Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42114 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Perhaps they'll even go back to Martinique and show how the triangle got started.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Thanks, Nicky.  Love the cover art.  (But no Quentin, sigh.)

As for the other two DS series: 

DS Comic #13 will be out tomorrow, 1/30, and...

The paperback of the 5-issue Vampirella/DS crossover will be in stores in April and can be pre-ordered on
  various sites such as Cheap Graphic Novels.  Will have to pick it up because I only managed to grab the 1st
  issue of this one before it sold out.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Sorry, I still don't buy the "Year One" business. If it were "Barnabas: Year One" then it would make sense. But this is "Dark Shadows: Year One" and as I pointed out, DS is more than just Barnabas, and in fact Barnabas had nothing to do with the majority of the first year of DS.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
KMR, you know it and I know it, but the comic company doesn't know it.   [snow_wink]   [snow_sad]  But, I am still excited to see what comes of it.

I am surprised that DS has done so well that they are actually making spin-offs!  Wow! 

I stopped buying these back when I thought they jumped the shark.  I may actually have to rethink that now. 

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
It's still pretty silly (I bought #13 this evening) and while the dialogue doesn't feel particularly DS-y, the appearance of a certain familiar face, combined with some time travel jazz, gave me a bit (a bit, mind you) of that old black magic.  Though hearing Liz and Julia discuss LSD and pot still makes me feel as awkward as it did when it showed up in Lara Parker's last book ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Agreed on all points. Comic books are basically silly, some more so than others. To an extent, the same could be said for DS. Issue #13 advances the story, bringing the evil female vampire that Willie encountered into the scene at the Blue Whale. Quite enjoyed the appearance of a certain "familiar face". His appearance leads me to believe that there will be more from him even after this particular story is resolved.

Yes, the drug references are a bit jarring but less so than they were in The Salem Branch.

1984 Collinsport looks like 'Salem's Lot. Very interested to see what's in store for next issue.

Got the last copy of #13 that my store had so someone else besides me is buying it.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
#14 is out.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Just posted some info about #17 and Year One #2 on my blog.  A potentially interesting twist with Vicki Winters:

http://shadowsonthewallzine.blogspot.com/2013/03/upcoming-dark-shadows-comics-from.html

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
vicki!

i stopped buying these with issue 4. but if she's back i'm going to have to give them another look.

is she drawn in the likeness of alexandra or is she a reinterpretation of some sort?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Thanks, Nicky. That looks quite interesting.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Michael:  not sure yet.  They've done varying degrees of specific with the likenesses -- sometimes I can immediately recognize the photo (or screen grab, in some instances) the artist was clearly referencing.  Other times ... ay yi yi.  Grayson Hall is the actress who usually suffers the most in translation.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
unless i'm wrong don't they need permission to use the likeness of a living actor? doesn't that actor receive some sort of royalty for that use?

for that reason i thought they could use the likenesses of joan, louis, grayson and other deceased actors in these. they did not need permission and didn't have to pay out royalties.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
From the blurbs Nicky posted on his site, Vicki is a character in the "Year One" series which is as one would expect, although it sounds as if they're playing fast and loose with the original storyline.

I've totally lost interest in any of these, but for those of you who enjoy them, have fun.

G.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Just posted some more DS Year One previews I uncovered -- I'm growing increasingly excited for this miniseries ... from what I'm gathering in the teasers, the characters look very much like the original actors.

http://shadowsonthewallzine.blogspot.com/2013/04/dark-shadows-year-one-preview.html

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
That's a huge improvement over his work in the monthly book. I will definitely pick this up.
Fade Away and Radiate