Author Topic: DS 1991 30th anniversary  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DS 1991 30th anniversary
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2021, 04:00:00 AM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2021, 08:08:45 PM »
Something related to Ep #11 (Hour 12) came up in the topic for the third Innovation comic so I'd posted two screen caps from a deleted scene from Ep #11:

I forgot to mention yesterday that I started to watch "Dark Shadows Resurrected" with the intention of simply getting the screen caps of Joanna and Barbara, but I ended up watching the whole thing. I hadn't seen it in years and I'd forgotten how much behind the scenes footage and how many deleted scenes there are. One deleted scene that's particularly a hoot is from Hour 12/Episode 11 of Willie outside the Old House and feeding the birds -

- though for those who've seen the series, it takes a completely different turn when Joe sneaks into the house behind Willie -

- because we know what Joe's action is leading to...

And I was going to share those screen caps again here. However, I discovered that a piece of software that I have on my PC can pull unencrypted video from a DVD and I had made a copy of DS Resurrected on DVD, so I wondered if I could get a copy of the scene rather than simply share screen caps, and lo and behold I could. So, below you will find the video I made of it. And not only is the deleted scene from Ep 11 included, but also the deleted Ep #7 scene I'd shared screen caps of back in Reply #47 of Barnabas carrying Angelique to his bed because that sequence comes up right after the deleted Ep #11 scene:

At least in the Willie/Joe instance, not including the scene doesn't really take away anything from the ep. Though in the case of Barnabas/Angelique, the deleted part would have added more. But alas...

(And it's amazing how you can have a piece of software on your computer for years and never realize what it's fully capable of until an opportunity to test it crops up.  [easter_wink])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2021, 11:08:00 PM »
I can't recall any difference between the "R-rated" cut and the official GP cut, but I suppose it's because my 14-year-old mind was so wildly traumatized that I completely blocked it out. [easter_grin]

That could be it  [easter_wink]  - and I strongly suspect the '90s NBC censors would definitely think it's the reason!  [easter_rolleyes]

I just hope that the deleted footage I shared of Barnabas carrying Angelique to his bed hasn't traumatized too many people. I suppose all I can hope is that anyone who feared seeing the actual footage (as opposed to just the screen caps) totally avoided playing anything after the Willie/Joe scene...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2021, 01:47:37 AM »
There's one promo that I've never seen. It was shot at the Vista the weekend of the 1991 festival. It was done by a station that was going to air (or at least planning to) air the NBC show. I've long since forgotten what station was doing this or if they ever aired the series. But they were asking fans for their reaction to the show. They got some pretty odd responses. One guy with a pronounced speech impediment said that it was better than Cats. I think that he meant the Andrew Lloyd Webber play and not the species. But you never know.
It was after the performance of Victoria Winters Bogus Journey that he interviewed me and my collaborator Athena Victory. I think that my snark level was running particularly high that day. When asked for my comments on the series, I said that I wished that someone had told Ben Cross that it's difficult to go around hissing like that and try to come across as masculine.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2021, 03:20:34 PM »
it's difficult to go around hissing like that and try to come across as masculine.

Considering it was DC's idea for all that, and given his phobias while working on the original series, that's an ironic observation if ever there was one!!  [easter_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2021, 03:40:13 PM »
My friend Athena was no slouch in the snark department either. She pointed out that when Barnabas goes into vampire attack mode, he bore an uncanny resemblance to Ed O'Neill on Married With Children.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2021, 11:12:03 PM »
Thank heavens when the shot in today's installment in the slideshow -

Ep #2 - Joe: 'No, Daphne. No.'

- was cropped from 4X3 to 16X9 for the DVD release, whoever did it had the good sense not to center the cropping of the frame and to raise it so that it cropped out more of Daphne at the bottom and not the heads -

- of the characters in the top of the background. Well, except for that one polieman...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2021, 02:00:00 AM »
Before getting to posting things for Ep #12 (Hour 13) there's a bit of old business because you've probably noted that the voiceover for the opening of Ep #11 manages to also screw up because it says with reference to Barnabas, "Josette chose to join him as a creature of the night," and that is so not true. Josette never agreed to becoming a vampire. In fact, as we see in EP #12, after she finds out what her existence will be like with Barnabas, just like in the original show, Josette runs away from him and rather than be with Barnabas jumps from Widows' Hill. But hey, if we want to look on it with a positive attitude, all the screw ups in some of the opening voiceovers just help to continue the tradition of all sorts of errors associated with the show.  [easter_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2021, 03:00:00 AM »
Preview of Ep #12:

And here's a promo from March 18th:

And here's a March 21st voiceover  over the closing credits of Wings:

And promos from March 22nd:

And finally it's the opening of Ep #11 as it played on the east coast at exactly 30 years ago today:

Enjoy!  [easter_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2021, 04:00:00 AM »

You've no doubt noticed screen caps from scenes not seen on NBC or even the MPI VHS. More on that later...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2021, 07:50:52 PM »
All of the promos call it the season finale, not the series finale. Had it been canceled by then?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2021, 08:54:02 PM »
No - it wasn't until May that NBC announced the show had been canceled...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2021, 05:57:46 PM »
Before getting to posting things for Ep #12 (Hour 13) there's a bit of old business because you've probably noted that the voiceover for the opening of Ep #11 manages to also screw up because it says with reference to Barnabas, "Josette chose to join him as a creature of the night," and that is so not true. Josette never agreed to becoming a vampire. In fact, as we see in EP #12, after she finds out what her existence will be like with Barnabas, just like in the original show, Josette runs away from him and rather than be with Barnabas jumps from Widows' Hill. But hey, if we want to look on it with a positive attitude, all the screw ups in some of the opening voiceovers just help to continue the tradition of all sorts of errors associated with the show.  [easter_cheesy]

Maybe whoever wrote that had advance knowledge of the Burton film and was just confusing the two...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2021, 08:16:11 PM »
I had a really good laugh when I saw and was reminded of today's quote:

Ep #6 - Willie: 'Take yourself a nice nap. Okay.'

Too Funny!!  [stfl] [stfl] [stfl]  Yup, after a vampire attack, all one needs is "a nice nap."  [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »
Another must quote:

Ep #6 - Sarah: 'Why must you hurt people, Barnabas? Why
can you not understand that some want to help you?'