Author Topic: The Salem Branch - Your thoughts  (Read 21167 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: The Salem Branch - Your thoughts
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2006, 12:52:17 AM »
This is moving off topic a little bit, but I'm interested in how Lara Parker's novels compare to some of the other instances of actors writing fiction based on their characters. I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but I know that Shatner has had a hand in co-writing some novels based on the series. Are there other instances of this happening? Has there been a case of another actor writing solo about his/her character? How were these efforts received in their respective fandoms? Have Mary Sue comparisons been drawn in those instances?

Coming in a bit late on this, but I see that no one else has addressed this.  Trek was my first fandom, and I've tried to keep at least a finger in the water there.  Maybe I'm just fuzzy brained right now, but I can't place any Trek novels that he was involved with.  Maybe I never got or read them, or maybe I've just forgotten. The only ones I remember are his nonfiction bios about the show, and his Tekwar series (which were actually ghost written by an SF author named Ron Goulart, from Shatner's plot outlines).

However, an instance which DOES apply to your question involves an actor named Paul Darrow, who starred in a British Science Fiction Series called Blake's 7.  He wrote a novel (Avon: A Terrible Aspect),  based on his character, Kerr Avon.  The novel was a prequel, set just prior to the opening events of the tv series.  As with LP's book, opinion varied widely, but the majority of fans were not happy with the book.  Dredging up my memories from close to 15 years ago, I remember the major exception being the character being "off" from the series, and the style being more hard boiled detective novel invulnerable protagonist cliche than the  1984 type atmosphere of the original series.  I DO have strong memories of a friend in the publishing industry being so annoyed with the writing style that she took a blue pencil to it, for sheer theraputic purposes. [santa_wink]

Then again, referencing the above about Shatner and his ghost writer:  at least Darrow and (to bring this back to topic) Parker did their own writing.

One other example that just popped into my mind as I was about to post this is a Forever Knight novel co written by Geraint Wynn Davis.  I remember that one being true to the series and the character and well received by the fandom.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2006, 05:52:33 PM »
I think MsCriseyde is correct, that Shatner had his hand in a couple of Trek novels. I've seen a couple of them in a used bookstore near where I live. Maybe I'll drop by there and get the names of them next time I go out. I've also heard of his Tekwar series that Pansity spoke of. IIRC there's a number of books in that series.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2006, 01:06:36 AM »
I finally broke down and got the thing. I'll probably get to it over the Christmas holidays. I look forward to it with excitement and...trepidation.  [santa_cheesy]

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2007, 05:41:35 PM »
I've finally started reading TSB; I'm about halfway through it and have found it generally enjoyable, though Lara's mannerisms constantly threaten to derail me. The most egregious example is on p. 114:

"'I would have expected more genteel behavior from an...English gentleman.' She placed the epithet in verbal italics, her tone sardonic."

That one damn near sent me closing up shop and moving on to Jonathan Maberry's Ghost Road Blues. But I have persevered.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2007, 06:17:10 PM »
Quote from: Mark Rainey
I've finally started reading TSB;
Yes!

But I have persevered.
I feel your pain.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2007, 07:18:10 AM »
The main branch of our library has a big main room with a lot of small shelving displays around with current best sellers, etc.  As I was leaving today I caught a glimpse of the Dark Shadows name in the familiar lettering.  I looked to see what it was and it was The Salem Branch.  I was quite amazed.  Normally the library doesn't have books like that (they don't have the previous two), and that they not only had it, but on prominent display like that really amazed me!

I've only read a few pages so far, but I like the way it starts.
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2007, 11:05:34 PM »
That's neat that it showed up in the library. Wonder if it was donated by a reader?

I thought I'd put up a link to my review of it on my Web site last month, but evidently I didn't.

http://www.stephenmarkrainey.com/logFM07.htm

Scroll down to the entry for March 3, 2007 for the full review.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2007, 02:59:12 AM »
I'll bet someone donated that copy to your library, Josette, or maybe not, I actually saw KLS' 30th anniversary book at one of my local public libraries, though that was the only DS book they had, maybe the staff member who ordered it liked the show....

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »
A blog review: Dark Shadows – The Salem Branch by Lara Parker

A plotl that's sometimes weak and implausible, and writing that's a bit off character. Yup - sounds like what I've come to expect...