Author Topic: And Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 46341 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: And Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2013, 09:35:35 PM »
The spoilers from the John August script--you may never have read those, MB--included the note that Julia and Angelique hated one another for reasons that had nothing to do with Barnabas.  I hardly consider that comment a spoiler--more like a teaser--but then, some people have odd notions (odd to this writer, at least) as to what constitutes a spoiler.

Those spoilers were so off-the-wall in some cases in terms of what actually happened in the completed film that they must either have been based on an early draft of August's script--or been completely fabricated.  I have speculated that the fabrication might have been a deliberate act of disinformation by person or persons unknown.

Best,  G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »
I didn't read about the supposed connection between Julia and Angelique in the spoiler topic because, believe it or not, I still haven't even gotten around to reading most of that topic.  [ghost_nowink]  I definitely read it in a magazine or on a reputable Web site - possibly both - around the time that the first photos and articles began to show up in '11 - probably around September/October or so - and quite possibly in Entertainment Weekly and/or its Web site and/or Empire and/or its Web site. Places that were getting their info directly from the production of the film.

As for the spoilers, if they really are that bizarre, I suppose I really need to read them sooner rather than later - if for nothing else than for the good laughs they're likely to produce.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2013, 10:28:15 PM »
I just re-read the original list of spoilers posted (I think it's topic 2 in the spoilers thread) and only a couple of them happen to be stuff that happened or was featured in the completed film. 

Anne Rice's cameo is alluded to.  I don't recall seeing her in the completed cut but she might have been present at the ball sequence. 

An odd line is about seeing some very familiar artwork hanging at Collinwood.  I wonder if this was meant to mean the series of swag portraits of herself Angie had done through the centuries.  I presume those portraits were done via CGI but then again, knowing Burton, maybe he had them done for real.

The idea that Magtoria was [spoiler]a student of the occult who came to Collinwood because of her studies[/spoiler] seems to have been a complete red herring.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2013, 04:16:43 PM »
The current capture/quote is the first of at least 5 from the portion of scene #108 that was not included in the film. And I say at least 5 because the quotes from the deleted portion will continue into September, but I haven't picked out all the quotes for September yet.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2013, 11:54:50 PM »
It really is too bad that the moments depicted in today's capture/quote -

1972 (Deleted) - Vicki: 'I just have a hard time trusting
doctors. No offense.'

- from the deleted portion of scene #108 weren't included in the film. As I confessed earlier in this topic, for reason of my own, I never really grasped the look of disdain on Vicki's face upon first meeting Julia and realizing she's a doctor until after I'd seen the film a few times. But for those who did grasp it the first time around, those moments from scene #108 would have been the perfect payoff for the way Vicki reacted when she first met Julia in the first dining room scene. And even for those who also hadn't picked up on Vicki's initial reaction to Julia, they would have still been a nice foreshadowing of what's to come once Vicki explains to Barnabas about her time at Windcliff.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
It's really too bad these scenes were cut.  I don't know how much I missed since I was away and offline starting last Wed. (28th), but this capture and the one for today again makes me think of just how good this movie COULD have been,  And that's all I have to say at this point.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
As far as today's capture/quote -

1972 (Deleted) - Julia: 'You know, honey, everyone in this
house has at least one big scary secret. Yours can't be all
that bad.'

- from the deleted portion of scene #108 goes, I believe it would have been the only place in the film where there would have been a direct reference to everyone at Collinwood having "at least one big scary secret." And I have wondered if perhaps one of the reasons scene #108 was trimmed was because it was ultimately decided not to fully emphasize all the characters' secrets in the film. After all, as we've mentioned before, Liz' supposed secret never really comes into play, nor does Roger's, or even Willie's and Mrs. Johnson, if they had them. And I realize the film couldn't have been three hours long. But I do think it would have been very interesting if the secrets could have all been touched on. But then, as I've theorized in the past - particularly because of Seth Grahame-Smith's remark that there was enough footage left on the cutting room floor for another film, I suspect the script was just too expansive for its own good, so once Warner Brothers decided the film couldn't run over two hours (for whatever bizarre reason [ghost_rolleyes]), that required the film to be cut down quite a bit. Alas... [ghost_sad]

Also, I love how the scene concludes with Vicki releasing a deep sigh after Julia leaves:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2013, 10:52:05 PM »
Another dining room scene means a chance for more really good moments in the film because the dining room scenes do not disappoint - and today's capture/quote begins the run of what is sadly the last of the dining room scenes in the film.

