Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42032 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Mine has been sitting at the comic shop for a week!  I haven't been able to bring myself to go down and get it.  I will pick it up tomorrow.  Since all of you guys hate it, I hope that the one they got in for me has the Francavilla cover...  If not, I'm going to be disappointed that I have to shell out the four bucks.  I'd pay four bucks for the Francavilla cover alone.  So let's hope.  And let's hope that the next few issues improve! 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Interesting comparison, michael.  I think you may have a point.

I am lol at your use of the Salem Branch.  hee hee!

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
not that i actually care about these enough to try and square them with series continuity but...

[spoiler]after 1897 wasn't quentin no longer in the werewolf state?[/spoiler] [snow_sick2]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
[spoiler]Technically he was still a werewolf, but the portrait took the change instead of him. That's why (in the Leviathan episodes) Julia was in such a panic when she went to his hotel room the morning after a full moon and found it trashed and he was missing. If something were to happen to the portrait he'd be at the mercy of the curse again.[/spoiler]

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
[spoiler] Yes, Quentin's 'Dorian Gray' portrait drained his werewolf curse from him, and also gave him eternal youth and immortality, allowing him to show up in 1970.  Yet in the comic he is a talking werewolf who is still youthful and described as immortal, so it is completely inconsistent with how things worked on the show.  [/spoiler]
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Just read the new issue.

How... did... this... happen?

[snow_strange]

There was no evidence in 1, 2, or 3 that the last issue would have such a sharp decline in quality.  Did they just jump the shark?  The art...  The writing... 

When Barnabas actually looks good (which is rare), he looks like Peter Falk...  And, for the majority of the time, when he looks terrible, he is like some ugly caricature of some very ugly person. 

And then we have the art of Quentin and Barnabas during their battles...  How did this happen?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
sigh.

G.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
I was warned by someone in the comics biz that Dynamite cares more about cashing in on vintage brand names than about top quality product.  Not sure how true that is, but based on the latest issue I don't doubt it. The art is rancid, and I have to imagine (since he knows better) that Stuart is being given these questionable plot points by the powers that be at Dynamite. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I was warned by someone in the comics biz that Dynamite cares more about cashing in on vintage brand names than about top quality product.  Not sure how true that is, but based on the latest issue I don't doubt it. The art is rancid, and I have to imagine (since he knows better) that Stuart is being given these questionable plot points by the powers that be at Dynamite.

I agree.  Stuart's work on the first was exceptional.  And nothing about the second or third gave any indication that the whole thing would end up like it did.  Although I didn't like the second issue in comparison to the first, it is phenomenal when pitted against this latest addition.  Like I said, I have no idea what happened, but if the rest of the series is going to be anything like this last issue, I'll probably throw in the towel on these - unless I really like the cover of a particular issue. 

Number 5 has Stuart writing it, but there is a new artist.  Then number 6 has a new author...  Then the next issue maintains the new author but gets a new artist?  I am so confused... 

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
My reaction to the latest issue has been a mix of WTF & So that's it?!, but I still have the next 4 issues preordered, so I guess I'll see how it goes.

And... the cover art & description for issue 9 is now up at TFAW:
http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Dark-Shadows-9___404652

Covers: Francesco Francavilla Writer: Mike Raicht Artist: Guiu Vilanova The Children arc ends here! Who is the man known as Lockwood and what does he mean to Barnabas Collins? What about this mysterious man is forcing Barnabas to come face to face with the sins of his vampire nature? Will Barnabas be able to bury those sins for all eternity or will he, and his family, be consumed by his past once again?

So, this new story arc lasts 6 issues.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
So, this new story arc lasts 6 issues.

#5 through #9, 5 issues.  [snow_wink]

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Know what's bad? I remember counting the issues (likely using my fingers, no doubt), getting the total, noting it was one more than the previous story arc, and then I type 6.

[snow_huh]

My brain & my typing fingers never seem to be working together.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Totally understandable, Sara Monster (no pun intended).  Thanks for the link!

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just saw the reprint of the first four issues as part of a DS promotion at Barnes and Noble. I am somewhat surprised that it came out so promptly, given the erratic scheduling of the regular book. It's reasonably priced, $16.99. There are reproductions of the bonus covers and some extras from Aaron Campbell. Nothing from Stuart though.

Seeing all four issues together is quite interesting. #4 is nowhere near as good as the others. The art is off, way, way off. My guess is that Dynamite wanted the story finished so this collection could be out to benefit from buzz about the movie. It just seems like editorial interference to me.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Well Dynamite made a huge mistake, because that issue turned me off so much that I don't want to buy anymore.  In fact, I am waiting to hear other people's ideas on the next one before I even consider picking it up.  Issue 4 was nothing short of a slap in the face to the people dedicated enough to have bought 1 through 3, which varied from decent to terrific.