Author Topic: OT - Angel to return  (Read 4762 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT - Angel to return
« on: April 01, 2004, 12:02:02 AM »

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re: OT - Angel to return
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 12:19:45 AM »
Hmmmmm... it doesn't sound very promising to me.  The comment about the Angel 'universe' is very telling, I think.

I dunno - that sounds more to me like the writers will be sneaking in references in the show in their new projects than any return of "Angel" as its fans know it.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 02:10:26 AM »
You are probably right. My guess is that Angel will continue via tele-movies most likely on the WB. I am just blown away how much anti- Dark Shadows messages are being posted by Angel fans especially on the WB discussion boards. It is just not fair to us.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 03:47:43 AM »
I had to check this out for myself after seeing your comment.  It's really too bad -- many of these kids feel that "their" show has been yanked in order to be replaced by DS, which they view as a dinosaur.  I wonder if their threatened boycott will have an impact -- they are the constituency the WB aims for, from what we're told -- not us older DS fans.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 04:10:11 AM »
I am just blown away how much anti- Dark Shadows messages are being posted by Angel fans especially on the WB discussion boards. It is just not fair to us.

Fairness on most Internet message boards. Now there's a concept. But the reality is that, for the most part, there's no such thing.  :(

I wonder if their threatened boycott will have an impact

Well, first they'd have to follow through with it. But even if they do, unless there's a Nielsen ratings box in their household, it won't matter one iota.  [b003]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 04:15:04 AM »
I wonder if their threatened boycott will have an impact -- they are the constituency the WB aims for, from what we're told -- not us older DS fans.

That is a good question something you would think the WB considered when they pulled the plug on Angel. I am not sure if the WB underestimated the negative media response to Angel's cancellation and the negative impact it may have on the new DS. Then again weren't we all mad at NBC when they cancelled the 1991 DS. But I assume many of us tune in to NBC these days. I just have a feeling that the WB will throw Angel fans a bone by ordering Angel tele-movies in an attempt to soften their anger and to also protect its investment in DS. Pure speculation on my part. Maybe it will be better to hear from a true Angel fan who is a member here.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 04:26:28 AM »
Well, I LOVE Angel. And I'm not happy to see it go by any means. But there's not much I can do about it.

The interesting thing is even Joss Whedon isn't sure if HE wants to do anything about it because part of him is happy to see Angel end (a fact that many of Angel's fans conveniently choose to ignore). The WB has proposed continuing Angel as a series of TV movies - however, Whedon's response to that was, "And who will make them for you?" because he's heavily in the development of the film Serenity, which is based on his canceled FOX series, Firefly. Now, that statement could have simply been a ploy to make the WB sweat. But there's also the fact that with Joss you never know if you can actually believe what he's saying. For example, in one interview he's condescending about SMG's decision not to appear on Angel earlier this season, but in the next he's quite understanding, and then he's back to being condescending again in another, and then understanding again, and... Well, you get the idea.

Of course, Angel's cancellation won't stop me from watching a WB DS. But then, as much as I enjoy Angel, I'm a bigger fan of DS.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 04:58:08 AM »

I am out of my league with any discussion of Whedon's psych. From a financial point of view, wouldn't Whedon be happy knowing that his workers will again be employed filming the TV movies? Would he and his company benefit from making these movies? If Whedon truly cares about his employees, I would hope he would agree to film the Angel TV movies. I hope there are alot more fans like you out there.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Angel to return
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 12:14:01 AM »
In a recent interview, Whedon did not mentioned DS as one of the reasons for Angel's cancellation. Thank goodness. Also tells viewers to keep on writing .

www.saveangel.org/index.php?story=132

If link does not work simply try www.saveangel.org

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 08:18:15 PM »
I am just blown away how much anti- Dark Shadows messages are being posted by Angel fans

Well, apparently now it's not just Angel fans - it's Angel guest stars as well. Here's an excerpt from a recently posted interview with Christian Kane (Lindsey):

Are there plans for an "Angel" movie?
Oh, they're talking about that. I'm not sure that's [a good thing].

Would you be involved?
If David said that he would do it and Joss asked me to do it, then I would definitely do it hands-down, no matter where I was at in my life. But I don't see it. I'm pissed off.

Are you?
Yeah, because we came back in and then the ratings go up and it's like something like "Dark Shadows" or something.

Anyone interested can check out the full interview here.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 08:31:09 PM »
The rest of the interview doesn't provide any further comments about "Dark Shadows".....so that's the full extent of his commentary on the possibility that DS is somehow responsible for the cancellation of "Angel".

