Author Topic: The Salem Branch - Your thoughts  (Read 21179 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
The Salem Branch - Your thoughts
« on: July 22, 2006, 08:27:59 PM »
I just finished the book this morning and was wondering what others thoughts on the book were? I won't go into any spoilers here, but have to give my opinion.

While I thought the book started out interestingly enough, by the end I had an entirely different opinion all together. The ending I thought was ludicrous beyond belief. It was like bad fanfiction, and having written some bad fanfiction myself in the past I sympathize, but am still disappointed. I thought Angelique's Descent was a really fun book, The Salem Branch however was a bit tedious. I had no real connection to any of the new characters, and was surprised at some of the actions taken by established characters.

I thought it was amusing though, Lara's description of the Salem street layout. I have been there many dozens of times and each time my sister and I get lost only to somehow find ourselves at the same parking area hemmed in by the mall with the cheap movie theater and an old church.

Authors, a word for a moment. Maine in November, Maine at the end of October... there are no bugs, frogs or anything else making noise in the night. Especially not cicadas. Three of the past four years in Waldo County we have had snow on the ground before Halloween. Come November everything is usually barren, brown and dead for the season.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: The Salem Branch - Your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 08:39:12 PM »
Authors, a word for a moment. Maine in November, Maine at the end of October... there are no bugs, frogs or anything else making noise in the night. Especially not cicadas. Three of the past four years in Waldo County we have had snow on the ground before Halloween. Come November everything is usually barren, brown and dead for the season.

I love it!! Someone else who gets annoyed when writers don't get the facts straight!!

I can't tell you how many new novels take place on Long Island.....eveyone has Hampton Fever, I guess.  But it's appallingly obvious that they never look out the Jitney windows on their way out from Manhattan.  And they don't know a damned thing about the locals, and even less about the 300 year history.

Why set a novel in such a specific location as Salem, and then not make the attempt to get it as real as possible?  It would surely be easier to make up a town.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 09:05:01 PM »
Maine in November, Maine at the end of October... there are no bugs, frogs or anything else making noise in the night. Especially not cicadas. Three of the past four years in Waldo County we have had snow on the ground before Halloween. Come November everything is usually barren, brown and dead for the season.

I haven't read The Salem Branch, and have no intention to.  I bought Angelique's Descent and couldn't finish it.  I think Lara's definately got writing talent, however, she should write about something else.  The DS universe, strangely enough, is not her forte, IMHO.  I've read better stories written by the fans.  I say strangely enough because as a cast member, you'd think writing what is essentially fan fiction, would be a no brainer for them.  Oh well...

I find the above interesting.  I'm assuming she had cicadas in November in Maine?  Too much!  Like you and RaineyPark, I get intensely annoyed when a writer, ANY writer, doesn't RESEARCH!  One of the reasons my novel has taken nearly 10 years to write is I want to get it as historically accurate as possible.  Now, having said that, it DOES take place in Parallel Time so I will take a few liberties!   ;) 

I remember watching an episode of Law & Order and there was a case where a woman had done something horrible to her husband, can't remember what, it's been a while, but the ADA makes a reference to the Lorena Bobbit case and said something like, "Well, I suppose it would be allowed in Manassas County" or something to that effect.  The thing that irritated the hell out of me is there is NO Manassas County in the Commonwealth of VA!  Manasssas, where the Bobbits lived, is in Prince William County!  You'd think a show as high brow as L&O would have researched that better and had the ADA say "Prince William County" or "The city of Manassas"!   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:58:36 AM »
I'm in the middle of the book, and liking it so far. As a footnote, I was not able to get to the bookstore when Lara was signing copies, but I phoned and asked if I bought the book, would she sign it and have it shipped out...she did, and very graciously wrote a nice, sweet note. Also, I've tried to find a copy of her first, out-of-print book, Angelique's Descent--and was horrified to find that used copies on adall.com and alibris.com go for $75-150!! I guess it means DS is considered a valuable commodity-but what a rip-off! >:(
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 05:03:20 AM »
I'm in the middle of the book, and liking it so far. As a footnote, I was not able to get to the bookstore when Lara was signing copies, but I phoned and asked if I bought the book, would she sign it and have it shipped out...she did, and very graciously wrote a nice, sweet note. Also, I've tried to find a copy of her first, out-of-print book, Angelique's Descent--and was horrified to find that used copies on adall.com and alibris.com go for $75-150!! I guess it means DS is considered a valuable commodity-but what a rip-off! >:(

that was nice of her rainingwolf i saw one the other day on ebay and could not believe the bids
maybe i should find my copy :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 01:03:59 PM »
While I thought the book started out interestingly enough, by the end I had an entirely different opinion all together. The ending I thought was ludicrous beyond belief.

