Author Topic: And Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 46061 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And Yet Another New Slideshow
« on: January 01, 2013, 06:00:00 AM »
Today marks the debut of yet another new slideshow: the 2012 DS Film Slideshow - and chances are pretty good that you've already noticed it on the BoardIndex page of the forum.  [santa_smiley]  During this entire year we'll be featuring quotes (including several from the deleted scenes of the film because it's quite easy to see exactly where those scenes that are provided on the Blu-ray release of the film would have fit into the film), with Midnite and myself alternating months. I'm up for January - Midnite's selections will begin in February.

And to make room for this new slideshow on the BoardIndex, you may have already noticed that the Movies Quotes Slideshow can now be found atop the current Calendar Events / Announcements board. The Quotes Slideshow for the original DS is still atop Page 1 of the Robservations board. And the Episode Captions Slideshow is still atop all the other pages of the Robservations board. And the '91 DS Series Slideshow is still here atop the Current Talk board.

So, throughout the year enjoy with us many of the great moments from the 2012 DS Film.  [santa_smiley]

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
Re: And Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:09:07 AM »
MB -- loving the movie captures and quotes on the main page ushering in the new year!
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
 [pointing-up]  I had a feeling you would, Nicky.  [santa_wink]

Though interestingly today's capture/quote -

1760 - Barnabas Voiceover: 'When I was but a boy, my father
took us to the New World to expand the Collins family empire.'

- only serves to remind me of how things were somehow changed after the WB's May 18, 2011 Press Release for the film came out. As we'll recall, there was mention in it of the Collinses setting sail in 1752 from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America - but not even an ocean away was enough to escape the mysterious curse that plagued their family. Yet there's no mention in the film's actual prologue of them trying to escape any sort of curse. The only reference to curses comes from Barnabas when he first meets Liz in 1972 - and that seems to play as if it's mostly about Barnabas' curse and how after being turned into a vampire he went around insisting a witch had done it to him (which isn't exactly something he should have freely admitted to anyone). And of course, in the actual film the year they set sail is 1760, not 1752 - and the year in which Barnabas is turned ends up being 1776, not 1772. And something I noticed the other day when I went over to IMDb to check the cast list is that a listing for Angelique's mother is now gone (though to me the voice of the woman reprimanding the young Angelique not to stare at young Barnabas sounds a bit like Eva Green - but who knows?) - but other supposed characters who to my knowledge were never listed before (i.e. Greg Bennett as Chet the Taxidermist, Nick Thomas-Webster as Timothy, etc.) are now there. Even Thomas McDonnel 's name is back even though it was gone for the longest time. But perhaps even more significant is that the credit on IMDb for young Barnabas indicates that he was 9 and played by Vincent Curson Smith - not 6 and played by Justin Tracy, as the actual film indicates. So who the hell knows why years were switched - or what sort of stuff was shot but for whatever reason ended up on the cutting room floor?  [santa_undecided]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
With the scene between Barnabas and Angelique in his bedroom in 1795 Ep #368_369 coming up in the WP yesterday and a similar scene having come up in this slideshow yesterday and the day before, it struck me that I like how in the film there is no ambiguity as to what the Barnabas/Angelique relationship was:

1776 - Angelique: 'Let me hear you say "I love you, Angelique.
I want you."'

1776 - Barnabas: 'Angelique...I am sorry, my dear...but you
would be hearing a lie.'

Apparently Barnabas used Angelique purely for sex and there was nothing beyond that on his part. And while ambiguity in their relationship in the original (and the '91) series probably works better because there's a much larger scope of storytelling available to be able to get into the truth behind all the he said/she said, in the film, with so much other storytelling to deal with and such a limited time to get into it all, it was much better that their relationship was explicitly spelled out. The audience knew without any ambiguity that Angelique believed Barnabas had used her - and that really helps to crystallize Angelique's motive for having turned Barnabas into a vampire because there aren't any openings to theorize that she hadn't been wronged.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Of all the gin joints, in all the towns...
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
Today's quote from the Depp movie is:

1776 - Barnabas Voiceover: 'Of all the servants I could have spurned, all the hearts I could have broken, I got the one with the secret. I got the witch.'

