Author Topic: DS Redux: Your Vision?  (Read 28905 times)

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: DS Redux: Your Vision?
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2008, 03:25:59 AM »
That actually brings up all sorts of interesting possibilities.  Collinwood, the Old House, the House-By-The-Sea, the Evans Cottage, the Blue Whale, Rose Cottage and the Mausoleum, as well as Wyndcliff.  All these were established in the OS, but what about other locales in and around Collinsport?

Clearly there was some kind of local college, which over forty years might have grown into something a bit more impressive.  Of course there was a hospital--and one wonders what its records might reveal?  I seem to recall mention of a lighthouse once.  Mind you, if there wasn't one Collinsport certainly should have one!  Haunted, preferably, at the very least by memories of some terrible event who-knows-when.

We have Widow's Hill and Eagle Hill.  Surely there were more than two!

For that matter, might there be something mysterious/preternatural about some other family in town?

What about the surrounding towns?  Bangor isn't too far, and neither is Frenchman's Bay.  Any others?

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »
As I recall there is a lighthouse that has an exit into some underground caverns where I think [spoiler]Angelique and Dr Hoffman nursed Barnabas back to health at one point.  There was the Graham Rest Home where Sabrina stayed when her hair turned white overnite.[/spoiler] Also, there was Cyrus Longworth's laboratory located I believe in a very seedy section of town. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »
I always thought Cyrus's lab was in the basement of some familiar house on the Collins estate, maybe the carriage house.  Cyrus was the family doctor, sort of, and I think Q wanted him close by.  Cyrus always seemed to get over to Collinwood in a flash when needed.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
Zahir,

In the early OS, there was another town near Collinsport called Logansport where Burke was trying to purchase a competing cannery, if I'm not mistaken.  I've often wondered if a new series might include the Logansport and Logan family as a rival fishing empire - maybe even a Romeo/Juliet love story between the two families.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2008, 10:05:59 PM »
I am familiar with that town since I am watching the early episodes. What a fabulous idea Nelson!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »
I don't recall Cyrus's lab being on the Collins estate.  I got the feeling it was in the basement of perhaps a storefront type building perhaps in the vicinity of The Eagle bar. I also think it was fairly close to Buffy's apartment.

Prof Stokes lived in Rockport.  Another idea is Angelique and Sky Rumson's island which was about 50 miles offshore from Collinsort.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2008, 07:34:52 PM »
So we have Rockport, Frenchman's Bay, Logansport (Nelson--such a cool idea!), the island where Sky Rumson lived and of course St. Eustace Island from HODS.

Gotta wonder what kind of deep, dark secrets the Logans might have...?   [ghost_cool]

Heh heh--wouldn't it be cool if Michelle Collins (David's werewolf daughter) was the one who falls for a Logan?  Can't you see the other Logans insisting there is something dark and horrible about the Collins family, telling (lets see, what is a good name?  How about Steve?) Steve Logan to stay away from Michelle, but he refuses.  Then of course Ian Beauregard, the other werewolf, shows up as well.  And voila--a supernatural triangle!

C'mon, any DS needs at least one of those!   [ghost_smiley]

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »
I would love to see a modern day Trask family in a DS redeux.  I've always thought of the Trasks as the thorns in the sides of the Collins family members. I can picture a contemporary Rev. Trask as the head of a cult-like congregation. Trask would convince his followers that Collinwood is a place of eviil and its inhabitants must be punished. This version of Trask could also go on a mission to "clean up" Collinsport and try to shut the Blue Whale down or harrass the "working girls" on the waterfront. Rev. Trask could have a haughty wife who wants to bring "family values" to Collinsport but it is revealed she is having an affair with some guy on the side. There could also be some socially maladjusted Trask children.

Also, I can imagine a really first-rate antiquarian bookshop in Collinsport. It's a family-owned and operated business and they have been booksellers to the Collins family for generations. They have also supplied the Collins family with many "specialized" volumes - books on witchcraft, black magic, the supernatural, etc. The business would be valued by the Collins family for being discreet.

Finally, I want to see what Collinsport is like on Halloween night. Are the villagers in such mortal danger that they remain home behind locked doors? Do tricker or treaters find themselves terrorized by a bevy of evil spirits roaming the countryside on that particular night? Is Collinwood decorated?

Maybe nothing happens on the night. On BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, all the "big and little bads" took the night off and left Halloween to the "amateurs"! Maybe Collinsport is "evil-free" on that night and Halloween is celebrated in full force. Maybe the town, trading on its spooky image, hosts a big Halloween bash that attracts tourists. There would be graveyard tours and field trips to Widow's Hill.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »
A modern day Trask family could be fun.  As I was reading your post Markyboo, I suddenly thought how Trask-like the Minister on Carnivale was and what a modern day Trask might do if he suddenly discovered he had some kind of supernatural powers!

Alternatively, it might be interesting to have a genuinely pious and humble Trask to have around, doing really good works around collinsport.  The clergy often gets a bad rep on DS  [hall2_wink] but then we only have the various branches of the Trask family to go by.  IIRC, on the original series, if you weren't a Trask, you were a jumped up extra, there to perfom wedding ceremony!  [hall2_grin]

We might also tie the family name of Trask (of various time periods) to the modern day Petersons perhaps?  [hall2_tongue]

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm in favor of bringing in the Trasks and have them prove something other than a bunch of right b*st*rds.  Perhaps a daughter of that family has married one of the Logans and is among those trying to quell any sense of the feud between them and the Collins clan.

This also brings up another interesting thought.  Presuming for a moment that a modern Reverend Trask exists and is a much nicer person than many of his ancestors--a low bar to be sure--might this be the way to introduce a vampire?  What about Reverend Lysander Trask, an idealistic fellow who one night comes across a young woman weeping and terrified in the woods.  She can barely remember her name, Belle, but she seems terribly ill and terrified of someone or something.  He hides her, and only slowly discovers her secret.  Belle is a vampire, recently turned, and struggling desperately with theses strange desires she feels.  Reverend Trask, half-way in love with her by now, resolves to somehow lift the curse from this girl.

Might be a nice twist, that.   [hall2_cheesy]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2008, 02:04:44 PM »
Inspired by Magnus Trask in another thread, I think we ought to include the Juggins family in a DS Redux.  They can be the household staff at Collinwood (Husband, wife, daughter, son?) and in a shameless swipe of the film Sabrina, the daughter's name is, um, Sabrina!  She's teenaged, but not a witch (or is she??)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2008, 03:37:16 PM »
And everybody's always rolling their eyes and saying what a dummy Mr. Juggins is!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2008, 03:05:10 AM »
And everybody's always rolling their eyes and saying what a dummy Mr. Juggins is!

I heard a trumpet in my head going "waah waah WAAAHHH..." !!

We have the creepy emoticons back!!!!

[skelleton_runs] [skelleton_runs] [skelleton_runs] [candle_in_skull_2]

On another DS board, there's a sort of banter I did for awhile with someone there, where she was Charipansy and I was the unknown nicer Trask brother Magnus who didn't like Dad at all who thinks his sister Charity got more sane thanks to the Count.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2008, 05:04:34 AM »

Only some. There are many more to come...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2008, 07:36:56 AM »

Only some. There are many more to come...

Well, I wasn't going to say, but I did miss the ones that were gone, or rather not here yet apparently...  I have so few joys in my life!   Goofy creepy skulls really do it for me, I guess!

[candle_in_skull_2]