Right off the bat I love that there's no pretense with Barnabas. Apparently those in the know (Liz, Julia and Willie) no longer feel the need to make it look like Barnabas will be eating any of the food that's served. No - what Barnabas gets is big glass of blood:

One presumes the thinking is put it right out in the open where everyone can see it and no one will actually see it. Those not in the know may even think the eccentric Barnabas has simply decided to live on a steady and exclusive diet of tomato juice.  [ghost_wink]  It's really quite a smart move because no doubt after having lived with him day in and day out, Roger, Carolyn, Vicki and David have gotten to the point where purely accepting Barnabas' eccentricity is their normal mode of behavior when it comes to him.

And have I mentioned how much I love Mrs. Johnson? And this scene is no exception as she just quietly sits in her corner of the room squeezing oranges, while Willie swirls the juice around, possibly checking to see if it's ready to serve or if there's even enough to serve:

[ghost_grin]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2013, 01:16:40 AM »
I have to say, one of my most favorite characters in DP-DS was Mrs. Johnson.  I simply adored her.  It was obvious that she was, with Willie, one of the long-standing and only members of the "servants" employed by the Collinses and despite her obvious growing dementia, they felt entitled to her.  She tried to do her best and she did, considering her decreasing condition.  To me, this was one of the best situations where the Collinses did the "right" thing for someone else.  They knew she was no longer able to do much, but they kept her on and allowed her to do what she could.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2013, 01:52:57 AM »
After Roger delivers today's quote -

1972 - Roger: 'Exactly what I've been saying. This family
could use some balls.'

- I absolutely love the dirty look Elizabeth gives him:

Michelle Pfeiffer's face and eyes speak volumes.  [ghost_wink]

And two other things I absolutely love before the next quote comes up are 1) how Julia comes staggering into the dining room seemingly with barely an once of an ability to tolerate the sunlight (the result of one of her legendary (as Elizabeth characterized them) hangovers - or a hint of something that's yet to be revealed?) -

- and 2) the wink Roger gives Vicki after he says that Barnabas has a point and it's about time they throw some dough around to show the "peasants" that the family is back in action -

- Roger, so perfectly condescending as ever towards the residents of Collinsport.  [ghost_grin]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2013, 02:05:11 AM »
Love JLM's Rogerisms

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:46 AM »
You and me both, dom. One of the biggest shames about the finished film is how much Roger/JLM was apparently cut.

But changing reels, something that I love that happens after today's quote/capture and before tomorrow's is how -

- Julia seems to grab for her coffee cup like coffee is literally her lifeline in the moment.  [ghost_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Hilarious.  I wish I could get a disc just with HBC and Pfeiffer's scenes...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2013, 02:06:27 AM »
I wish there had been a gag reel as one of the extras on the DVD/Blu-ray. The various behind the scenes featurettes that were released before and after the release of the film do include a few glimpses of the laughs on the set. But imagine what a gag reel must be like.  [ghost_grin]

But changing the subject, as the final ([ghost_sad]) dining room scene concludes, I'd like to mention that I also love the reactions from Elizabeth, Roger, and Vicki -

- to Carolyn's suggestion that Barnabas needs to have Alice Cooper for the "happening" - as well as Elizabeth, Carolyn, and Roger's subsequent reactions to Barnabas' insistence that Alice will defintely be their guest.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2013, 03:21:06 AM »
Love Liz's coffee cup/tea cup.  Very much a China trade heirloom I suspect...

G.