Author Topic: And Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 46045 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: And Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #255 on: February 21, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »
Regarding today's image ("I was gonna scare you..."), that was an absolutely amazing bit in the movie.  The writing, acting, directing, and editing came together beautifully to show how Vicki and David instantly bond in that moment.  (Finally, David has someone on his side!)  What a shame that that was pretty much the extent of their relationship as far as what appeared in the final film...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 21, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »
Yes, that was a shame, KMR.  [snow_sad]  We know that Vicki told Barnabas that David idolized him and that she could hardly get David to talk about anything other than Barnabas - but we never saw any of that. But then, Seth Grahame-Smith did tell us that practically the entire Barnabas/David subplot ended up on the cutting room floor. And apparently at some point it was decided that Vicki would barely be seen talking to anyone other than Barnabas because she also had scenes with Carolyn and Julia cut. (Though we also know that she even had at least one scene with Barnabas cut.)

I still say that if we can believe Seth Grahame-Smith that so many scenes ended up on the cutting room that they could have probably put together an entire other film from them, then apparently the script was just too ambitious for its own good. Well, at least for a film that would ultimately end up with a running time of under two hours...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 21, 2014, 10:20:17 PM »
remember on the OS after 1795, when monsters abruptly became the main characters, Vicki and David never shared another scene again except maybe one or two when the Quentin storyline was launched...

that what Vicki and David's relationship reminded me of in the film. Vicki coming to Collinwood under the premise of becoming David's governess was just the setup for getting her into the story and a nod to OS mythology. but regardless of scenes cut or not cut I don't think that relationship was ever intended to be heavily developed in the film. it decidedly was not "about that".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 22, 2014, 01:06:11 AM »
I still say that if we can believe Seth Grahame-Smith that so many scenes ended up on the cutting room that they could have probably put together an entire other film from them, then apparently the script was just too ambitious for its own good. Well, at least for a film that would ultimately end up with a running time of under two hours...

I have a hunch that a 3.5 or 4 hour cut of the movie would end up being something truly breathtaking and wonderful that would more closely attain Tim Burton's goal of being a tribute to (or reverie on) the original series.  But sadly we'll probably never see such a thing.   [snow_cry]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 23, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »
Today's image and caption are a real scream.  I totally don't recall "Barnabas Collins III" from my one viewing but that's hardly surprising. 

I find myself thinking of Thurston Howell III and Depp playing the role ten years down the line in panda eye and clown white makeup...lol!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
Love today's shot of HBC.  Maybe some day I'll get to see this one deleted scene between Liz and Julia.  I think it is the only one that has been made available.  Who knows if more was shot.

The two are for me the only redeeming element in this thing... well, I also liked Magtoria on the train as Nights in White Satin played...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2014, 12:03:10 AM »
I know I already said this last year, BUT I REALLY LOVE this screen capture of Helena Bonham Carter!!

And like I said last year:
It was already clear in deleted scene #59 between Liz and Julia that Julia wasn't buying what Liz was selling when it came to Barnabas - but in this scene (which is the first of its kind to actually be in the film) it's even clearer that Julia isn't swallowing any of the cover story about Barnabas.  [ghost_wink]

It's all just so fantastic to watch!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2014, 02:12:58 AM »
I don't recall today's HBC dialogue snippet from the deleted scenes in Depp Shadows.  I really wish I could just see the deleted scenes with HBC.  I have no desire to see any of the rest of it again, ever.

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »
I finally saw the movie on TV and hated it. Rarely have I been so glad that I didn't pay money to see a film. Sorry, guys, but it was just awful.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »
DarkLady I totally agree.  I did enjoy HBC's campy performance.  She seemed to just hit the right note for what she was given to do.  It seems as if a lot of her material was cut in favor of Depp's excruciating pratfalls and mugging.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2014, 07:14:24 PM »
I don't recall today's HBC dialogue snippet from the deleted scenes in Depp Shadows.  I really wish I could just see the deleted scenes with HBC.

As you wish, G.  Here's that scene between Victoria and Julia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp68NYVBESY

And the deleted scene between Liz and Julia (macraméing and drinking, respectively):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TatT2zPKDs

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 02, 2014, 02:32:47 AM »
Ack, I finally found the original Forum post with the link to all the deleted scenes:
Comic Book Movie has posted 5 deleted scenes!

Thanks for your help with the search criteria, MB.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2014, 04:31:50 AM »
Those scenes are a riot, particularly Pfeiffer/HBC.  Thanks so much Midnite!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 30, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »
GKFilms twitter account just tweeted this:

@gkfilms  3 minutes ago
Happy 78th Birthday @PinewoodStudios! #DarkShadows
http://t.co/NIUzq4kilN/s/y2_K

And clicking the link will also bring up a still of Barnabas at the dining room table (complete with waffle in his plate) as he greets the family.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 09, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »
In today's shot from the movie, is that Naomi's portrait weeping tears of blood behind BarnaDepp?  That's actually pretty cool.

G.