Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42035 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Sara Monster, congrats on your win!  Free stuff is always good.

What comprises a 3-issue set of DS #1?

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Oh, thank you Midnite!  [hall2_smiley]

It's suppose to be the standard and two variant covers of the issue.
But I'll won't believe I actually won anything until I see it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
OMG, Sara - I just read the image in your SIG! I love it!  [lghy]

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Ah, thanks!  [hall2_grin]

Have you ever seen any of my other 'Bingee Shadows'?
http://www.collinsport.sarawebsite.com/misc/blingeeshadows.html

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
My local comic store's e-newsletter does not have DS listed in this week's (meaning today's) expected shipment.  So I won't bother to cruise in until someone can say when DS #2 comes out.

And Sara, your Blingee creations are fantastic!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I really enjoyed the first issue and anxiously await the other new one.  I love the storyline. I love that they are using a bit of storylines that may have been presented on the show.  :)  It is so great to see all this DS stuff coming to fruition!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
Midnite, me foine lassy -- my comic shop provider informed me that #2 is expected on December 21st!
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Wow.  I wonder whether we can expect each issue to be spaced 7 to 8 weeks apart?

Thanks, Nicky!

G.

RachelDrummand

@Saramonster - I LOVED the one you did of Barnabas with the Muppets. That was great!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
my comic shop provider informed me that #2 is expected on December 21st!

Thank you, baby!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I wonder whether we can expect each issue to be spaced 7 to 8 weeks apart?

If so, as I joked the other day, that would take the release of issue #5 into summer. And here I thought I was only joking at the time.  [santa_undecided]

Thanks also, Nicky!

And, Sara, I did finally get the chance to check out the first 5 pages of your other Bingee Shadows, and I'm still laughing over Stokes in a sombrero, Julia thinking about her relationship with Barn as that of Twilight's Edward and Bella (as if), Josette as played by Farrah Fawcett, Willie's warning to Quentin, and Julia as Catwoman!  [santa_grin]  I'll definitely have to check out the rest when I get a chance.  [santa_wink]

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I finally got a copy of issue #1 today, and definitely found it interesting. [spoiler] The way Angelique was presented (as the floating banshee), in my opinion is absolutely 1991; I heard Lysette Anthony's French accent reading those lines, not Lara Parker at all.  Actually, I hated that part of the 1991 series, primarily because her lips didn't move, she was just floating there with her voice in the background.  Anyway I also felt that her apparent control of Julia at the end was very reminicent of the 1991 plot.  I know many fans always imagined this sort of Angelique coming back, but after they spent so much time in 1897, leviathins, and then 1840 humanizing her, it just feels strange to me.  And so different, for example, to the dream Angelique made Barnabas have to warn him about the dream curse, which created horror through dialogue.  

I like Michael's idea about Laura making a return.   Maybe she was the one who attacked Carolyn, ala 1897 when she needed to absorb people's energy to stay alive.   Then again, the idea of another vampire sort of reminds me of in 1968 when Nicholas cast a spell to make Barnabas (and Julia) think that he was the one attacking people when in fact it was Tom Jennings.   [/spoiler]
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Interesting points, bat.

[spoiler]The "floating Angelique" motif actually reminded *me* of Joe Certa and Gold Key comics... this floating, cachinnating apparition of Angelique featured in several of those mags.  When I finally got to see the 1991 episodes in which use was made of this motif, it seemed more like an echo of the Gold Key books even though a hovering, gloating phantasm of Angelique was seen a couple of times in 1795.[/spoiler]

It's odd to think of the Gold Key books having such persistent influence... but then again, until we heard from a fan of those comics earlier on here, I was completely unaware that the Gold Key comics had their own very loyal and dedicated fandom.  Perhaps some of those fans wrote letters to Dan Curtis and he turned to some of the comics when preparing the 1991 series...

G.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
You may be right, Gothick.  We know Dan Curtis did make a concious effort to recreate a lot of imagery from past incarnations of DS for 1991, so he may have used the gold key series as an inspiration for that motif.   I guess the ghost of Angelique in NODS did a bit of flying around too, but not the same as we see here. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So, is anyone taking bets that issue #2 will actually come out tomorrow? As of yet I haven't received an e-mail to say that my issue shipped - and last time around I had heard by this time. And my credit card hasn't been charged yet. But there is still time for both of those things to happen...