Sounds to me like he really hasn't got a clue what DS has to do with anything....nor does he seem the least bit put out about moving on to other projects.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 08:46:30 PM »
nor does he seem the least bit put out about moving on to other projects.

True. But being "pissed off" at DS and looking forward to doing other projects aren't mutually exclusive emotions.  ;)

Also, having an Angel star mouth off about DS, whether he actually has a clue about DS having anything to do with Angel's cancellation or not, is just the type of thing to reenergize those overly caffeinated Angel fans who already blame DS for the cancellation. (Actually, the fact that Kane doesn't seem to know anything only make his comment worse than it might otherwise be in the greater scheme of things because he's speaking from a vantage point of ignorance...)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 09:01:36 PM »
I had thought the anti-Dark Shadows nonsense had petered out but here it shows its ugly face again by this actor. In any event, I feel as long as the positive buzz outweighs the negativity out there, the DS pilot stands a good chance of being picked up by the WB. (Although I can't say I am pleased that the WB has leaked out via Variety that they have picked up  two dramas  Mountain and Jack and Bobby for its fall schedule thereby reducing DS' chances of also being picked up.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 09:21:04 PM »
In any event, I feel as long as the positive buzz outweighs the negativity out there, the DS pilot stands a good chance of being picked up by the WB.

Oh, yeah. I don't think anything Angel's stars or fans might say regarding DS would make any impact on the decision to pick up the DS pilot.

(Although I can't say I am pleased that the WB has leaked out via Variety that they have picked up  two dramas  Mountain and Jack and Bobby for its fall schedule thereby reducing DS' chances of also being picked up.)

The Variety piece doesn't quite say that those two shows have definitely been picked up. What it says is:

Posted: Mon., May 3, 2004, 10:22pm PT

Frog hopping with fall fare

Net likely to pickup 'Mountain,' 'Jack'

By JOSEF ADALIAN

Two weeks before it announces its fall sked, the WB is close to picking up a pair of drama pilots from Warner Bros. Television: "The Mountain" and "Jack & Bobby."

Nothing's official yet, and the Frog could decide to wait until its official Gotham sked announcement May 18 before revealing a formal pickup.

But industry insiders said "The Mountain" production team was at the Frog Monday mapping out strategy for the first 12 episodes -- a pretty good sign the pilot is going to get a greenlight.

And "Jack & Bobby," in the works for two years, has long been considered a shoo-in for a series order.

"The Mountain" stars Oliver Hudson as a twentysomething who returns home to run his late grandfather's mountain resort. Barbara Hershey also stars.

Skein comes from WBTV and McG's Wonderland Sound and Vision. Shaun Cassidy, McG, Stephanie Savage ("The OC") and David Barrett are all part of the production team, with Barrett helming. Original pilot script was written by Gina Matthews and Grant Scharbo, who are expected to remain as consultants.

As for "Jack & Bobby," the hour revolves around two brothers, one of whom is set to be elected president of the United States in 2040. Christine Lahti stars as their single mother, a hard-nosed college professor who's reluctant to let her oldest son take on the job of shaping his younger brother.

WBTV is producing along with former "West Wing" helmer Thomas Schlamme's Shoe Money Prods. and "Everwood" creator Greg Berlanti's Berlanti-Liddell shingle.

Schlamme and Berlanti are exec producers, as are Vanessa Taylor and Mickey Liddell. Brad Meltzer and Steve "Scoop" Cohen have been part of the project since its inception.

Frog execs are fond of starting the buzz for their dramas early, signaling to Madison Avenue and the consumer press that the network has strong faith in its frosh contenders.

Indeed, it was almost two years ago to the day that the network gave an early thumbs up to Berlanti's "Everwood." And six years ago, the WB let the world know it loved "Felicity" early on, sending out tapes and elaborate press kits for the skein two weeks before it was ordered to series.[/b]

Date in print: Tue., May 4, 2004, Los Angeles

Though you are right that this would seem to lessen the possibility that DS might be chosen. But, of course, it's never been a given that DS was a definite for the WB's fall season (and fans should have always been preparing themselves for the possibility that it won't make the fall schedule - or even be picked as a mid-season replacement). That being said, though, just like there's been positive buzz about these two shows and the WB may have discussed strategy for the first 12 epsisode of The Mountain, they've also ordered 6 DS scripts. We shouldn't necessarily read too much into this report quite yet. Also, let's keep in mind that more than likely the WB hasn't even seen the DS pilot yet...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 09:28:00 PM »
Agreed MB. I think there are still several scenarios that Dark Shadows may still make the fall schedule.