Author Topic: DS 1991 30th anniversary  (Read 5771 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DS 1991 30th anniversary
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2021, 03:17:23 AM »
It is rather apparent that, in NoDS, Lara Parker got some help from the props department as she wasn't, shall we say, rather bodacious on the series.  It's easily confirmed by the scene in "Race With the Devil" where she is swimming with Loretta Swit dressed in a bikini.  While suitably blessed by nature, she certainly wasn't - um - Dolly Parton.

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2021, 04:54:54 AM »
Well, at least there was enough money in the budget to provide Lara with underwear. Poor Nancy Barrett had to go without skivvies as vampire Carolyn in HODS.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2021, 12:50:12 AM »
But when it comes to DS movies, NoDS sctually had a lot more than the 2012 version did - especially the R-rated version...

I remember more breast grabbing (clothed), more thigh touching (again, clothed) and more tongue. Was there anything else that I'm forgetting (on the sex--not violence--side)?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2021, 02:54:07 AM »
 [pointing-up]  There was definitely more to the tower room encounter between Angelique and Charles before Gabriel & Co. rudely interrupted them...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2021, 03:00:00 AM »
Ep #8's preview of Ep #9:

Look forward to a few different style of promos leading up to the show's March 1st return...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2021, 06:52:00 PM »
And today's is another must quote:

Ep #1 - Sarah: 'You must stop, Barnabas.'

I don't know how I could have forgotten about that one...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2021, 11:48:01 PM »
We're getting close to "Shadow Time" helping to block out the Toxic Roaches (not to be confused with the Barking Spiders)...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2021, 03:00:00 AM »
One thing that's not in dispute is that the '91 Series had good demos. Though one thing that might be in dispute is which gender the audience was more comprised of. I've read that more men watched the show than women and how that surprised NBC. But I've also read that the show had the most men as well as the most women who were watching TV on Friday nights. Perhaps both could actually be true depending on which week's demos and how those demos were analyzed. But one thing that's not up to debate is that prior to airing Ep #9 (Hour 10) NBC decided to begin an ad campaign to reach out to women. Apparently this was also because the initial ad campaign mostly emphasized the vampire/horror aspects of the show and not the romance. NBC suddenly realized that if they focused on romance perhaps they could attract more women or even more women, depending on which demo analysis one wants to go with. Hence the "Shadow Time" ad campaign was born and the first promo of that campaign aired on February 25th:

Look forward to a few different promos in this campaign...

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2021, 07:32:38 PM »
Love all the ads you've been posting, MB! These are a blast from the past, particularly since I am from New Beige so even the station IDs are nostalgic. lol. I recorded a bunch too, and have a VHS somewhere. I distinctly remember one that a woman singing, "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth". The camera then goes in for a closeup on Barnabas' mouth and (of course) he bares his fangs. lol. You might have posted it earlier in the thread. I'll need to go through and watch all of them.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2021, 12:56:09 AM »
Love all the ads you've been posting, MB!

I'm so glad you've been enjoying them. I've definitely been enjoying sharing them.

These are a blast from the past, particularly since I am from New Beige so even the station IDs are nostalgic. lol.

(Seeing snippets from 1991 of some of the WJAR staff has been wild - they look so young - but then we've all aged 30 years...)

I recorded a bunch too, and have a VHS somewhere. I distinctly remember one that a woman singing, "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth". The camera then goes in for a closeup on Barnabas' mouth and (of course) he bares his fangs. lol. You might have posted it earlier in the thread. I'll need to go through and watch all of them.

I hadn't posted that one this time around. I did post it back in 2008 when we were doing the Watching Project for the '91 Series but it was in a format that's no longer supported. One of the reasons I've been posting the promos/previews/recaps that I have is because the versions I'd previously posted are no longer watchable. And with that in mind here is that promo that first ran on December 22nd:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2021, 03:00:00 AM »
Here's the second "Shadow Time" promo, having aired on February 26th:

Look forward to two more promos in this campaign...

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2021, 06:35:06 PM »
Haha! Yep, that's the one! Thanks for posting that one, and all of the others too, MB!
In more local memories, I remember there was a protest in front of New Bedford City Hall after it was announced that the show was going to be canceled. I'm not sure who organized that, but I believe I found out about it via one of the local radio stations (FUN 107, I think).  It's funny thinking back on it. I get the idea behind holding DS protests in major cities, and especially in front of NBC studios, but I'm not sure why we thought holding "Don't stake 'Dark Shadows'" picket signs in front of NB city hall would make any difference. I imagine the mayor and city hall employees must have been quite confused about the whole thing. lol. That said, I totally participated and met some cool people there :)

I remember chatting with this one group of gothy folks who created their own tabletop DS RPG which was set in the classic series' continuity. They were telling me all about their most recent gaming session, and it sounded really cool. Ever since then, I've wondered why DS never had its own official tabletop role-playing game like 'Star Trek' or 'Doctor Who'.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2021, 02:58:25 PM »
Haha! Yep, that's the one! Thanks for posting that one, and all of the others too, MB!

My pleasure.  [snow_smiley]

In more local memories, I remember there was a protest in front of New Bedford City Hall after it was announced that the show was going to be canceled. I'm not sure who organized that, but I believe I found out about it via one of the local radio stations (FUN 107, I think).  It's funny thinking back on it. I get the idea behind holding DS protests in major cities, and especially in front of NBC studios, but I'm not sure why we thought holding "Don't stake 'Dark Shadows'" picket signs in front of NB city hall would make any difference. I imagine the mayor and city hall employees must have been quite confused about the whole thing. lol. That said, I totally participated and met some cool people there :)

That is interesting. I remember that there was a rally in Boston. One might think the radio station might have suggested joining that one. Or at least that they picket the WJAR studio in Cranston, RI - that was closer than Boston. But apparently they wanted a rally in NB...

I've wondered why DS never had its own official tabletop role-playing game like 'Star Trek' or 'Doctor Who'.

That is odd...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2021, 03:00:00 PM »
Just in case anyone is wondering why another promo in the "Shadow Time" campaign wasn't posted last night, that's because nothing new was aired on the 27th. But there will be something new posted tonight and tomorrow night...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2021, 03:00:00 AM »
Here's the third "Shadow Time" promo, having aired on February 28th:

It's also the one and only one without an intro scene of a woman leading up to saying "It's Shadow Time."

And here's a "Shadow Time" voiceover that ran that same night during the closing credits of an NBC news special:

Look forward to one more completely new promo in this campaign...