Author Topic: OT - Angel to return  (Read 4761 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Angel to return
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 03:07:09 AM »
Are you?
Yeah, because we came back in and then the ratings go up and it's like something like "Dark Shadows" or something.

Hmm...Now when I first saw this comment I interpreted it to mean that he was comparing Angel to DS.  Just as the ratings were starting to rise during the 1840/1841 PT stories, DS got the ax; now it seems that although Angel's ratings are also climbing, this show is bound for cancellation too.

In any case, the comment is very vague.  All he does is drop the name "Dark Shadows"; he doesn't specify in any way how it relates to Angel.

ProfStokes

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 03:20:42 AM »
Hmm...Now when I first saw this comment I interpreted it to mean that he was comparing Angel to DS.  Just as the ratings were starting to rise during the 1840/1841 PT stories, DS got the ax; now it seems that although Angel's ratings are also climbing, this show is bound for cancellation too.

I think I'd be astonished if he knew something as esoteric as the fact that DS's ratings were actually rising when the show was cancelled.  Most of US can't seem to keep that fact straight and we're fans.  ;)

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2004, 03:23:32 AM »

Interesting take. And I suppose it's possible. But it also presupposes that Kane is so familiar with DS history to be able to make those connections...

But at any rate, I doubt most of the Angel fans who are already heated up will come away from Kane's remarks with the same take.  :(

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Angel to return
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 04:21:31 AM »
i have what is perhaps a naive question.i have never seen "angel",but it seems to be mentioned in connection with the potential new d.s. show alot.why?what was it about and how does that affect a new version of d.s.?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 12:21:10 AM »
... the Angel fans who are already heated up ...

Speaking of those fans, I wonder what they'll think when they hear about or read first hand David Boreanaz' comments in SciFi Wire's Star Relieved At Angel's End? Hopefully it will help them to realize that a potential WB DS is hardly one of the major reasons why Angel came to an end on the WB...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 12:25:49 AM »
i have never seen "angel",but it seems to be mentioned in connection with the potential new d.s. show alot.why?what was it about and how does that affect a new version of d.s.?

mscbryk,

If you go back and check out this topic from reply #2 onward, you'll probably get a good idea of what it's all about.  :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 09:09:38 PM »
Hopefully it will help them to realize that a potential WB DS is hardly one of the major reasons why Angel came to an end on the WB...

One day there's an article that shows there are probably many reasons why Angel might have ended. But then the next we get this again:

The decision to cancel Angel may be tied to WB's decision to add another vampire drama to its lineup this fall; ER producer John Wells is producing a new version of the gothic soap opera Dark Shadows.

(Though maybe Angel's fans will be in a better mood today because the show as well as stars David Boreanaz, James Marsters and Amy Acker all won Saturn Awards yesterday.)

Click this link to read the entire TIME to Sign Off.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 10:08:46 PM »
Gee....maybe it's time to start hoping that it's the gospel truth that "Angel" is getting the boot to make room for DS......that would mean that the decision to put DS on the air is already cut in stone....otherwise why on earth make it official that there's going to be an empty space where "Angel" used to be?

And speaking of "Angel"....after missing the series all year, I caught last night's episode in Italy.   What the hell was THAT all about?  I kept expecting Eddie Izzard to go by on a Vespa shouting "Ciao!"
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2004, 02:18:51 PM »
The decision to cancel Angel may be tied to WB's decision to add another vampire drama to its lineup this fall; ER producer John Wells is producing a new version of the gothic soap opera Dark Shadows.

Well the piece you quoted states that the decision to cancel Angel only "may" be tied to the WB's decision.  I am a bit of a Buffy/Angel fan and FWIR, the WB decision had more to do with budget than than ratings.  That was at least one reason why the show this year has been so focused on staying inside the Wolfram and Hart offices.  It's also an action series and those are expensive.  I suppose that a new Dark Shadows series might appear attractive as it far more a talk drama than an action drama and yet still has supernatural elements (oops, looks like I just argued myself back to the beginning) :-[

Nelson
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2004, 02:26:44 PM »
And speaking of "Angel"....after missing the series all year, I caught last night's episode in Italy.   What the hell was THAT all about?

Haven't seen that ep yet myself but it's all part of the run up to the series finale and the battle against the Senior Partners

I kept expecting Eddie Izzard to go by on a Vespa shouting "Ciao!"

That would have been very funny actually!  :D

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2004, 03:38:40 AM »
And speaking of "Angel"....after missing the series all year, I caught last night's episode in Italy.   What the hell was THAT all about?

I put your answer in spoiler tags since Nelson has not seen his.

[spoiler]I think it was less about the "big" unknown battle coming in next two episodes.  What they did, IMHO, is come to some conclusion about Buffy or at the very least, a truce between Spike and Angel.  Here is a good page on the Implaler General's web site that gives a pretty good explanation what it was about and a bunch of background.   There was also the continuing sub-plot of Illyria and Wes.  Illyria is going to prove to be an unpredictable element IMHO in the last two episodes.[/spoiler]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2004, 02:57:48 PM »
Thanks, Victoria, and I agree, now that I have seen the ep, I see now that in a lot of ways the story was about letting go of Buffy and the two of them coming to a sort of truce realizing just how much alike they are in other ways too.  They may not be lovers, but this season of Angel, Spike and Angel's relationship has been the emotional center of the show.  IMHO, of course :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2004, 04:38:53 PM »
Wow.  Wouldn't it be hot if the series finale involved a 3 way between Adam Baldwin, James Marsters and Boreanaz?

probably a snowball chance's in Hell of seeing anything like this on the Froggy Bore, but we can dream.

G.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2004, 04:43:03 PM »
Wow.  Wouldn't it be hot if the series finale involved a 3 way between Adam Baldwin, James Marsters and Boreanaz?

Don't forget Lindsey! woof ;-P~

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2004, 01:16:36 PM »
For you Angel fans, I see he's going to be on "Regis & Kelli" on Monday a.m.

Patti
What a Woman!