Author Topic: DS Redux: Your Vision?  (Read 28916 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DS Redux: Your Vision?
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »
my only real criticism would be that he tended to chew the scenery as much as he chew the ingenues' necks, especially when he had the contacts and the fangs in...

And again, who do you think we can thank for that - particularly all the snarling?  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_rolleyes]  And it's my one criticism of Cross' Barnabas, too. I've asked it dozens of times already, but WHAT was DC thinking?! Well, obviously the answer is he wanted Barnabas' animalistic nature to be depicted. But it was not a stylistic choice I would have made for him. And I hope to heaven it's not one that's repeated in the Depp/DS film...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »
And I was just getting all enthused about 1991 DS.... I'm still optimistic but weon't look for BC as my big protagonist to identify with.

Dan Curtis's big idea for the character of Barnabas was for him to show up in the community, be bad, and bite more and more people until he was caught and destroyed, right?  He held onto that, and when Barnabas became something else, he tried to "correct" things in HODS.   Then he tried to "correct" it again in 1991 DS.  As "visions" go, it doesn't really deserve all those second chances, does it?  Isn't it just the typical generic vampire tale?  I think that the thing that made Barnabas special was that he wasn't that generic vampire DC wanted.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2008, 05:09:10 PM »
DC gets credit for wanting to try something different in daytime television and pushing ahead with that.  That takes imagination and guts.  However, IMO, DC never understood why DS charmed so many people.  He had nothing do with the creation of Barnabas other than wanting a vampire on the show to create havoc and be killed off. The writers were the ones who took the vampire and developed the character.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
And I was just getting all enthused about 1991 DS.... I'm still optimistic but weon't look for BC as my big protagonist to identify with.

Dan Curtis's big idea for the character of Barnabas was for him to show up in the community, be bad, and bite more and more people until he was caught and destroyed, right?  He held onto that, and when Barnabas became something else, he tried to "correct" things in HODS.   Then he tried to "correct" it again in 1991 DS.  As "visions" go, it doesn't really deserve all those second chances, does it?  Isn't it just the typical generic vampire tale?  I think that the thing that made Barnabas special was that he wasn't that generic vampire DC wanted.

Well, the vision of Barnabas in the '91 series is a far cry from the vision of him in hoDS. A FAR cry! Infinitely more sympathetic. But that's not a discussion to be had in this topic. But keep an open mind, Magnus, because the differences will be blatantly apparent once the '91 series' Watching Project gets underway...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2008, 05:21:02 PM »
However, IMO, DC never understood why DS charmed so many people.

As longtime members of the forum know, I and others have often said that DS was more often successful in spite of DC, rather than because of him. And that's the reason I posted earlier in this topic about how honestly relieved I am that DC will have no involvement with the Depp/DS film.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »
A few thoughts about Depp (since I'm always inclined to add my thoughts about Depp  [ghost_wink] )  He's between 5'9" and 5'10" and casting calls for stand-ins usually ask for someone 5'9".  I met him in person once and he does not seem short but he is small-boned and doesn't have a very imposing presence.  I think that it's part of his personality that he is very laid-back and even shy in person. However, when he takes on a character, he can transform into anything that is required of him, and I fully believe that he'll be able to have a VERY imposing presence as Barnabas.  He's just not going to be particularly tall :)  But check out Sweeney Todd or the end of The Astronaut's Wife (terrible movie, but great scene at the end) if you want convincing evidence that Johnny can be a real baddie.  And obviously, no problem with him playing the sympathetic card, as well.

As far as homoeroticism, I don't know what the script would entail, but I have no doubt that Johnny would have no problem biting a man's neck and making it look sexy.  He's cool that way!  And I'm a straight woman but I would definitely not mind such a scene!

Cathy

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »
I've now realized I spoke too soon about Ben Cross having been "animalistic"... That's Barnabas at his worst, of course, when he first arrives, and we're not supposed to like him.   I love the hints we get in original DS of the more complicated man that's still there in 1967, but I shouldn't expect his attacks to be subtle or anything.

I guess I'm keeping us OT... done now.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »
Again, returning to the idea of a new DS, rather than the movie per se...

Methinks most DS fans are also fans of vampire stories in general.  At least that has been my experience.  But a new DS--on cable or broadcast t.v.--might well have a lot of fun with a female reluctant vampire rather than a male one.  In the original show, we of course had Angelique--and she was brilliant at being an evil vampire, a selfish creature full of passion but little pity, yet strangely vulnerable at times.