Completely agree with you about the end. I couldn't believe what I was reading in that last chapter.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »
Quote from: Barnabas'sBride
Completely agree with you about the end. I couldn't believe what I was reading in that last chapter.

Now I'm really curious! I'll be up all night finishing it!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 02:30:53 PM »
i saw one the other day on ebay and could not believe the bids maybe i should find my copy :)

I was thinking the EXACT same thing Jennifer!  I wonder how much I could get for mine!  Basically unused as I couldn't finish it, mint condition!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 03:34:16 PM »
Golly--I gave my copy of Angelique's Descent away to a friend (who I know enjoyed it very much).

I enjoyed reading it--I thought the pre-DS chapters were beautifully written and atmospheric.  Once it got to Collinsport it seemed as if LP had ventured into Twilight Zone territory.  The ending was kind of cool because in some ways it was a paraphrase of an old Sumerian myth about the great Goddess of Sex and Death, Inanna, and Her descent into the Netherworld to visit her dear Sister, Ereshkigal, the Queen of Night.  I know Lara had researched the mythological elements of gothic and horror fiction so I presumed her use of the myth was deliberate.

But I knew I would never need to read the book again, so I gave it away.  I don't think I will be able to read The Salem Branch, but it sounds as if the book is selling well.

G.

David

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 03:42:28 PM »
I haven't read the book yet, but here's a thought:
Craig Hamrick wrote his 2 DS books out of a love for "big Lou" and the show.
RJ Jamison wrote her book on Grayson out of a love for GH and DS.

Lara doesn't love DS, but she loves showbiz and wanted to be a famous actress.
Whether fair or not, she no longer gets cast in films/TV.

DS was her only shot at fame, and it keeps her in the public eye, at least before a niche audience.

She's writing DS novels more out of a desire to rekindle her lost acting career, and has no real love for the show.
No love for it, no feel for it.......

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 04:12:11 PM »
She's has no real love for the show.  No love for it, no feel for it

I feel the EXACT same way David!  Like I said earlier in this thread, I think she has SOME writing talent, but hasn't a CLUE about DS or how DS fiction should be written.  I've read better DS fiction from fans and frankly I think I've written better stuff myself.  ;)  Ones of note would be Karlenfan, Kathy Resch, Jay Keaveny, Bobubas, Selby D. Pearson, Minja.  All I can come up with off the top of my head.  ;)

BTW, Craig Hamrick is also a wonderful writer.  I enjoyed both versions of Big Lou immensely as well as Barnabas & Company.  Looking forward to the revised edition of this one.

As for RJ, I'm only up to Chapter 3 of the GH book, but it's fabulous!  Great jobs Craig and RJ!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 05:02:27 PM »
I dunno if I agree with you here, David.  Lara took two years out of her life (and spent tens of thousands of dollars) to obtain an MFA in Creative Writing as she loves teaching.  This past festival, I asked her about the MFA as I am considering getting one as well in Creative Writing. The way she talked about the politics of getting a teaching position at a university of college and overcoming it, she sounded as if she were anxious to use the degree for teaching and writing.

There are other DS actors who went on to successful careers after acting.  Clarice Blackburn won an Emmy for her work as a soap scriptwriter and Marie Wallace has a very successful career as a photographer and publicist for Columbia Presbyterian Hospital.  She loves the work she does.  No reason to think Lara P. doesnt love writing and teaching.

Sometimes after getting into a profession you thought you would love forever, you find you don't love it so much afterall.  I was getting a lot of work as a professional actor when I stopped being active in the profession.  I didn't care for the lifestyle or working on TV.  I'm sure I am not the only actor who got out of the business in spite of getting work.  Some people decide they want to do something else.

Nancy

DS was her only shot at fame, and it keeps her in the public eye, at least before a niche audience.

She's writing DS novels more out of a desire to rekindle her lost acting career, and has no real love for the show.
No love for it, no feel for it.......

David

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 05:15:57 PM »
Don't misunderstand, Nancy.
I think Lara does love writing.
I'm just not sure if she loves DS!

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 05:29:03 PM »
Oh I understood you, David. I just wanted to address your suggestion she was turning to writing out of some sort of desperation.    I don't think writing novels would necessarily help an acting career; it would, however, help her writing and teaching career. ;D

Nancy

Don't misunderstand, Nancy.
I think Lara does love writing.
I'm just not sure if she loves DS!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 05:37:55 PM »
I haven't read THE SALEM BRANCH yet, but my biggest problem with ANGELIQUE'S DESCENT was Lara's portrayal of familiar characters, making them seem strangely UNfamiliar. Her storytelling is certainly competent, and I would imagine it has improved with her experience since AD. I hope she does a better job of nailing the characters this time around.

Lord knows, my favorite part of writing DREAMS OF THE DARK was getting inside the people of Collinwood and trying to make sure they really -were- the people we know from Collinwood. While I think there was room for some improvement in areas, I think we did OK. :)