Author Topic: DS Redux: Your Vision?  (Read 28918 times)

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
Re: DS Redux: Your Vision?
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2008, 10:48:27 PM »
I also agree with many of you. The original telling of Dark Shadows shouldn't be done. I also believe as someone adhered to, the spirit of the characters should be consistant with the original characters or it would probably flop.  [ghost_smiley]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2008, 11:11:40 PM »
Let us say that (for example) David's daughter Nina hasn't been heard of since she dropped out of college a couple of years back.
Wasn't Nina the name of the woman who became a werewolf and dated Angel in Season Five of that series?  [ghost_wink]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2008, 11:40:41 PM »
Nelson, I really like the Burning (Wo)Man story proposal you posted. It would definitely be a great way to bring Laura back into the series to wreak havoc on those at Collinwood. Not to mention that the festival itself would be a great setting for 2-4 episodes at any point during the season because it would cause major drama within the family and in the town. It could be something else for the town to ban together against the Collins family for.

And yes, Nina was the name of the werewolf in Angel Season 5.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2008, 08:17:23 AM »
I had actually forgotten that character's name.   [ghost_embarrassed]  How about Michelle instead?

Magnus, does it make it better if we call him "Drake" instead?

Mind you, there comes a time when we're bound to use names that have been used before by somebody in some story or other that many of us like.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2008, 10:09:08 AM »
Magnus, does it make it better if we call him "Drake" instead?

Now you've got me thinking about Patrick McGoohan in Danger Man!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »
RE: Names for Nina/Michelle's BF

You could possibly go a bit self-referencial:  Lon?  Michael (after Michael "I was a Teenage Werewolf" Landon)? Michael also fits for Michael J. "Teen Wolf" Fox.  However, be prepared for comparisons to Teen Wolf, in which Fox has complete control over his changes for comic effect....

OTOH, you also have the Lychans in the Underworld films who also have control over their changes.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2008, 06:09:32 PM »
Okay, David's werewolf daughter is named Michelle Collins.

Her werewolf once-and-future boyfriend is named Ian Beauregard.

Hmmmm...just thought of something.  What happens if a vampire bites a werewolf?  Does the werewolf become enslaved, but only in their human form?  Or the reverse?  Perhaps some odd blend of the two depending on circumstances.  Hmmmmm...

What would make for the best story?

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »
Welll, to be frank, I was not happy with Underworld.  The "elite" vampire class vs. the "lower class" werewolf class was so so, [spoiler]but the prophecy of a hybrid between the two classes ending the conflict was just well a bit meh for me.[/spoiler]  In fact, I was so underwhelmed I have yet to bother to seek out the straight to dvd sequel, Underworld Revolution.

I don't say [spoiler]a DS Vampire/Werewolf mix[/spoiler] won't work, just that it's been done rather recently.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »
What would make for the best story?
Most werewolf stories highlight the essential nature of the creature: wild, animalistic.  While many vampires are sleek and urbane and sophisticated, the werewolf has always seemed to be the more average joe of the supernatural world, a regular guy (Wolf Man, American Ww in London, Oz in Buffy) or even lower class servants a la the Lycans in Underworld.  How about we turn that idea on its head?

There was a miniseries in the late 80s starring C Thomas Howell called The Kindred, in which IIRC the vampires were cast as Mafia-like "families."  There were hierarchies and powerful and weak families and feuds, etc.  The patriarch of the ruling family, I see in the mold of Nicholas Blair.

I'd like to see a new DS take that concept use werewolves instead, and include a pack of werewolf motorcycle toughs a la "The Lost Boys" whose leader of the pack (see what I did there?  [ghost_wink] ), old and gray now, is one Buzz Hackett, who was attacked by Chris Jennings in the 70s, (off screen of course) but survived and because of his wounds was air lifted to a hospital in Boston, where he stayed when he recovered.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2008, 01:57:54 PM »
NelsonCollins: I really like your idea of a 'Laura' raising from the ashes...  I would like to change one thing however, instead of David having a son, I'd like to see him have 3 daughters.  The youngest daughter would be 7, then an 11 year old and finally the oldest being 15...David is extremely protective of the girls, especially since the mother died giving birth to the youngest daughter...the youngest daughter however is the key..
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
I would like to see at least one of David's children start becoming half Phoneix! I always thought this would have been a perfect story on DS and frankly if it had lasted it would have been great for David Collins.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »
Especially, since not only is mother but his great-grandmother is same woman/phoenix!  [ghost_tongue2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »
I didn't realize the above post was my 666 TH [frkoff] [fangs] post. EWW!!!! SCARRY!!!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »
I would personally prefer that David's children be older than that, at least most of them.  Given that David should be well into his fifties by now, perhaps Laura might go after David's widowed son?  Meanwhile, a daughter showing Phoenix-like tendencies (great idea, btw) should probably be at an age where she's dating--into her teens.

JMHO

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2008, 09:20:15 PM »
I think it would also be cool to update the Collinsport Inn/Restaurant and make it a cool coffee shop.  I am not for sure if I would want it to be a hotel/coffee shop though.  I am still trying to decide.  This isn't really character related but I got the idea watching The Beginning DVDS.  I really enjoy the action at the Collinsport Inn/Restaurant and wish it had been used more in latter part of the show.