Author Topic: And Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 46603 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: And Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »
Other things I love about the current scene are:

The confused expression on Julia's face when Elizabeth first suggests that she would expect Julia to be fascinated by Barnabas and that fact suddenly hits Julia. It's like the levels of just how fascinating he could be had at first never even entered Julia's head:

1972 - Julia: 'Well, sure. Medically, psychologically and
physically, he's fascinating. Which is exactly why I came to
you instead of the police.'

And of course the sly look Elizabeth gives Julia just before she delivers the lines from today's quote:

But then, as we've said, the interactions between Elizabeth/Michelle Pfeiffer and Julia/Helena Bonham Carter are some of the best things about the film.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2013, 05:00:21 AM »
The current capture/quote is the first of 8 from deleted scenes #94 and #95.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2013, 11:37:55 PM »
It's a shame that the current scene in the slideshow ended up getting deleted because, if for nothing else, the far away look in Carolyn's eye at a point when she delivers today's quote would have certainly given more depth to Carolyn's angst and helped to make it a bit more clear that her problem wasn't simply just a bit of teenage rebellion:

1972 (Deleted) - Carolyn: 'Look, you seem nice and I know
this should be us having girl talk, but trust me, you don't
understand either.'

But alas...

One thing I also like about the scene is how at the beginning Carolyn attempts to give a sexy wiggle when she tells Vicki that Barnabas has the hots for Vicki "bigtime."  [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
A moment that I love from the current deleted scene but which is also one that couldn't be included in the slideshow because it doesn't feature any dialogue occurs just before today's capture/quote. It's how after Willie slips Barnabas his liquor flask to hide it from the police (because Willie is driving), Barnabas simply looks at it with disdain before flinging it aside:

And so far as today's capture/quote goes, I absolutely love the nervous aside look Willie gives Barnabas as all the while he's trying not to look nervous while Deputy Hank is explaining about the attacks:

1972 (Deleted) - Deputy Hank: 'Been another one of them
multiple homicides. This one up in Arcadia. Just a bunch of
longhairs this time, thank God. Nasty business, though.
Looked like a grizzly been through 'em. Real messy
eater too.'

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2013, 01:04:55 AM »
On behalf of my alma mater, the University of Montana, and its ferocious mascot/spokesbear, I will respectfully remind my moderators that the correct spelling of the bear referenced by the Collinsport PD is "grizzly," not "grisly."   [ghost_wink]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2013, 05:23:13 AM »
Oops! And what's worse is the line is "Looked like a grizzly been through 'em" - no "bear." Apparently I didn't check the subtitles for that particular line like I normally do.  [ghost_embarrassed]  I don't know how that happened. But it's been corrected.  [ghost_wink]  And thanks for pointing out the error because otherwise I may have never noticed it.  [ghost_smiley]

(And I do hope your alma mater's mascot/spokesbear will forgive me.  [ghost_wink])

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »
Hee hee -- I think he'll be okay.   [ghost_tongue]

Thank you, MB ... you're the greatest.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
As regards Chloe's performance as Carolyn, she just seemed to be stoned and bored throughout the entire film (until the ending, obviously).  I personally found it very one note.  I know others found it fascinating, I am just giving my viewpoint here in the interest of diversity.

I blame the director, not the actress.  I haven't seen her other work but have been told she is a very gifted child.

She's so unlike any version of Carolyn Stoddard I have ever seen that I frankly can't even think of the character as "Carolyn."  I wish a different name had been used.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2013, 10:11:53 PM »
One of the best things about how Barnabas reacts in today's quote -

1972 (Deleted) - Barnabas: 'Perhaps look for a bear. And
then criticize his eating habits.'

- to the unintentional insult Deputy Hank levied at him in yesterday's quote (after all, how could he have known the real culprit, a vampire, was in the car) is the completely deadpan look it prompts as the sole response from Deputy Hank:

[ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »
To me the characterization of Carolyn in the film is very much like the early Carolyn of the '66 eps. Both are very much bored with and resentful of life at Collinwood and want to seek excitement elsewhere. The difference, though, is the '66 Carolyn, being two years older, has ways/opportunities to pursue that excitement, whereas the Carolyn of the film is too young to go out to places like the Blue Whale (and to pursue situations that were too old for her). I honestly suspect that if the original show were to have begun with a 15-year-old rather than a 17-year-old Carolyn, she may have been very similar to the frustrated Carolyn of the film.

Also, the rivalry between Carolyn and David, even though it was all too briefly touched upon in the film during the first dining room scene, is in keeping with their relationship in the early eps. Early David liked nothing better than to embarrass Carolyn and get her into trouble, which the film's David certainly does in that dining room scene - and at times '66 Carolyn would have liked nothing better than to have smacked David into the middle of the next week, something it's easy to imagine the film's Carolyn would have dearly loved to have done, especially considering she called him "a little shit."  [ghost_wink]

Plus, the '66 Carolyn often locked horns with Elizabeth - though that aspect of the film's Carolyn and Elizabeth is more spoken about than actually depicted in the film.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2013, 11:18:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure you're right, MB.  I wasn't think of the character content so much as the performance.  She starts out seeming as if she's swallowed a valium the size of the Great Hall and pretty much continues on the same note throughout.

Presumably this is Burton's idea of "frustrated, defiant 14 year old."

Nancy Barrett's early 1966 scenes had such spark, verve, and style.  I do remember her describing David as a little monster.  Other than that the two characters seem like completely different people. I am happy to agree to disagree.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2013, 11:34:48 PM »
The interesting thing, though, is that Chloe Moretz received several acting nominations for playing Carolyn in the film. Off hand I don't honestly recall how many - but they're all probably listed on IMDb. Though I will certainly concede that, while I enjoyed her work in the film, I would have much preferred to have seen the performances of, say, Michelle Pfeiffer or Helena Bonham Carter recognized. Though realistically they wouldn't have been in some of the same categories as Chloe because she was sometimes nominated in the Younger Actress category...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2013, 12:03:32 AM »
I'm not surprised at all by the noms since "non acting" seems to be the preferred form of "acting" these days."

I feel a rant coming on and it has zilch to do with the film or the show so I'll stop.

cheers, G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2013, 01:04:11 AM »
"I think acting should look as if we were working a *little* ... See, you mustn't have *any* idea that *anybody* knows the camera's on them at all. You see: it's just life. Well, we all have life, 24, 12 hours a day, and sometimes we want to forget life, you know. And I think it should be a *little* larger than life. A little bit theatrical."  Bette Davis

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2013, 01:51:24 AM »
I would love to have more of Bette in "real life"--or Joan Bennett, or Grayson Hall.  "But the acting is so terrible!" OK, watch something else, mate.  It's a free country (well, sort of).

Thanks, dom,  Great quote!

G.