Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42034 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I picked up the last copies that my store had of both issues. Guess that's a sellout. Of course they may have only ordered one copy of each.

After the highly erratic publishing schedule of the early issues, it was a pleasant surprise to have them come out reasonably on time. And on the same day.

The author of the regular book is still feeling his way. The plot relating to David's girlfriend hasn't advanced much, except there's a police officer who is suspicious of Barnabas who is equally suspicious of him. Willie has a scene with a predatory vampire in Ireland of all places. I can't tell if this will tie into the main story or if it is setting up a future storyline.

The artwork remains subpar. Barnabas does resemble Frid to an extent and Roger could pass as Louis Edmonds. The rest, not so much. David has enough "big hair" to qualify for the B-52's and Carolyn is just ugly.

It's an okay book. Just okay.

The Vampirella crossover, however, is unexpectedly good. She and Barnabas have a somewhat typical comic book slugfest. Until they find out they're basically on the same side. They banter, kind of like an undead version of Moonlighting, while they search for the villainess. Barnabas and Vampirella are two extremely different characters, which makes for a good read.

Their investigation leads them to a strip club, where Vampirella's friend Pantha works. Quentin shows up at the club also and is much more comfortable there than Barnabas.

The villains get some page time and a future showdown between them and our four heroes is on the horizon.

Good characterizations, good dialogue, decent artwork. One of the better DS projects that I've run across.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
My store didn't have the Vampirella crossover.  Possibly just as well.

I LOVED the cover of the DS issue; unfortunately, the story inside didn't feel very much like Dark Shadows to me at all.  I thought the Innovation take on the revival in the 90s was more successful.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
In a way, I'm somewhat surprised that no one has published a collection of the Innovation comics. Inwonder if the final arc was ever completed.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
If it was, it was never published.  I have the last issue, and it was beautiful -- completely different in tone, both in the writing and the art work.  I was especially intrigued by the way they were weaving Laura Collins through the narrative, as it was obvious that her likeness was based on Lysette Anthony.

I suppose we'll never know.  Sigh.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Never say never. Billy Mumy finished his Lost in Space story and self published it. Perhaps KLS would so it.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I'd buy it.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS Vampirella #3 is in stores today.  My comic store sold out of #2 on the first day (sigh), so many thanks to Uncle Roger for his synopsis.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Ours never had #2.  :(

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Thank you, Midnite. I probably would have been shut out as well, if not for your timely announcement. If you are still unable to find #2 from a comic book store, Amazon has had it for sale. The shipping is high, so I would check elsewhere first. Nothing has been announced yet but I would not be surprised if the Vampi/DS series was collected in a paperback.

Picked up #3 and the latest issue of the regular series. Will post after I've read them.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Picked up #2 *and* #3 yesterday (as well as the new mainstream issue of DS).  Wow.  Wow, wow, wow.  At least in #2 the DS characters looked more or less like their TV counterparts (including the werewolf; um, can anyone answer why Quentin is a werewolf in BOTH series, and one who can change at will to boot?).  #3 ... not so much.  (Who the hell decided that "youngling" was an acceptable term for Barnabas to use ... a lot?)  Terrible dialogue, and I'm sorry, I just don't see why these two properties were mingled.  Cross-overed.  Whatever.  Not a good match.  Barnabas and Quentin at a bathhouse?  Seriously? 

I refer you to The Collinsport Historical Society, which perfectly sums up my own feelings for this misbegottenosity:  http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2012/10/review-dark-shadowsvampirella-2.html

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DARK SHADOWS #9 out tomorrow (Halloween), according to my comic store.  But wait, when did #8 come out?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT - Re: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October
« Reply #281 on: November 09, 2012, 02:51:04 PM »
My apologies for an off-topic announcement in this thread; I think there are some fans here of the old "The Avengers" TV series from England in the Sixties, the one co-starring Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg.  I just heard through the grapevine that the "Steed and Mrs. Peel" comic book series has been revived.  There are a couple of 2012 entries on Amazon and one for next May (maybe the latter is meant to be the first few issues collected in graphic novel format).

Just giving the heads-up here for any fans who might be interested.  I had heard nothing about it, but would like to check it. The 1991 redaction, though written by Grant Morrison, had inferior artwork and I couldn't get past that.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS / Vampirella #4 came out today.  Don't wait, cuz it flies off the shelf. [disgust]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Here's a preview of #4 with the cover and a few page examples:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=14189
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Pantha?  Oh dear.  I had forgotten there was a character named "Pantha."