Author Topic: (*PAGE EXAMPLES - reply #31*) "Dark Shadows" Returns in October (in new comic form)  (Read 42084 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This has examples of actual pages from the comics (be sure to click on them to see larger versions): Stuart Manning and Aaron Campbell Bring Dark Shadows Back to Life

Love the artwork! If I wasn't already looking forward to getting my hands on an issue, these examples of pages would have certainly gotten me there. Now I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on an issue!  [hall2_wink]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i'm not a comic person at all but these look great. i might have to pick them up...

interesting that they pick up in 1971 after the series ended. with maggie gone i guess david will not have a governess in these stories(unless daphne shows up)?

fashionwise i see julia is continuing with the growing out of her hair that started in 1970. the hemlines look longer as would be fitting as the 1970's progressed. nice to see that, in the name on continuity and character habit, liz is wearing her jacket over the shoulders as she so frequently did on the series. and the needlepoint is a nice touch.

looks great. [hall_smiley]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Julia's hair looks a lot like where it began in 1967... This is exciting!   I'm glad I reserved a copy at my local comics shop!

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
interesting that they pick up in 1971 after the series ended. with maggie gone i guess david will not have a governess in these stories(unless daphne shows up)?
[spoiler]
How do we know Maggie's gone?  She didn't die.  Since the events of the past were all changed, she probably never went to Windcliff, and she could still be governess. [/spoiler]   And who believes that whole epilogue written by Sam Hall?  [hall_grin] [spoiler] She and Sebastian are worse than Vicki and Jeff Clark.   [hall_rolleyes][/spoiler]

I don't think the comics have to stick to the lives of the original actors or Sam Hall's write-up, which is a plus!  So, we could even have Vicki return!  

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Kate Jackson's Tracy character was supposed to arrive at Collinwood sometime during this period.  Presumably she would be a tutor for David rather than a governess.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
CB...

if you look at the panels from the comics liz is telling julia that david has been disturbed "since maggie and hallie" have gone.

so obviously it's a part of the comic book plot. to say nothing of the character's departure several months before the series itself ended.

but you're right in that in this series of stories she certainly could come back to collinwood. perhaps that's even part of the story. or even vicki could come crawling out of the woodwork as you say. in the DS universe no one stays dead and anything is possible as we all know.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
See, that is what I get for not waiting to read any of it until I get my books in hand!   [hall_embarrassed]  I just looked at the art, but didn't read the text, in case there was some big spoiler in there.  I take it that there isn't.   [baticon]

I have pre-ordered all of them from a local comic store, and am anxious to start reading.  I do hope that a governess makes her way to Collinwood, whether she be Maggie or Vicki or Daphne (Tracy).  Heck, I'd love to see all three, as I have a fond appreciation for each. 

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Thanks abunch for the picture links! Loving the artwork, hope the story will be just as good.
I guess it's about a week until the official release date. Hopefully the ones being mailed out will arrive soon afterwards.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Strangely, I didn't receive a Google Alert for this until tonight even though it's been posted since the 21st. But better late than never.  [hall2_wink]

First Look: Dark Shadows #4

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I hope I get the call from the comic shop this week...

I couldn't wait any longer and decided to read the first bit online.  It looks very interesting.  I think I am most interested in learning about where Quentin fits into all of this...  Being since he is the only one outside of the original family in this story who doesn't have a clearly defined role (a la Dr. Hoffman and Barnabas). 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Not only does issue #1 of the DS comic make his most anticipated of the week, it makes his most anticipated of the year:

The GoD List: Comics For November 2, 2011

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Got Number 1 - Unfortunately, I didn't get the right cover.   [hall2_undecided]  I guess I will have to order another online.

The art is great.  The story is intriguing. The whole feel of the comic takes the reader back to 1971.  It's just like watching a new episode.  They have really outdone themselves in terms of recreating the feel of the show. I'll be interested in seeing what happens next.  I was really hoping that we would get into some of the characters more than we did.  I feel that Issue 1 has set up A LOT of plots but doesn't really follow through on any of them except for two.  It picks up right about where you'd expect it would with the original series...  and should actually make a lot of fans of the '91 series very happy...

I have included some spoilers below with some of my thoughts and questions.  (These spoilers discuss elements from the Revival series of the show as well.)

[spoiler]The Angelique plot is interesting.  Wasn't really expecting a statue in the woods to encompass the spirit of Angelique nor was I expecting the throwback to the possession of Julia plot from 1991.  I'm not really that big of a fan of bringing Angelique into this so soon.  I feel they should have waited a few issues, and introduced the reader to the present Collins family before introducing us to this character. 

I was not expecting that Barnabas and Carolyn would get back together either.  It's good that they are finally finishing that story, though.

Like I said, this is going to make fans of the Revival very happy, as it picks up about where that show left off as well in terms of Carolyn and Julia... 

I want to know what is going on with the characters of David and Quentin.  They are only mentioned.
[/spoiler]