Author Topic: The Salem Branch - Your thoughts  (Read 21169 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: The Salem Branch - Your thoughts
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2006, 01:17:57 AM »
Perhaps Lara was in a hurry to finish the book in time for the Fest. Watching DS episodes can be quite time consuming as we all know. In researching artwork that I've done for fanzines, I have spent many an hour watching Willie, Willie, Willie but getting to know the other characters pretty darn well too. Lara should have done her research before writing the book. But I bet she wanted it published in time for the 40th Anniversary Fest. Maybe her wallet is a little fatter now.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Salem Branch - 1692 Witch Triala
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2006, 03:18:42 AM »
I'm near the end--20 pages--but I must share with everyone:  for a dramatization of the Salem trials as described in the book, please check out THREE SOVEREIGNS FOR SARAH, a PBS film from 1985 (available on DVD) starring Vanessa Redgrave, Kim Hunter and Phyllis Thaxter.  This very moving and historically accurate film also reminds us of the McCarthy hearings of the early 50s (as does THE CRUCIBLE), and, to a lessor degree--since this pre-dates the current administration--the arrogance of the Bush/Cheney/Rove White House.  (Perhaps that last connection is what prompted LP to write the book in the first place.)  Regardlaess of your politics, please try to see THREE SOVEREIGNS FOR SARAH.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: The Salem Branch - 1692 Witch Triala
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2006, 04:20:18 AM »
the McCarthy hearings of the early 50s (as does THE CRUCIBLE)

Possibly a little known fact (?), but The Crucible, written by Arthur Miller, was a thinly veiled dramatization of the McCarthy Hearings.  Don't know how many ppl know that.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2006, 05:16:12 AM »
I love the Crucible, what a fantastic play.

The movie made me cry, a LOT.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2006, 04:35:29 PM »
Okay the outrageous ending is.....

See?  What was I saying?  LP doesn't really understand or know the DS world.  It's ironic considering she was ON THE SHOW!  LOL!   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2006, 04:48:46 PM »
Please keep in mind that political discussion is not appropriate for DS Forums.  Thanks.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2006, 04:53:44 PM »
FYI, JFrid played John Proctor in that play at the very first production done at the now famous Williamstown Theater Festival.

Trivia, trivia . . .

Nancy

I love the Crucible, what a fantastic play.

The movie made me cry, a LOT.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2006, 05:17:20 PM »
Perhaps Lara was in a hurry to finish the book in time for the Fest. Watching DS episodes can be quite time consuming as we all know. In researching artwork that I've done for fanzines, I have spent many an hour watching Willie, Willie, Willie but getting to know the other characters pretty darn well too. Lara should have done her research before writing the book. But I bet she wanted it published in time for the 40th Anniversary Fest.

KLS said during this year's cast reunion that LP spent 6 years writing "The Salem Branch."  However, the earliest time I recall that fans were discussing the book's plot was in 2001 on an earlier incarnation of these boards (when our host was VantageNet), and during the 2005 Fest LP announced that the book was in the publisher's hands (a year before it was released) though I believe she did do some reworking after that, so it may be closer to 5 years.  Of course, KLS would never say anything inaccurate, right?  Perish the thought!  Though in her defense, LP was on stage at the time and did not correct her.  But even if we operate on the theory that TSB was 5 years in the making, that's how long the series took to air, and SciFi cut the time in half by airing 2 eps per weekday.  So isn't 5 years plenty of time to figure out the DS characters?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2006, 05:52:15 PM »
KLS said during this year's cast reunion that LP spent 6 years writing "The Salem Branch." ... Of course, KLS would never say anything inaccurate, right?  Perish the thought!

LOL!  You so BAD Midnite!   >:D  But it's true, we all know her 'Pop' said, "Where is it?!  Where is it?!" when [spoiler]he 'died on DS![/spoiler]

I love the Crucible, what a fantastic play.  The movie made me cry, a LOT.

When I went to the 'Maggie Evans' cottage for the first time after the '97 NY Fest, the ppl that own it, the Campbells (friend's of Bobubas' of course!  ;)) told me their son was in The Crucible (movie).  He played the minister who comes from the other town to help w/the trials.  I had literally just seen the movie like 2 weeks before the Fest so had a high old time talking to his mother about how good he was in the movie, not to mention how cute he was.  I think I made a friend for life that day, LOL!  His mom is so cool too, letting us traipse through her house and everything, even got in to the swing of things when the Cheep Productions boys were filming a skit there, saying "Bye Pop" when Selby D. Pearson, playing Sam, yelled inside, "See you later Maggie, going to the Blue Whale now!'  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2006, 09:01:44 PM »
You can be a con guest as a celebrity now Buzz, based on that.  you can recreate the moment on stage with dramatic lighting and everything!

All I can think now is what I just heard Natalie say, about her having known Angelique as a child.    I prefer the Angelique who grew up in Martinique.    Why would someone who had been a witch for a century work as a servant?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2006, 09:04:01 PM »
Though in her defense, LP was on stage at the time and did not correct her.

LP must not have heard her. >:D

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2006, 12:14:59 AM »
Why would someone who had been a witch for a century work as a servant?

The 401-K?

Gerard

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2006, 03:40:19 AM »
I finished the book this afternoon.  First, sorry, Midnight, for bringing politics onto the board--but I must say that the Salem Witch Trials were all about -- in my humble opinion -- politics, and misguided religous fanatics, as DS showed us with Trask, and as LP makes clear in her book.

As for the "last act surprise"...without offering spoilers, the final chapter's revelations, which have been dissed in some board comments, are totally in line with the exposition that we read earlier in the novel, specifically with regards to a certain female character...this is set up very early on, and should not be a surprise to astute readers of the book.

Just my observations and opinions....

Brian

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2006, 05:15:29 AM »
First, sorry, Midnight, for bringing politics onto the board--but I must say that the Salem Witch Trials were all about -- in my humble opinion -- politics, and misguided religous fanatics, as DS showed us with Trask, and as LP makes clear in her book.

Thanks, Brian.  I totally understand the necessity to discuss "The Crucible" and aspects of DS and "The Salem Branch" as political allegory.  It's the characterization of current politics that was problematic.  It's not about passing judgment on any political stance; bringing personal politics onto a DS board just isn't a good idea.  Not that I mind, but I get letters.  That'll be on my tombstone:

Here Lies Midnite
She Got Letters

:P

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2006, 05:42:20 AM »
As for the "last act surprise"...without offering spoilers, the final chapter's revelations, which have been dissed in some board comments, are totally in line with the exposition that we read earlier in the novel, specifically with regards to a certain female character...this is set up very early on, and should not be a surprise to astute readers of the book.

Just my observations and opinions....

I didn't really think it was a surprise, I just thought it wasn't very good.

I mean I really did like Angelique's Descent. I thought it was a very fun and imaginative read, the way LP set up Angelique's childhood. I was kind of let down by TSB. If she writes another novel in the series you BET I will be buying it though.