Author Topic: DS 1991 30th anniversary  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
DS 1991 30th anniversary
« on: January 11, 2021, 11:07:04 PM »
Veteran fan Joe Integlia posted on social media today celebrating the 30th anniversary of the debut of the 1991 DS series. Just thought I'd share that with fans.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DS 1991 30th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 03:37:52 AM »
Hmmm - the 30th anniversary isn't until the 13th...

But thanks so much for sharing, Gothick.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 07:21:45 PM »
Now I really feel old.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:45:26 PM »
You ain’t the only one.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 03:00:00 AM »
In honor of the 30th anniversary, here's the opening of the miniseries as it played on the east coast at exactly 30 years ago today:

Enjoy!  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 04:00:00 AM »
And as extras, here are the nine different bumpers that played leading to or during commercial breaks:

Enjoy as well!  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 05:08:00 AM »

(Note the captures from two scenes that only appear in MPI's restored version.)

And you may want to revisit the topic "The Return of Yet Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [** Now featuring unshot Julia material - see reply #194**]". It follows the script for the pilot and contains dropped lines, extended bits of scenes, completely dropped scenes (meaning not even restored for the MPI VHS tape), scenes in a different order in the script, scenes that were never even shot, and scenes that were shot for the pilot but held for subsequent eps of the series... 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 03:00:00 AM »
Previews of the second night of the miniseries:

And here's the opening of the second night of the miniseries as it played on the east coast at exactly 30 years ago today:

Enjoy!  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 04:00:00 AM »
And as extras, here are the six different specific to night two bumpers that played leading to or during commercial breaks:

Also there was a voiceover during the closing credits to promote Friday's premiere of the series:

Enjoy as well!  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 05:00:00 AM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 05:22:58 PM »
Two things that I always find interesting but I forgot to post about last night:

First is how the scene in which Liz laments that she thinks some dark cloud is hung over Collinwood shows up at the beginning of the preview for the second night of the miniseries -

- the scene was shot as part of Ep #2 (Hour 3), so in that sense it makes sense that it's included in the preview - however, it doesn't actually show up on the series until Ep #4 (Hour 5). It's amazing how some scenes were not only shuffled around in their own eps but were also used in completely different eps than they were shot.

And the second thing is how the scene of Carolyn howling -

- shows up in the recap of the pilot yet it wasn't included in the NBC version. It only appears in MPI's restored version of the pilot. I've always thought it's a major crime that scene between Carolyn and Vicki was cut from the NBC version, not only because it's a great scene, but Carolyn and Vicki share so few scenes on the series.

And changing the subject entirely, it's come to my attention that the last two bumpers for the second night of the miniseries are not working on some people's phones. I'm sorry to say I have absolutely no idea why that is because they work on both my PC and my phone. But as we've often said, the forum can behave very strangely from time to time without any discernible explanation to the point that we'd swear it's haunted. Sadly, here's yet another example of that...  [snow_sad]

For those who can't see those two bumpers, the first is Barnabas slipping into vamp mode while -

- making out with Vicki in Josette's room - and the second is Prof. Woodard discovering Barnabas' blood sample -

- in Julia's lab.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 07:34:19 PM »
This may have been discussed before, but do others think Professor Woodard was supposed to represent Professor Stokes from TOS? Or Dr Woodard from TOS?  Of course, he was probably a combination of both.  But since Stokes was the more iconic of the two characters, why not name him Professor Stokes?  Or maybe since Professor Woodard was to die -- does anyone think perhaps the plan was to have Professor Stokes join the show later in the series (as a new character), and fulfill his original role as expert on the paranormal?  My reason for asking is, I've always believed the "Professor" role (regardless of name) was vital to the show and future storylines.  I never considered the Professor role to be expendable.   

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 02:44:07 AM »
I concur, Nell.  It seems to me that the DS-91 Dave Woodard was a combination of the DS-OS Woodard and the HoDS Eliot Stokes (who died the same way 91 Dave did).  I'm surmising that the complete character of Professor Timothy Eliot Stokes would've been introduced later in the 91.  A fun thing to ponder is who could've played the part?  Actually, I'm picturing Carroll O'Connor.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 04:31:08 PM »
Gerard,

How about the late, great Michael V. Gazzo as the estimable Prof. T. Elliot Stokes?  Mr. Gazzo was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his performance as Frankie “Five Fingers” Pentangeli in “Godfather II.”

I’d like to have seen Professor Stokes portrayed with a little Garden State swagger, ala Tony Soprano or Uncle Junior.  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 05:08:08 PM »
As you've probably noticed, I've changed the slideshow for the first page of this board to the one for the '91 Series (pages 2 and beyond are still showing the slideshow for the 2012 DS). I would have done so back at the beginning of January had I thought about how 2021 is the 30th anniversary of the series, but that didn't even dawn on me until Gothick shared that Joe Integlia had posted about it. So, thanks to both Gothick and Joe for reminding me.  [snow_smiley]

Given that today is already the 16th, we've missed several entries in the slideshow. However, shortly I'll be posting the entries for the 1st through the 15th so that we can catch up...