Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42081 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
speechless. [ghost_blink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Oh my...who knew what lengths Dynamite would go to capitalize on Dark Shadows revived fame. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am not going to comment on Vampirella for the time being...  But I will say that that Barnabas  (Barnadepp methinks) is ten million times better looking than the Barnabas in the film or the Barnabas in Issue 5, who looks like a prune.  (I honestly can't get through it.  The prunes!  The ruins!)

David

Barnabas Meets Vampirella? Yup, it's true!
« Reply #243 on: May 17, 2012, 06:49:53 AM »
A new title coming from Dynamite Comics.
Not sure what I think of this, but I've been asked to do a story on it for Fangoria Mag.
Stay tuned.....

[see link in Reply #237 for cover image --admin]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Stuart had mentioned this was a possibility last year. This kind of crossover happens a lot in comics. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. If Marvel was putting out the book, chances are that Barnabas would be meeting up with the X-men or, even more perversely, Howard the Duck.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
I picked mine up today -- weird.  Interesting appearances by some unexpected characters, but pay attention to the conversation between Jack, the now deceased bartender, and Barnabas about Julie, who was traumatized by the events of last issue.  You know, Julie?  The blonde heiress of Collinwood?  "Oh," you're saying, "you mean CAROLYN, not Julie."  Yeah.  That's what I said.

Scan of that panel:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4howvEIj71rpbqpfo1_1280.jpg

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Blech.  I see what Cousin B means about the prunes. ugh.

I lost all interest in this title after the debacle that was issue 4. For those who continue, I wish you all the best.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Finally got #5 and almost wish I hadn't. The art manages to be even uglier than #4. I realize that Dynamite isn't going to get George Perez or Jim Lee but this is horrendous.

It seems very much like a fill-in issue. Not a bad story but somewhat disjointed. Who are most of these people at the dead party? Aside from the two victims from the last issue, the only ones I can recognize are Carl and Josette. And someone standing by Josette who appears to be Hugh Hefner.

Julie? Julie! There's really no excuse for that. A mistake like that should have been caught by the editor. But the credits on the inside cover do not list one.

Hire one, Dynamite, pronto.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
It seems very much like a fill-in issue. Not a bad story but somewhat disjointed. Who are most of these people at the dead party? Aside from the two victims from the last issue, the only ones I can recognize are Carl and Josette. And someone standing by Josette who appears to be Hugh Hefner.

I thought I spotted some more,
Paul Stoddard: (2nd to right)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ho5bpIbD1rpbqpfo1_1280.jpg

Dave Woodard & Jason McGuire:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ho5bpIbD1rpbqpfo2_1280.jpg

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Caught the Paul Stoddard but the other two eluded me. Thanks for pointing them out.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Looking at these panels people have posted, all the "dark shadows" do seem to be located in the cavernous wrinkles on Barnabas' face.  Ugly as hell...
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
It looks as if the artist (I use the term loosely) used photos of the octogenarian Jonathan Frid as the basis for his drawings of Barnabas in this one.

Hope they get a better artist for the Vampi book but I'm not holding my breath.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i'm on the fence with paul stoddard but that's definitely woodard and mcquire...

i guess because gerringer and patrick are deceased they could use their likenesses without paying a royalty? [ghost_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline verusselle

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
The one just to the left of Woodard reminds me of Clarice Blackburn, perhaps as Abigail.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows Number 6 is being released in comic shops tomorrow, July 25.