interesting tweaks, for example: [spoiler]Barnabas is already engaged to Josette when he sleeps with Angelique-- a worse transgression than on the original series, though I suppose that's offset by his extreme guilt.[/spoiler] Angelique's dialogue is the most disappointing; her spells are ghastly!  Fortunately, Miss Winters drops into the century in issue #2.

Welcome to Collinswood??  Why doesn't somebody catch these things?!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The release of the DS/Vampirella graphic novel was moved to June 6.   [easter_undecided]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS #16 is out today!

And the new release date for the DS/Vampirella collection is August 8.  Wonder why it's taking so long?

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Perhaps they are operating on a similar release schedule to Lara Parker's Tor books.  [easter_evil] [easter_evil]
Fade Away and Radiate