[spoiler]Along those lines, one of my favorite moments was when Barnabas was summoned to "take care" of Joe Haskell, and he reacted with indignant jealousy.  The shock, and even some guilt, on Angelique's face stayed with me for decades.[/spoiler]

But what about a woman vampire who was genuinely reluctant, torn between unconquerable desires and the person she would wish to be?  Suppose, for example, Josette  had ended up a vampire?  Or Rachel Drummond? (Okay, I suspect she'd've been a hellcat--ya gotta watch out for the quiet ones)  Or Pansy Faye?  She was arguably the nicest strong female we ever met on the show.  Or for that matter, what about Alexis Stokes?  She seemed like a quite nice person in almost every way.  Can you imagine how such a woman might deal with being a vampire?

Imagine for a moment Pansy Faye trying desperately to avoid Quentin or Carl as she feels the bloodlust rise.  Or Josette turning Nathan Forbes into her slave just to get him away from Millicent.  Or suppose Alexis were gay (hey maybe--why not?) and could not help herself from biting Maggie or Carolyn?

I'm not saying those are storylines I'd want to see (well, yes I would but that isn't what I'm suggesting), but those are a template for the kind of story I'd like to see.  One aspect of Barnabas that came across crystal clear was that he was so very masculine, in an 18th century sort of way.  Among other things, he could be extremely gallant yet almost too stiffnecked and arrogant for words.  How might the dynamic of a reluctant vampire be different with a woman, rather than a man?  Hmmmmmm?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2008, 09:13:08 PM »
As far as homoeroticism, I don't know what the script would entail, but I have no doubt that Johnny would have no problem biting a man's neck and making it look sexy.  He's cool that way!  And I'm a straight woman but I would definitely not mind such a scene!

I doubt he would either.  Jack Sparrow acts like a big eye lining queen!!  Disney was actually scared of letting Johnny proceed in that direction.  Johnny also said (and this is not verbatim) with enough rum that Jack would most likely swing the other way.  ALSO I am a gay male, but have several girlfriends who think a male being bitten by another male is sexy!  I think that is cool.

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2008, 02:50:21 PM »
Continuing the vampire man on man meme.... 

Apropos of nothing at all, I noticed that (while the act is not shown) we see bleeding fang marks on Sandor's neck when I was first watching 1897.  Remembering that Barn had bit Willie on the wrist, I couldn't help thinking at the time "so, he likes 'em big and swarthy...."  [ghost_cheesy]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2008, 12:35:03 AM »
Apropos of nothing at all, I noticed that (while the act is not shown) we see bleeding fang marks on Sandor's neck when I was first watching 1897.  Remembering that Barn had bit Willie on the wrist, I couldn't help thinking at the time "so, he likes 'em big and swarthy...."  [ghost_cheesy]
I love that last part! [lol2]

I might be wrong, but...
[spoiler]...when Barnabas "wills himself" back to 1795/6 to save Victoria #3 from being hanged, and he bites Forbes to get him to confess about lying under oath... don't we see marks on his (Forbes) neck? As with Sandor, the act is not shown, but seems to me they showed the marks on Nathan's neck afterwards. Or maybe I made it up...?[/spoiler]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2008, 03:29:26 AM »
I think that it is VERY possible that Barnabas might bite a male and that it be erotically portrayed in the film, given that we have Burton directing (he's afraid of nothing), Depp starring (he's afraid of nothing and nothing's brother), and we have John August writing, who is a gay man and undoubtedly would have no problem writing it into the script if it served the story.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2008, 04:27:41 AM »
Depp starring (he's afraid of nothing and nothing's brother)

ROFLMAO!  That was extremely funny Brandon!! Thanks for the laugh.  And thanks for the insight on the writer.  I didn't know he was family!  [ghost_wink]

Maybe I should explain what I meant about male on male bite.  Yes he bite Sandor, but was that sexy? NO!  EWW! IMHO. I am not sure about how he bit Willie since I haven't watched the early eps yet.  I am working on them though.  I am still on Volume 3 of The Collectors series so I have a while to go.  And yes 1991 Barney bit MUSCLES but it wasn't erotic.  I would like to see an erotic male on male bite.  For example.  On Buffy in Season 7 Spike [spoiler]bites a male and Spike's looks as he is being fulfilled (Uh huhmmm) as much as when bites a female.  In fact he seems to relish in it.[/spoiler] In the 1991 comic series there is a scene where Barney is seriously enjoying himself while biting a male, and it is very HOT to say the least.

I am sorry for getting this topic completely off.  But it seems as if I am not the only one who would like to see this!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »
This is me thinking that if they a DS Next Gen series was done, a storyline I would love to see is someone finding Quentin's portrait (an enemy/villain, perhaps) and destroying or damaging it, necessitating a rapidly aging Quentin to return to Collinsport.  Of course the damage would be halted, the villain stopped, but not soon enough to reverse the partial ravages of age.  David Selby (should he be interested) could remain on the show or a as a recurring guest star....
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »
I'm personally greenlighting that idea, Nelson!   Good one!