Author Topic: DS Redux: Your Vision?  (Read 28893 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: DS Redux: Your Vision?
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2008, 08:06:06 AM »
Being disagreed with is a good thing.  It means you have a different point of view to contribute and life is all about very different points of view intersecting and combining, to me.   In actual practice, people's points of view just collide generally, but I'm trying to be positive right this moment.

For me, Ben Cross is just a publicity photo of a very vertical craggy face.  I think I saw episode one at the time but that's all.   I decided perhaps too quickly that the soul of JF just wasn't there.   "Elegance" isn't a quality I think about.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2008, 08:45:32 AM »
I know this is getting a bit off topic but why would one want an actor to have the SOUL of Jonathan Frid in said actors version of Barnabas?   [ghost_huh]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »
Ben Cross was, no offense meant, too short to play Barnabas.  My vision of Barnabas is a tall, 'imperially slim' (can't remember the name of the poem where I read that) man who exudes elegance but is also hauntingly lonely. I might have been swayed against Cross by his relationship with the comedic Willie in the 91 revival.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »
I know this is getting a bit off topic but why would one want an actor to have the SOUL of Jonathan Frid in said actors version of Barnabas?   [ghost_huh]

Not 'Frid's soul' specifically but as much 'soul' as Frid put into Barnabas.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »
IMHO Ben Cross just came across as a mean Barnabas, I never felt bad for the guy. Maybe if the show had last that would have changed, maybe it was going to go in a different direction, I don't know but that show we have had a mean Barnabas. But that just my opinion.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »
Again, it can all be traced back to DC, who in the '91 series wanted the dark/dangerous side of Barnabas emphasized over his sympathetic side. Thankfully it wasn't as blatant a dark/dangerous Barnabas as was in hoDS, which we have to recall was DC's template for Barnabas (the man is said to have screened hoDS numerous times in his office  [ghost_rolleyes]), but certainly a bit more dark than he was in the original series. DC firmly believed that the '91 series was, in DC's own words, his "opportunity to get it right." I definitely think the sympathetic side is there - but any discussion of that here is definitely getting OT.  [ghost_wink]

However, to get things back on topic, it will be very interesting to see how Barnabas' dark and sympathetic sides are balanced in the Depp/DS film. I could be wrong, but if the story ends up being a release from the coffin into a new century, as opposed to a story taking place in the past to depict the curse, I suspect the dark side of Barnabas will probably outweigh the sympathetic side - though certainly not to the degree of hoDS. Obviously they'll want Depp's Barn to be dark/dangerous, but they'll also want him to be appealing so that audiences will be brought into his story enough to want to know more about him and willing to invest in a franchise.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2008, 04:59:30 PM »
My vision of Barnabas is a tall, 'imperially slim' (can't remember the name of the poem where I read that) man who exudes elegance but is also hauntingly lonely.

It sounds like your mental image of Barnabas may have been influenced a great deal by the poem.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2008, 05:04:02 PM »
Ben Cross was, no offense meant, too short to play Barnabas.

I'm guessing you're not going to like Depp as Barn either because he's an inch shorter than Cross.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2008, 05:12:07 PM »
And Alec Newman is an inch shorter than Depp.  (I thought he made for a fabulous Barnabas, btw.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2008, 05:47:37 PM »
(As do I)

I'm really looking forward to see what Depp will do with Barn.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2008, 11:11:02 PM »
I am sure I would have loved Alec as well. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to see the pilot like most who have not been to the fest.  I hope they show it in 2009 because I will definitely be there.  As for height, in the immortal words of Victoria (AM) "I don't understand."  But again I am getting off topic....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2008, 05:17:30 AM »
I remember being startled when I met Jonathan Frid and realized he was my height.  And I am not a tall man.  Five foot eight inches.

And I agree with Magnus--the heart of a good performance as Barnabas is to let us (eventually) see into the depths of his soul.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2008, 05:30:44 AM »
I agree with Magnus on that as well. The height thing I DO NOT GET. However, I am gonna look for a place to rebuttal the rest of the comments as I am totally getting off topic again.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2008, 07:01:45 AM »
I remember being startled when I met Jonathan Frid and realized he was my height.  And I am not a tall man.  Five foot eight inches.

DS magazine articles from the late 60s (in Famous Monsters, TV Radio Talk, 16 Spec, etc.) listed Frid's height at 6'.  I've never heard of that much height loss in a man, so perhaps he wasn't standing as straight as you thought?

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2008, 07:44:36 PM »
I think it more likely the magazines exaggerated.

While living in NYC, I had the good fortune to attend Mr. Frid's free performances of his one-man-shows at the Public Library downtown.  I met him on at least six occasions.  He was always my height.  And his posture was admirable.

He also stood an inch or two (at least) above most of his co-stars in Arsenic and Old Lace on Broadway, which included Gary Sandy (of WKRP in Cinncinnatti).  I remember I had a similar reaction to meeting most of the cast at my first DS Festival in NYC, realizing they were (almost) all on the short side.  No wonder Barnabas seemed to tower over Angelique, Maggie, etc.