I think of Depp’s Barnabas and Frid’s Barnabas as being two completely different personalities, but if you adjust the wording to make it more old-fashioned, this sounds like Frid’s Barnabas to me.  “Poor, poor me.  Just my luck.”

Mostly what I'm thinking about, however, is that Depp’s Barnabas makes it sound like sheer coincidence that he “got the witch”, and I'm not sure that's correct.  I don't mean that Angelique put a spell on him; I'm thinking that there was something in his personality that clicked with a witch.  I don't get this feeling with the Barnabas and Angelique from the original series.

That's as far as I go with this train of thought.  Can anybody take it any further?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns...
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »
I think that Fridbarn might seem that self-pitying just because we see so much of his life, this being a daily soap opera.   If we were followed around with a camera every day, we might have those moments too. If we just dropped in on him occasionally, we might miss those remarks.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:15:44 AM »
The "I got the witch" quote you chose, MB, is probably my favorite line from the opening narration. Glad you included it in your selection of the 2012 slideshow.

I never quite "got" the previous one about Barn getting into the black arts because he was convinced his parents death wasn't accidental. Why, so they could use the Golden Arches for a laugh? But whatevah.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:23:50 PM »
Another favorite moment in the 2012 DS. I liked the confidence, sense of purpose and fearlessness Maggie/Vicki exuded with the line: "New York. And it's Victoria."

I wouldn't have taken a ride from that group in the first place, never mind possibly antagonizing them. I liked and rooted for the character from this moment on.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:53:38 AM »
MB, did you ever read the supposedly spoiler-heavy script "outline" that was "leaked" and then became the object of a spoiler topic here on the boards in 2011?  To understate matters, the "outline" described a story that was very different from what was filmed.

I figured for some time that the "outline" was deliberate disinformation, but it occurs to me that it might have referred to an early draft of the screenplay before the Seth person was brought in to "lighten" things up more.

I hadn't even noticed the details you mentioned about the curse, the switching of dates, etc.  And that's really quite bizarre abou the IMDB page for the movie.

It would seem that the narrative of the movie's development, editing, promotion, distribution, etc. has quite a few more twists and turns than what actually happens in the story the movie tells!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 04:00:39 AM »
I just looked and the earliest post on the spoilers board is one from July 2011. The poster was warned that they had violated board guidelines.  I remember another post that had an actual script outline but not sure just now where it would be archived.

It's interesting among the chat 'n' chew to see that a famous vampire author was slated to have a cameo. Wonder if Annie Rice is wandering somewhere in the party sequence?

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Enjoying the Quotes..
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 01:34:55 AM »
I've been logging on here (almost) every day.
I'm enjoying seeing the dialogue between the 'hippie' girl and Victoria.

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 06:00:00 AM »
The new month means a new person picking quotes from the film - and of course that person for February is Midnite. Enjoy!  [snow_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
It's really funny how on one of today's slideshows, Mrs. Jason Maguire/Johnson is welcoming Barnabas to the door of Collinwood, while in another, Jackie Earle Willie is welcoming Magtoria.

Great juxtaposition!  I love this stuff.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
Yes, I love when things align like that, too.  [snow_wink]

And BTW, not that you've probably been thinking I have been because I know you know sometimes it takes me a while to get back to something, but I haven't been ignoring your replies #6 and #7.  [snow_smiley]  It's just that I want to look up something before I reply, and I just haven't found the time to find it. But hopefully soon.  [snow_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 07:18:11 PM »
Oh, not a problem at all dear.  I don't know about you, but it seems as if this winter has just been hellishly busy, both in the office and in personal life.  So I entirely understand.

You and Midnite do so much to keep this place alive and afloat!  The fact that you even take time to respond in the threads is awesome.

Appreciatively, G.