Author Topic: But What About The REAL Dark Shadows?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:But What About The REAL Dark Shadows?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 09:28:35 PM »
I literally don't watch anything on tv anymore! but I buy a lot of tv shows on DVD.

I've been thinking alot about this; I wonder if there'll come a time when it'll be all 'pay per view', not just movies, but,,,,so many people 'buy' tv shows and movies now...who has that much time for a weekly commitment?

Maybe the networks will start having a 'preview' month to 'tickle' you with a 'new' show, then, if you like it, you 'view' for a fee; it'd be a lot cheaper than some of us are paying now for all the channels we don't watch.

Patti....the more I think of it, I sort of wish they weren't just 'recasting' DS, but making it something new.
What a Woman!

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 04:39:31 AM »
Maybe I'm not qualified to say this since I don't watch very many new tv shows, but I just feel that there isn't a lot of creativity anymore. I know some people would laugh at a lot of the old shows that I love, but they just seem different to me. Yes, DS had all of the props falling apart, actors flubbing lines, etc. but it was imaginative!! Like many of the shows everyone's mentioned in the thread in the Calendar section. Then there's the fact that shows are shorter so we can be inundated with even more commercials and those annoying logos that stay on the screen the whole time you're watching something, and I won't even get started on how much they cut out of older shows in syndication...

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004, 02:32:36 AM »
The age demographic of the group that watches the least amount of TV is the 34 to 59.   TV is basically written for 18-34 yr olds from what I've read. That's the desired demographic. That's where the advertisement dollars are or so they say.

I don't watch much TV either. I'm hooked on Kingdom Hospital, The Apprentice and to a lessor extent, American Idol. I must be an advertisers nightmare since I watch so little TV!  ;D

Would love to see some of the old classic TV shows again like Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty and Knot's Landing. I'm actually looking forward to the new DS. Hopefully I won't be disappointed since I not expecting too much.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2004, 09:12:55 PM »
So....now that we know there isn't going to be a new DS to watch this September......how do we find out what (if anything at all) is happening with the rights to the original?

We don't know if one thing had anything to do with the other....but if the possibility of a new show was preventing the old show from being offered to some other interested party, perhaps that will now be re-thought....?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2004, 09:30:06 PM »
Worldvision has been trying to sell DS since it finished its run on sci-fi. There has been no plot to keep it from the airwaves because of the new show. It would mean hundreds of thousands of dollars of revenue of DC and Worldvision. It's not in their interest to not have it on the air.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2004, 09:52:15 PM »
I didn't actually think there WAS any sort of "plot" involved....which explains why I didn't use the word.

I was thinking more along the line of too-much-on-the-plate-all-at-once for those involved.  But of course, if WorldVision had nothing at all to do with the new series prospects (I don't keep track that carefully of who owns/controls what) then obviously there's no connection.

The question remains....is there any way to know more specifically what's gone on regarding the original series?  Has it actually been turned down, and if so, by whom?  Is it currently being seriously considered by anyone else?

It would be nice to have a glimmer of hope regarding somthing DS.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 11:34:32 PM »
It's being worked on, from what I hear.

I'm sure there will be an announcement once (and if) its picked up.

Would it be that much of a tragedy if its not run on another channel?

There are hundreds of old TV shows that don't show continuously, and have gaps of years or seasons between reruns. DS is all on video (unlike most shows) and ran for 10 years continuously. The original Star Trek or its spin offs haven't run non-stop without a break for 10 years, and its been probably a decade since Doctor Who has been shown in any kind of continuous fashion on US TV...not to mention CHICO AND THE MAN... ;D

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2004, 11:53:38 PM »
Worldvision has been trying to sell DS since it finished its run on sci-fi. There has been no plot to keep it from the airwaves because of the new show. It would mean hundreds of thousands of dollars of revenue of DC and Worldvision. It's not in their interest to not have it on the air.

Help me out if you could Darren...Worldvision wants to sell DS?
Do we know why?

....it would mean hundres of thousands of dollars for DC/Worldvision???? Huh??
It's not in their interest to not have it on the air....a double negative, so (and I really am trying to follow along), does Worldvision and DC want DS on air???

El Confusido,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 12:08:32 AM »
Sell- as in sell the licensing rights to a television network.
Just as it was sold to Sci--fi. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2004, 12:14:12 AM »
Sell- as in sell the licensing rights to a television network.
Just as it was sold to Sci--fi. Sorry for the confusion.

It is kind of ironic that there are two DS series for sale-1966 and 2004.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2004, 01:52:31 AM »
i've really enjoyed watching d.s. on video,the main reason i hope it finds a place on current t.v. is exposure.i wasn't born when d.s. ran 66-71 and would never have seen it if not on scifi.it caught my interest and then i began ordering it on video to try and watch it in order from ep.1(what a journey!).but if it's not broadcast somewhere,once the current group of fans has seen it all,there will be no one to pass the torch to(and purchase vid/dvd)and it could die,which would be sad.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.